how to not sleep through spine?

NOTE: this is a You Mad thread. liberal usage of ZOMG to elaborate the thread's dramatic effects.

Scenario: 10m normal spine of deathwing.

Raid compo: burst dmg heavy. doing heroic attempts of other easier bosses.

Your Spec: demo & destro (gear/reforged towards destro) - using destro here.

Team DK tank: "ZOMG, my dps is higher than yours!!!111!!!"

Facts: Team DK tank's dps higher than mine.

Facts: blood add died before i finished hard casting a soulfire

Facts: (big add's HP @ 50%, 2-3 stacks of blood) "ZOMG, big add's HP too low, no more dotz"

Facts: (3 seconds later) "ZOMG, whose dots are those" "locks & his imps"

Facts: (dps on tendons) "ZOMG, you did pathetic dmg on the tendons!!!111!"

Facts: (teammate gets fiery gripped) grip was loose before i finished hard casting a soulfire

Takeaway - use nether ward every 30 secs. wait for trinket drop.

Anyone who complains about the actual dps numbers of any class on regular spine is just trolling you, take it less seriously.

However, one point is:

Facts: (dps on tendons) "ZOMG, you did pathetic dmg on the tendons!!!111!"
    Tendons are the only part where your actual dps matters, on normal mode they can easily be killed with 5-10 seconds spare if everyone in the raid is good.

tl;dr - If your tendon dps is low you need to work it out, if your overall dps is low, forget about it.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

My dps on tendon is good, but the mage is doing twice the amount of dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by alexishomer View Post
    My dps on tendon is good, but the mage is doing twice the amount of dmg.
    That seems almost normal unfortunately. Trying using a Soulburn-Soulfire immediately and Demon Soul a few seconds before the tendon is up. Then Immolate>conflag>incinerate spam. Shadowburn+conflag should be available the last few seconds.

Also make sure your pet is on the tendon. This is also a great time to Pot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankerbellx View Post
    That seems almost normal unfortunately. Trying using a Soulburn-Soulfire immediately and Demon Soul a few seconds before the tendon is up. Then Immolate>conflag>incinerate spam. Shadowburn+conflag should be available the last few seconds.

Also make sure your pet is on the tendon. This is also a great time to Pot.
    This. If you're wasting like 3s to hard cast a SF on the tendon, that mage (especially arc) is gonna 1112 all over you. There's three tendons, 3 soul burns w/o 4pc. Keeping up ISF the rest of the time on normal mode just seems silly to me imo. Too much random up/down time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post
    Anyone who complains about the actual dps numbers of any class on regular spine is just trolling you, take it less seriously.

However, one point is:

Tendons are the only part where your actual dps matters, on normal mode they can easily be killed with 5-10 seconds spare if everyone in the raid is good.

tl;dr - If your tendon dps is low you need to work it out, if your overall dps is low, forget about it.
    Try playing a warlock, it takes 10 seconds to even get to our filler spell
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Try playing a warlock, it takes 10 seconds to even get to our filler spell
    I'm a pure warlock player I know exactly what its like to get to our filler spell. He does not necessarily need to beat the arcane mage of course he's gonna lose in that burst vs. burst contest. My point, which was illustrated much better by the poster below me, was that he may not be doing the tendon dps in the proper way, especially if he's hardcasting soul fire.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

i have 4p tier 13. and i always save it for the tendon. but yet, it is more than hard to perform at the top capacity a lock can in other encounters.

Honestly, there's only ever downtime on this fight interspersed throughout a period of maybe a minute, when you're killing bloods for the first amalgamation. Less than a blood dk is pretty inexcusable no matter how you slice it, unless you never got past the first tendon.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Deleted
    There's three tendons, 3 soul burns w/o 4pc.
    Well there are plenty of mobs dying anyway, shards shouldn't be an issue on this fight

Deleted
    Warlock is not a burst class.
    AoE on spine is not somtheing you want.
    Multidot on spine is not desired nor necessary.
    Warlocks are not that usefull on spine and is not as efficient as it can be.
    Accept the fact, and move along... there are other bosses for us to shine !

