Thread: Car or desktop

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Car or desktop

I just got my first paycheck for 530 bucks. I had around 890 dollars already in my account which totals to around 1300 dollars. My dad also made a deal with me saying that he would pay for half of a car of my choosing. So my question is should i get a car or a new desktop?

depends on how's your situation

do you need to go to a work or something to get car

or you are gonna use your Desktop for lots of useful things
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

It also depends on your situation and location. Do you need to pay car insurance? Do you need to pay additional taxes? Special levies? Is your work-place close by or far away? How cheap/accurate is your local public transportation? Can you get to work by bike? Do you need a new computer? Do you need a computer for your work?

All in all, where I live (in a city in the Netherlands), owning a car is pretty much silly. You pay a lot of money each month for something that's doing pretty much nothing most of the time. Petrol doesn't come cheap, either, so even if you have one, it's usually better to take your bike, or just go walking. Considering that, public transportation is much more efficient.

However, if you live somewhere where you need to travel a lot, often and far, then a car is a good investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could get an item for worth $1300 or an item worth $2600. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Car. Unless you need a good PC for work.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

I'm visiting my dad over winter break and I may or may not be transferring colleges to where im currently at. I can walk to work in less then 5 mins. I'm playing on a new laptop although its not the greatest, but it gets the job done.

Deleted
    No offense but these kind of threads gotta be the most useless ones you can find anywhere on the internet. I mean come on, you want a bunch of random anonymous people to make a decision for you on a matter that affects highly on your life. Can't you think by yourself at all? How can we know what your needs and desires are?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by J0rge View Post
    No offense but these kind of threads gotta be the most useless ones you can find anywhere on the internet. I mean come on, you want a bunch of random anonymous people to make a decision for you on a matter that affects highly on your life. Can't you think by yourself at all? How can we know what your needs and desires are?
    I think I love you.

2600$ car or a 1300$ desktop when you have a new laptop already? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    2600$ car or a 1300$ desktop when you have a new laptop already? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
    Yeah, definitely a new desktop. I agree.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Save a few more weeks and buy a nicer car
    530 a week give it 2 months and have like 5k and 5k from ur dad!

Get a desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imposter View Post
    Save a few more weeks and buy a nicer car
    530 a week give it 2 months and have like 5k and 5k from ur dad!
    What this guy said, a car is very convenient....I mean unless you hardly go out anyways. I guess you should get the desktop if that's the case
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

15+ Year Old Account
    Get a car. Unless you're going to make a living on your desktop, you'll get more for your life out of a car.

Plus you can bang a girl in a car. Not so much on a desktop (computer).
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Neither. Save it.

Do you have a car currently? If yes, save your money. If no, save your money and buy a better car. Anything under 5k is gonna cost another 5k in repairs in the following years... I'd pool your money and get something that will last (japanese auto).

Car = social in real world

Desktop = kind of social on interweb

hmm...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by J0rge View Post
    It's called a second opinion. He probably already knows what he is going to do with his money. He just wants other people's, even if they are randoms, opinion on the situation. Also, this is the Off Topic Fourms, anything goes.

Back to the topic. I'd save more money for a much better vehicle, if I were you. Like people have posted before, the car is going cost an arm and a leg in repairs. In my case however, I'd get neither, having a fucking car in NY is hell, and I already have a desktop that is fairly powerful.
    Last edited by Gottie4u; 2012-01-06 at 07:05 AM.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Deleted
    depends what you need to do.

In my situation i got a car, thats because i needed a car and didnt need a desk top as much. Bought one of those later

Deleted
    $500 a month for a car? What do you guys fill it up with, Liquid gold?

Deleted
    I'd say a desktop