Thoughts on EVE online?

So I've been playing EVE recently, and thoroughly enjoy it. I will be the first to admit that it isn't for everyone. I'll also admit that if you aren't playing with a group of people regularly, it's horribly boring. I'll also admit that as a new player (insert iconic learning curve graph) it is quite a task to get the swing of if you don't have people to help you. Currently I'm in a large alliance and we're at war and I have found so much more entertainment out of it than any other mmo.

Basically, I'm just looking for some discussion on the game. If you are in an alliance, which one? What do you like to do? What do you think of the new expansion?

Also...here's today's sovereignty map! (random but I like looking around at it): http://dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/.../influence.png

I'd like to talk about the training system first; everyone seems to hate it. But I love it. Some weeks I just don't have time to log in and "level". In eve, it does it automatically. People seem to have this misconception that they would never be able to kill a player who has been playing for 3 years...but all skills max out at 5. A person who has been playing longer can do MORE things than you, but not do them BETTER. It's not like WoW where a level 10 is insignificant. A low level in EVE can make a difference instead of just grinding up to 85.

15+ Year Old Account
    I loved the game, but my limited playtime meant that I couldn't hold onto a good corp. When I'd log in after some weeks I'd find that a station was lost with half my stuff in it. Solo play is boring as hell, but with others it is epic.

The learning curve is high, but I found it fun to be constantly learning and improving years into playing. The skills are max level 5 like you say and take substantially longer to train at high levels, therefore the time:skills ratio is not proportional at all. Once you get your ship skills sorted and can fly what you want, then the rest comes down more to player skill, setup, support and tactics than the levels. Also, a newer player can still be a important part for a fleet, in my first corp I could barely fly anything, but used to tackle smaller ships in a frigate as smaller ships are 'immune' from bigger ship's weapons. Every man can play a part.

I haven't played for 6 months now, I go on and off, loving it then getting bored because of lack of corp action.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

Quote Originally Posted by Whyhello View Post
    So I've been playing EVE recently, and thoroughly enjoy it. I will be the first to admit that it isn't for everyone. I'll also admit that if you aren't playing with a group of people regularly, it's horribly boring. I'll also admit that as a new player (insert iconic learning curve graph) it is quite a task to get the swing of if you don't have people to help you. Currently I'm in a large alliance and we're at war and I have found so much more entertainment out of it than any other mmo.

Basically, I'm just looking for some discussion on the game. If you are in an alliance, which one? What do you like to do? What do you think of the new expansion?

Also...here's today's sovereignty map! (random but I like looking around at it): http://dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/.../influence.png

I'd like to talk about the training system first; everyone seems to hate it. But I love it. Some weeks I just don't have time to log in and "level". In eve, it does it automatically. People seem to have this misconception that they would never be able to kill a player who has been playing for 3 years...but all skills max out at 5. A person who has been playing longer can do MORE things than you, but not do them BETTER. It's not like WoW where a level 10 is insignificant. A low level in EVE can make a difference instead of just grinding up to 85.
    I like the training system when i have a job but when you are unemployed it sucks ass cus those 15 day skills drag out forevvvvvveeeerrrr. Im personally a miner and while its a slow way to make isk its easy to allow me to do other things while i mine from playing xbox to watching netflix to browsing /b/.

EVE is the most enjoyable MMO I've played to date. It is very complicated as you stated. I'm pretty new however, so can't really say much other than I'm having a lot of fun with my alliance fighting out in nullsec.