Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Smile What do you like about SW:TOR

Hello, I thought it would be a good idea to see what people think is the best thing about SW:TOR thus far. This can be whatever you LIKE about SW:TOR, this is not a thread where we complain or look at what is wrong with the game, simply just type what we like about it, and it's also nice, but not mandatory, to explain why.

Personally I like the class quests, why? Well it's just an epic feeling too them, it connects you more to the story and actually means you get more connected to the game, something I never did with other games like WoW.

What do you like?

Deleted
    I like:

1) That there are no arenas or competitive PvP
    2) That even non-MMO fans like the levelling experience
    3) The Quick Travel function
    4) The space combat as a diversion every now and then

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Khem Val
    2) Lightening
    3) The environments are really neat. I like the look of the game in in general
    4) Heroic Quests are fun as hell

Deleted
    Haven't bought it yet but I think that the "meditation" looks really great compared to WoW's food/drink system.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The way distant mountains and rocks look.
    2. The stories of all the classes.
    3. The companions. They really get me immersed into the story and into their own stories.
    4. The sound and feel of using Death from Above, Pulse Cannon, Master Strike, Back Blast, many lightning abilities from an Inquisitor and many other amazing moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

A lot of things, honestly. When I log in I get giddy, because that's just how much I enjoy the game. I haven't felt this way since early WoW.

*I like the things your droid says on your ship, it always makes me laugh or smile in how awkwardly cute he is
    *I like thinking about what companions I'm going to get, and wondering how they'll be introduced in the story
    *I like the story of my first character so much, I can't believe there are 7 more stories I still have to play (and Act 2 and Act 3 of my 1st!)
    *I like Huttball
    *I like the fact that we don't have mounts that can get you anywhere in 5 minutes. I like the distance in the world.
    *I like making morality choices.
    *I like flirting with female NPCs, I find it fun
    *I like the different worlds, and how each has its own really well built story
    *I like the community
    *I like saving up my credits, and sending my companions to work while I'm questing
    *I like LEVELING. I never thought I would, but I love it.

These are the small things I can think about now.

1) The community on my server is still wide-eyed and innocent (and indulgently geeky). I like being surrounded by players who are excited about the game's content and potential, and aren't yet resentful of BioWare or of each other. Granted, the vibe will likely change once everyone gets settled in and e-peens start developing, but I'm enjoying the innocence while it lasts.

2) The plot text when logging in is a great feature, especially when playing alts whose storylines I don't immediately remember. It's also helps me feel like my character is doing something important, as opposed to just picking up quests and doing them.

3) Even though a lot of the dialogue is just exposition, there are little gems here and there that make me laugh/smile. *spoiler-ish warning* One of my favorite moments from the Jedi Consular storyline: "(ominous Sith Lord voice) I wasn't sure if you'd be foolish enough to come aboard, Jedi... but I can sense your presence..." Jedi: "Did the DOCKING STARSHIP clue you in as well?"

4) The astromech droids always have cute things to say, like "T7 + Jedi = unstoppable!" The jawas are also adorable, and I'm looking forward to rolling a bounty hunter just to have one as a companion.

There's a lot more I love, like the beautiful graphics, exceptional voice acting, class storylines, etc. I do have a lot of gripes as well, but overall it's been a nice change of scenery from WoW.

1. Story, questing and overall feeling of NOT grinding through levels
    2. Superb voice acting
    3. Skill animations
    4. Worlds and world travel
    5. Spaceships and spacecombat
    6. Good community
    7. No LFD tool
    8. Crafting system
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    1, the graphical style.
    2, The planets.
    3, space

