Cannot close TOR correctly

Hello, I recently started playing the game (up to level 12 bounty hunter) and I have noticed that whenever I log out or "quit game" it ALWAYS locks up, regardless of how long I was playing or logged in. Is this a known issue? Or is it because of something on my computer? It always freezes when I leave, every single time, I have to force end it in task manager

I know the feeling, it seems that even once your out of the game it still has the computer having fits.

Deleted
    Actually i noticed that the longer I play the longer it will take for the game to "exit" and the hard disk will stop trashing, so i guess it's some sort of bad memory management from Bioware. So after a 10 min session (i login / I quit) i get to the desktop almost instantly, but after a 2 hours sessions I usually get a black screen with my HD whirling for about 3-4 min before I see my desktop.

So i'm keeping my sessions short or at least I take a small break

Deleted
    It does do the same for me, I just tab out and close it with task manager nowadays.

Mind you, the game has horrible memory leak issues that affect this. After a few hours of play it completely bogs up my PC to the point where I have to just reboot it, can't even use the task manager. So try and restart the client every 4ish hours is my recommendation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanir View Post
    Actually i noticed that the longer I play the longer it will take for the game to "exit" and the hard disk will stop trashing, so i guess it's some sort of bad memory management from Bioware. So after a 10 min session (i login / I quit) i get to the desktop almost instantly, but after a 2 hours sessions I usually get a black screen with my HD whirling for about 3-4 min before I see my desktop.

You need more memory. The longer you play the more your computer is having to use virtual memory i.e. using the swap file on your disk. When you eventually quit the game the disk thrashing is the virtual memory being purged.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea i got same prob, i just quit out of game, wait 30 secs then do the ole ctrl alt del, close program ;p
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Deleted
    You need more RAM. I had the same thing with 2GB. Upgraded to 4GB, no more issues and game is running smoother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    You need more memory. The longer you play the more your computer is having to use virtual memory i.e. using the swap file on your disk. When you eventually quit the game the disk thrashing is the virtual memory being purged.
    I have 8GB and still have the problem.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i got 4gb ram, 3 odd gig board, prety good pc tbh. but still i get a huuuge time to log out, or even tabbing out sometimes takes forever
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

I don't have any issues, but my system has 16GBs of RAM and runs swtor off an SSD.

Deleted
    I know it's the memory, but I have 4 Gb already.

I don't have this issue with other games, it's just Bioware who wrote their program without checking for memory leaks. I'm loving STWOR at the moment, I just wanted to point out the glitches. I can still play, I'm just taking frequent breaks (as I should anyway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    You need more RAM. I had the same thing with 2GB. Upgraded to 4GB, no more issues and game is running smoother.
    This is correct, my GFs pc has 8 gigs and logs straight out. My pc has 2 (damn 32bit os) and takes forever to get back to the desktop.

That's not to say it should work like that though, hopefully they can clean up whatever makes it hang like that. I play Witcher 2 and Skyrim turned all the way up (sans Ubersampeling in W2) with 2 gigs and they never hang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanir View Post

I have the same issue. I always blamed it on my PC cause it's 5+ years old but it seems I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    It does do the same for me, I just tab out and close it with task manager nowadays.
    I do the same thing. Works like a treat.

Hopefully it doesn't make my computer explode one day, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Having no issues with this, running with 16gig ram tho .. lol
    Boomkin/Mage/Whatever in Fatsharkyes