Deleted

Kicking from my wireless network?

Hello everyone.

I have a question here:

So for the last week my internet is getting worse and my ISP keeps telling me that someone's downloading something everytime, so I wanna check all the connections to my wi-fi router (Linksys WRT54GL) and possibly kick them? If that's possible though.

Thanks in advance

15+ Year Old Account
    do u have a password for the network? if not them some could be doing it tht way or someone in ur house is downloading while u play

Deleted
    That's the thing I forgot to mention:

Couple days ago my wi-fi network just magically renamed it back to stock name (linksys) and removed the password. No one else in the house downloads anything (checked it myself) and I'm living pretty far away from town and the only neighbor I got here is a guy whose house is only building atm, so I'm confused what might be eating up the network (or just my ISP is an ahole and just cuts off my internet power on New Years weekends?)

Deleted
    This is a link to the manual for the Linksys WRT54GL: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21136171/L...-router-manual

The web configuration interface for your router should allow you to view a "DHCP Clients Table" (provided DHCP is enabled) which will contain information (including the MAC address) of every device connected to your router. You could then remove their DHCP lease. But that isn't very effective. You can find more info on page 58-59 of the manual. A better idea is to set up a MAC filter. If configured correctly (read the manual first!) it will only allow devices you specified to access the network. Find out how on page 44.

Dahawk already suggested setting up a password for your network which is a very good idea. Find out more on page 41 of the manual.

Deleted
    Thanks for reply,

yeah I'm not a huge brain in these kind of thing but I can change th WPA, but will this kick the current users from the Network and ask them to insert the WPA or they will continue using it without a need to enter it unless they reconnect?

P.S Corbomite How'd I go to this "DHCP Clients Table" ? Can't seem to find it in the manual you linked. (Sorry if It's there :S)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    open a web broswer, type in: 192.168.1.1
    that will allow you to connect to your router and change settings (you will need to enter login and password (normally its admin/admin as the default)

If you still have the setup disc that came with your linksys router, that might be your best bet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    open a web broswer, type in: 192.168.1.1
    that will allow you to connect to your router and change settings (you will need to enter login and password (normally its admin/admin as the default)

If you still have the setup disc that came with your linksys router, that might be your best bet
    I got this step, but what to do next (to view connections via DHCP)? I just see the DHCP page where i can choose max connections and starting ip for them but nothing more :/