Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    What you're talking about is spells that are linked to a cast time; the animation there is just for show. Unlike in SWTOR, where the spell sometimes won't work, unless the animation connects; for example, just look at this video someone linked earlier — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFgy...ature=youtu.be
    Which is the actual bug...
    Quote Originally Posted by openair
    Or you are experiencing the actual bug.
    And not related to the existance of a gcd, activation animations/times, or a responsiveness issue when not experiencing that specific bug...

And no, frostbolts cast animation is not just for show...
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-02 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    WoW's damage is not linked to the animation.

When I still used to play WoW and I would fly (with epic flying) close to a mob that would for example cast fireball you were able to outrun the fireball but still took damage, was funny when you aggroed multiple mobs and had like 10-20 fireballs flying after you.
    I trained a shadowbolt all around Outland for about 15 minutes on a verrrry slow day. I was shocked by how amusing I found this little screaming skull chasing me high above ground for miles and miles and miles...

If it wasn't for the quests/story I would not have logged on a second time. Combat is complete fucking garbage, it's insanely hard to enjoy it when your character is only half functional.

Combat has been great for me. Very fluid and responsive, and not slow at all. I enjoy my JK much more than anything I ever played in WoW.

Deleted
    I've felt like this since the first few minutes I took control of my character in the beta period pre-release. Its the same thing I felt with Rift, Aion, Warhammer and Conan. Its an almost elusive disconnect between you and your character that is just not present in WOW at all. Whatever you think about Blizzard, they completely nailed their combat and character responsiveness from the very first build. Do any of you remember the amazing battles in Tarren Mill and the Barrens with hundreds of horde and alliance warring, before they introduced PVP rewards or honour systems? Just think about that for a second. People were warring just for the sheer joy of the game and the combat. I haven't encountered that in any other game since.

I'm as sure, as its possible to be, that many of us feel weird in SWTOR because Blizzard got their combat and character responsiveness basically perfect, and once you play with that, you can't go back. You just can't accept combat that is slower or clunkier or a character that is less responsive. This is why all the other MMOs failed and WOW still stands head and shoulders above all. Forget the gear upgrades, the level ups, the skill points, the epeen - the ultimate hook and the main incentive to play is the joy of the combat - that's what MMOs have to have right. WOW combat is actually fun in of itself. I've been playing BGs for seven bloody years, yet I haven't lasted a month in any of the new games and its always for the same reason - that weird clunkiness that's hard to pin down onto one particular cause.

I've been trying to get this across through a few responses in the ability delay thread on the SWTOR forums. I really really hope that Bioware pull smooth combat and character responsiveness off over the next two weeks and prevent thousands fleeing the game. If they get it right, people honestly won't give two shits about the lack of LFG, pvp balance or the bugs as the game will just have sticking power due to smooth and fun combat.

You need to walk before you can fly, and in the MMO world its about time the developers stopped wasting millions on pointless garbage like voiceovers until they have utterly perfected the part of MMOs that keeps us all coming back.

Hoping, but not optimistic. The situation is too similar to all the other recent MMO launches which all fell flat.

SWTOR feels clunky in combat department, but I think I will get used to it. It brings so much to the table that I am willing to put up with some defects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loob View Post
    I've felt like this since the first few minutes I took control of my character in the beta period pre-release. Its the same thing I felt with Rift, Aion, Warhammer and Conan. Its an almost elusive disconnect between you and your character that is just not present in WOW at all. Whatever you think about Blizzard, they completely nailed their combat and character responsiveness from the very first build. Do any of you remember the amazing battles in Tarren Mill and the Barrens with hundreds of horde and alliance warring, before they introduced PVP rewards or honour systems? Just think about that for a second. People were warring just for the sheer joy of the game and the combat. I haven't encountered that in any other game since.