Deleted
    In no particular order:
    - I love the bonus "kill x amount of unit y" quests, they never feel dull because they aren't forced on me and if I feel I can skip that extra experience and carry on with the story I can.
    - I love the voice acting, especially the dialogs on the Black Talon, I get so into it each time and I just love it!
    - I love the companion system and their personalities, Quinn is so darn cute and always get uncertain of what to do when you flirt with him.
    - I love the star-ships and the space battles, an awesome way to earn that extra experience and credits.
    - I love the class story lines, and the quest storys in general.
    - I love the professions, not having to run all around the world farming mats, but still the option to be able to is great in my opinion.
    - I love the fully modifiable gear, if you find a piece you really like the look of and it can be modified, you can use it for so many levels for as long as you update the armor, mod and enchantment.
    -I love the community, even if you at times run into an occasional douche-bag, my overall experience is great.
    - I love the environment on the planets, they all look great and it's awesome to explore them, aside from getting stuck once in a while. ^^
    - I love the combat, I don't miss the auto attack one bit, the animations and abilities just look pure awesome.
    -I love the advanced classes system, I can feel that I really have something in common with another class as we get partly the same abilities, yet we can specialize in being good at completely different things.
    - I love how the choices I make while questing affects my companions and my story-line, the fact that npc's you have helped often send a mail to you with an update to how it went afterwards, and that it is not always happy-dappy is just superb. I once got a mail from a person who's life I spared, who wished me dead and regretted begging for his life because now his life was worse than ever. ^^

Will update if I come up with more, but at the moment I must rush off to make something to eat.

- I like the million mini instances where you progress your story. some of those ai's are really tuned to your abilities and I would never suggest levelling too far ahead of the reommended level. Makes the levelling challenging and when it is challenging it also makes it more meaningfull. Why do you think everybody remembers Hogger? Because everybody would at one point in time get raped by him a few times over.

- Companion system is great. Also the effect it has on crafting.

- Huttball, wether you like it or not is a well thought out pvp game. Simple like most sports but there are more tactics involved then you could imagine at first. Because it is a "ballgame" it is also more viewerfriendly compared to wow arena which is more rock-paper-scissor/chess style and not really great for viewing.

- I like the smuggler class story a lot. I am not even a true republic(an?) and get to do some deals/missions for the empire here and there. I also like that different companies add different lines for flavour in your story. One of my companions actually has pretty dry/sarcastic humor which works well with my dark choices hehe.

- I like the looks of my abilities and those of others as well. I also don't feel weaker because I am not a jedi or so. I am pretty sure a kick in the nuts followed by a shotgunblast in the face is as lethal as swinging a lightsaber haha.

- I am not going to say I like it a lot but I certainly do not mind levelling in this game. I levelled a holy/ret paladin as an alt in Vanilla and ever since I absolutely hated levelling. I think vanilla players who have done the same will know what I am talking about. Right now I just get annoyed at the start of planets when that planets story has to start and also reason why my smuggler is there is starting. I like that every planet basically leads up to a culmination of events on that planet. After being 25% in at a planet I really want to see whats up at the end or just kill the damn bastard that did something to you or whatever reason.

- Most (after the first 2-3) flashpoints are pretty good. Too easy perhaps but some of the boss mechanics were actually new(ish) or well stolen at least. The design of the places is really good too.

- And the biggest thing is that it is aesthetically pleasing or how you want to call it. That thing that you cant put your finger on but what makes WoW so great and other MMORPG's just flop. Some people have various reasons for other games to flop like LFD systems, not different enough from WoW/too different from WoW, bad PVP etc.. This imo is so stupid. The reason that you hear every time for people getting hooked on wow was because the game looks great (not technically maybe but aesthetically), plays great, feels great. Remember what made you level to 60/70/80 every time even though that level grind alone was probably one of the longest times you ever played a single game. This is why you still play. WoW like most other blizzard games have this feel of quality and everything. I don't know how to describe it well but some guy posted a youtube video of some gamesite trying to explain it and doing it much better haha.
    Anyways, I can say that even though Swtor has not been THAT great as WoW in that regard, it does catch me for the first time again after trying them all pretty much (War, AoC, Rift, Aion etc.)