Best warlock spec on spine is demonology with MWC sync for tendrils.
    Last edited by mmoc79483d36b0; 2012-01-04 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    The damage you can do on Tendons as destruction is sufficient, not much less or higher than any other class. At least that's what I do.

As stated earlier, if you don't have the 4pc bonus just save soul burn but if you do just try to time it so that you have soul burn up for when the Tendon phase is inc.

It's so easy to just do a ton of damage on the Tendon I don't see what your problem is. Also, after the first Tendon your group shouldn't have much downtime if you're doing it correctly which means almost constant nuke on the Amalgamation or quick burst to get Fiery Grip down (I'm taking care of Fiery Grip with my lock alone with no problems).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Well there are plenty of mobs dying anyway, shards shouldn't be an issue on this fight
    Oh silly me. Sometimes I forget you can Drain Soul on every spec and not just Afflic lol.

it's funny how there was essentially no need for my dps on anything other than the tendon.

Being a Caster dps on spine is kinda nearly useless...
    Burning Tendron is where it counts and where imho Destro shines, instant Soulfire and gogo!
    Its besides tendron not a dps race with minimal dps you can get the adds low enough in time.
    If your raid/guild really QQ about that explain them and ask where you should improve, make sure you have an addon or log where it shows tendron dmg.
    There is no excuse to hardcast soulfire on the tendron, i find myself to have at least 1 free Soulfire every tendron and im blasting most of my CD's on them 1st and 3rd 2nd one we use Bloodlust

I'm mildly curious, what are you Destruction locks managing on tendons? I'm having a hard time believing it can keep up with Demonology in that regard (although either way I'm going to have to be Demo for 10% spellpower), but I haven't actually bothered trying it out since we're a little low on damage (usually if a grip goes off during it, it gets really down to the wire or just doesn't die on the first go).

This last week I did ~2.3M damage on tendons with each dying in one lift, so I'd imagine with them up the full time I could probably manage 800k per pretty well, plus I was an idiot and was out of range for Immolation Aura 2 out of 3 lifts last week >< Just curious what you Destruction locks are seeing.
    Verily, thou shalt rejoice in the house of the tentacle.

Deleted
    DPS after fight for me was 14k, it is so because you only do your 25k at tendon, after that you kill other corruptions or blood, while also keeping dots on big add. Problem is that you as a warlock don't wanna overdps big add before it has 9 stacks, but everything else has so low hp that hunters kill it with instants before you get decent number of casts on it.
    So you basically end up wasting few secs at each add which adds to your total dps because your dots are up on big add or your pet is attacking something.
    At the end we had hunter with 19k, 3ppl with 14k and one with 12k. But damage on tendon was from 33k-22k per dps. If anyone thinks that the important dps is one you have done on the whole fight they should probably watch some more fight guides. XD

Deleted
    Immolate all the bloods you see! It's like the only special thing I found to do there.

...and then frost DK said he'll take care of them.

...and I felt useless again.

Last edited by mmoc54ae987777; 2012-01-06 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    Oh silly me. Sometimes I forget you can Drain Soul on every spec and not just Afflic lol.
    Or Shadow Burn as destro, you know! Annoying though because you can only really use it on the tendons or corruptions, as the blood don't give you shards back. I guess you could use amals if you timed it right, but I never manage to. >.>
    Seriously though, can someone answer the thread title? It's really hard not to go afk sometimes. Especially on the first amal, waiting on blood stacks forever... THE most boring fight ever.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

Deleted
    As for Shadowburn - since the spell is bugged and never wants to "count" because of lag, on spine you use it on Amalgamation when it's casting nuclear blast. Simple like that, it's long enough on 1hp so it doesn't die before the debuff kicks in ^^