I'm as sure, as its possible to be, that many of us feel weird in SWTOR because Blizzard got their combat and character responsiveness basically perfect, and once you play with that, you can't go back. You just can't accept combat that is slower or clunkier or a character that is less responsive. This is why all the other MMOs failed and WOW still stands head and shoulders above all. Forget the gear upgrades, the level ups, the skill points, the epeen - the ultimate hook and the main incentive to play is the joy of the combat - that's what MMOs have to have right. WOW combat is actually fun in of itself. I've been playing BGs for seven bloody years, yet I haven't lasted a month in any of the new games and its always for the same reason - that weird clunkiness that's hard to pin down onto one particular cause.

I've been trying to get this across through a few responses in the ability delay thread on the SWTOR forums. I really really hope that Bioware pull smooth combat and character responsiveness off over the next two weeks and prevent thousands fleeing the game. If they get it right, people honestly won't give two shits about the lack of LFG, pvp balance or the bugs as the game will just have sticking power due to smooth and fun combat.

You need to walk before you can fly, and in the MMO world its about time the developers stopped wasting millions on pointless garbage like voiceovers until they have utterly perfected the part of MMOs that keeps us all coming back.

Hoping, but not optimistic. The situation is too similar to all the other recent MMO launches which all fell flat.
    Good news then

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...912#edit897912

I quote

This issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.
    It appears it is a rather complicated issue. Fascinating.

I have no problems with this. The game has responded just as it should. It seems like one person mentioned it now everyone imagines the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

The only real issue Ive had has been with the Jedi Knight Riposte ability, where sometimes the attack sort of gets stuck at the beginning and doesn't follow through. Other then that, I've really enjoyed the combat across multiple toons and all roles, feels better to me than any MMO since WoW.
    Yub Yub

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrate View Post
    I have no problems with this. The game has responded just as it should. It seems like one person mentioned it now everyone imagines the problem.
    Yep, the countless videos on Youtube demonstrating the problem are all imaginations.

When I still used to play WoW and I would fly (with epic flying) close to a mob that would for example cast fireball you were able to outrun the fireball but still took damage, was funny when you aggroed multiple mobs and had like 10-20 fireballs flying after you.
    thats a lie, i cant even count how many times i was running from fireball's/shadowbolt's etc in wow i always found it funny on my mage blinking and such, wow combat feels perfect for me eventho wow doesnt feel appealing anymore, i just cant stand it , i still dont get it why people still defend the game(swotr) when there are known bugs, we all know they just released but we also know its 2012 and considering there are a lot of mmo's available now, im sure they could have learn something from them, im starting to think they decided to get all the cash from sales and then bail on us, coz tbh i havent seen any problems fixed even tho they released a small patch alrdy.. anyway, we just have to wait and see. but for some reason i cant trust EA
    By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Good news then

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...912#edit897912

I quote

It appears it is a rather complicated issue. Fascinating.
    Yeah it is good news. I really really hope they can sort this out. The game has sooooo much going for it, but I fear it will not matter should this not get sorted. Its essential for the short term survival and medium term growth of the game. I can basically find no fault with this game apart from this one issue but this issue is so important that it needs the attention of all of their brightest minds.

If they do get it right, they can all go guffawing their way to the bank as millions will play this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, no problems here.

Yep, the countless videos on Youtube demonstrating the problem are all imaginations.
    Just because it happens for one person, doesn't mean it happens for all idiot.

Don't call other posters idiots. Infracted. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-01-03 at 12:31 AM.

Playing a Smuggler / Gunslinger... the whole cover system is notorious if you ask me :/

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Which is the actual bug...

And not related to the existance of a gcd, activation animations/times, or a responsiveness issue when not experiencing that specific bug...

And no, frostbolts cast animation is not just for show...
    I think you're confused

The animation for casting Frostbolt is your guy waving his hands around, with blue stuff and snowflakes.