Kira Carsen and female Gunslinger voice acting...
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    -I love how mobs don't just stand there on their own, they hide, come from above, unburrow themselves
    -I love the feeling of the Sith Juggernaut, specially on endgame, when you're virtually unstoppable
    -I love the choice system, sometimes asking you to take decisions on topics and actions some other mmo's quest wouldn't even mention (Man, I would have loved to puch some WoW NPC's in the face...)
    -The variety of planets
    -SPACE MISSIONS
    -Coruscent, Kaas City, Hoth and Tatooine, nuff said.
    -The fact that the devs are apparently ready to blow our minds even more with guild MOTHERSHIPS !! Imperial Destroyer, anyone ?

khem val, possibly the best companion i have ever seen in any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Vast landscapes not stuffed with questhubs (Some might call it "dead space". I call it good world design.)
    - Leveling crafting with companions
    - Companions
    - Gear modifications
    - No downtime, or handling with eating/drinking because everyone has his own fast regeneration ability
    - Space battles
    - No corpseruns
    - Group quests !!!
    - no LFD, although a server wide (optional) lfg chat would be handy

I like the Force Lightning Spell Effect, and some of the Voice Acting (Darth Thanaton's being Number One)
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the crafting (even though a lot of it's seemingly pointless),companions and the leveling in the game. While I'm not much for the 'filler' side quests, the story quests are mostly excellent. Oh and while it's not a major thing, I do like how you get health back in the game.

Pretty much everything people have already listed, but I'll add this: the mobs aren't always complete pushovers.

I absolutely love the fact that I get to utilize my full skillset and that of my companion when I encounter elites or groups of strong mobs in the world. I actually died twice trying to beat a class quest elite and had to completely rethink my strategy to beat him. Instead of tons of pointless grinding there's less encounters, but they take much more effort to beat.

I really hope they don't nerf the mobs in the world or the class quests, atleast not until I've leveled my chars.

Only level 16 so far, but here's what I like:

-voice acting / cut scenes during quests and flashpoints, and light / dark points: being able to make a decision that has an impact (albeit a small one) is refreshing to see in a game like this. Quite frankly, this game has set the benchmark for MMO quest quality from here on out (though other single player RPGs do this just as well)

-companion tasks, affection, and the ability to gear them. An excellent way to 'stay involved' with your npc.

-1 spec available to you. While you still have 3 trees that can be re-set, it's nice to see an MMO actually make the player stick with a decision. Hopefully it stays that way.

-no recount / gs / dbm / etc etc. This will all probably change over time, but it's great as it is right now, from a community perspective.

-combat: While not quite as fluid and perfected as WoW is, combat in this game is quite good. The energy-derived system for classes (force, heat, etc), is very well done. I wouldn't be surprised to see mana in WoW undergo a serious revamp in the future along these lines.

-random heroic quest encounters and mini-world bosses: fun to see, and they can definitely kick your ass.

I have been 50 over a week now and I can say, SWTOR is one of my favourite games of all time.
    That being said, I am a huge star wars fan, I loved kotor, other bioware rpgs and played and loved WoW for over 6 years.
    So its not a surprise I adore SWTOR.

On the other side, I totelly understand all the negative aspects of the game, most people who critizize mention valid points and oubltlessly, lots of players will return to WoW. but not me.

I can live with most of the faults. many things others dislike I dont find too bad, some of them I even like.

The levelup was amazing, no grind, I never had alts in other MMOS, here I have alread 2 in their 20s. its just 100% fun with a great singleplayer part and more MMO content than most other MMOs, great heroic quests that are more like little flashpoints. the flashpoints themselves are surprisingly well done as is the whole endgame content, which was my greatest concern.

but the PVP rocks as hell, I played a mage in WoW, but the sorceror is even much more fun. voidstar and alderaan are very nice arathi/sota clones, but huttball is a truly amazing, totally new warzone. being played on 4 layers, every class can use their pull/push/throw moves to help their team in a smart and fun way. the heroic flashpoints and raids are really at least as good as the cataclysm ones, all encounter require very spezific tactics, it's great to have 3 difficulties and with new operations being released in january, I really dont have any concerns for the endgame anymore.

I had extremely high hopes and expectations for this game, and I do not feel disappointed a bit. on the contrary, I cant wait to get home and enjoy it more and more.