The actual Missle is what's not just for show — this is a Spell Effect, linked to a Missle; not an animation

Not every spell in WoW is a Missle, only some, and these are the ones that require a connection with the target to do their damage. In SWTOR, not every spell requires a connection; but there seem to be a lot more, especially for Melee Classes
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Playing a Smuggler / Gunslinger... the whole cover system is notorious if you ask me :/
    Yeah, main reason i decided to swap my gunslinger for a sorcerer as a main.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Sileh

Quote Originally Posted by Fower View Post
    thats a lie, i cant even count how many times i was running from fireball's/shadowbolt's etc in wow i always found it funny on my mage blinking and such, wow combat feels perfect for me eventho wow doesnt feel appealing anymore, i just cant stand it , i still dont get it why people still defend the game(swotr) when there are known bugs, we all know they just released but we also know its 2012 and considering there are a lot of mmo's available now, im sure they could have learn something from them, im starting to think they decided to get all the cash from sales and then bail on us, coz tbh i havent seen any problems fixed even tho they released a small patch alrdy.. anyway, we just have to wait and see. but for some reason i cant trust EA
    This happened all the time in WoW. I don't recall what mobs Sileh is referring to anymore (I think the ogrila dailies?), but yeah, you could trail a huge amount of fireballs behind you if you had epic flying.

Have a 32 Jedi Shadow, a 16 Scoundrel, and 12 Commando, and I have yet to notice this ability lag and such. So far, the only problem I have come across was using the channeled heal behind cover as a scoundrel, which will often not finish. As far as the feel of the game, it feels fine to me. Either I'm just not noticing it, or maybe it's because I play a lot of different games, I've just learned to adapt to it without thinking.

I don't think anybody is really defending the bugs, so much as it is just acceptance of bugs in an MMO on launch. SWTOR is definately one of the smoothest launches in an MMO I've played. There are not even close to the same amount of problems in this game as WoW, Vangaurd, and AOC. WAR and Rift were pretty good on launch too, but both were not without problems. The issue here is that a majority of WoW players got into WoW when pretty much all the issues were ironed out. Those of us who played WoW from the start didn't have much issues with bugs as through experience or knowledge of previous MMOs, knew to expect bugs. MMOs were also a hardcore genre in gaming back then as well. The audience was different, mostly people who were PC gamers, and as such also expected bugs in our games in the first version.

And 2 weeks into the game release isn't much time to fix all the bugs. Hell, I remember WoW mining node and loot lag to be present for several months before it got fixed. And even with that fix, loot lag has been a problem for years. WoW was also under 4GB on launch, SWTOR is about 20GB on launch. Of course there is going to be some issues with a 20GB MMO.

If you're not down with playing a game with a few bugs and issues here and there, there is nothing stopping you from waiting several months until all the issues are ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Nope, no problems here.
    Just because it happens for one person, doesn't mean it happens for all idiot.
    You do realize that there is a 4000+ post thread in the official forums about this issue right?
    And that there are plenty of movie snippets explaining what is "wrong" with the current state of animations/responsivness (it has nothing to do with delay/lag) and that even Bioware itself recognized that these issues are there?

yeah, no problems..

Just because it doesn't happen for 1 idiot it doesn't mean it happens for some/most/a lot of us.

I have no problems with the combat system in SWTOR. Is it different than WoW? Rift? LoTRO? Yes, it is. Is it worse? Slow? Unresponsive? No, it's not.

The main problem people are having is they're not going to be happy with anything. They see some asshole whining about the game being unresponsive and they silently think to themselves, "Hey, it is kind of unresponsive now that he said something about it..." and then proceed to piss all over every message board they can with their whining.

It's the same for every other MMO out there. There is always something someone hates about a game that 400 other people suddenly hate about it to.

If the game is not responding to you, maybe you need to lay off the energy drinks and phase back into reality, Wally.

i can understand a few quest bugs, even a few game crushes we all know how it works, but when u actually tested the game for a while and u know it will have some huge bugs, ability delay and fps problem thats something huge for me, u just cant do it, unless u have some hunger for money, i have read some gaming magazines and in all swotr articles they will say that it runs bad even tho u got a decent pc.. anyway i rly hope they will fix it coz other than that its a good looking game and very promising.
    By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail