Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

The Feeling of Healers in SWTOR

Hi there,

I've started off SWTOR with a Sith Assassin Tank - as in wow I've never really had a tank main, just messed around on alts as one etc. In WoW I've pretty much always concentrated on Healing - something in WoW I love, my main has pretty much always been my resto druid, although I have dabbled with most other healers as well.

I daresay I shall eventually fall into the old Healing role in SWTOR as well before long, but so far the whole "futuristic" healing thing isnt as appealing, plus at this relatively early stage in the game its hard to get a feeling of how healers playstyles work without playing them to a high level myself kinda thing.

However I'd like to avoid having countless alts, so I'm here to ask the community on how they feel the healers in SWTOR play like - feel free to compare to WoW healers etc - what aspects of each class feel like what healers in WoW.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a sith inquisitor healing - doesnt seem right imo, but if they have the best healing style for me from what people say here then I might be able to come up with an excuse why my nasty sith lord would be nice and healing people . . . lol

All help is appreciated!

<3

I love the way my Sawbones Scoundrel plays. It was weak in PVP at first, but it's gotten much better as I've levelled. Specifically it got a lot better around level 35-40. I'm level 45 now and healing like a Boss. If enough players focus me there's not much I can do, but I'm having fun. Haven't had any problems the whole way in PVE until just now since I've been tunneling my class quest I'm now facing level 50 mobs as a level 45, and can't survive. Guess its just time to gain a level or two before proceeding with it though, like anyone else would have to. I don't know if you were looking for more specifics on how to play, but I could probably go into more detail about why I chose a Scoundrel, how it plays, etc, if you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now I'm playing a Jedi Consular Sage as a healer and I find them to be a lot like priests were in WoW. They have a bubble, pretty nice heals, but if you're not careful you'll run out of force very quickly. I can only assume Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer would be similar but I'm loving my Sage at the moment.

Deleted
    Merc Bodyguard = Holy Pally

Operative Med = Resto Druid

Sage Corruption = Priest (all 3 in1)

Ofc this is generalized as hell, but it might give you a rough idea what to expect.

I've played a disc priest in WoW for several years, at pretty high-end raiding level, and I've just got my Sith Sorcerer to 48. I've healed every Flashpoint up to Directive 7, and loads of group missions. The Sith Sorcerer is very much like playing a priest, with a bit of Shaman thrown in. I have written a lengthy guide, but because I haven't posted on MMO Champ a lot, it won't let me create a thread or post links yet.

One of the important differences is that a Sith Sorcerer can consume his/her own life and turn it into Force, which you use to heal allies. You also have a bit of a 'rotation', in that casting certain spells buffs the next one you can in specific ways. In particular, casting your HoT increases the crit chance of your channeled heal, which in turn grants you a HP-free Consumption. The biggest challenge for healing atm is the lack of /mouseover macros or any other way to click-to-heal, so you need to switch targets to keep your group alive, which means it's hard to help with interrupts and stuff.

If you're having RP trouble, just remember that the best Sith are devious and use other people, and by healing my party I'm keeping myself from facing my enemies directly. Except Wookies. I insist on shooting wookies.

TLDR: It's a bit like a Shamany Priest with Life Tap.

Deleted
    well i cant compare with any other game since the only healing i ever did in previous MMO's ammounted to one WoW Kara alt run back in the day, and the odd PVP battleground.

But i enjoy the current feeling of it, I've healed each flashpoint on normal i just hit 50 monday and i started doing some PVP last night.

I seem to have alot of tools in my kit, a quick heal, a slower heal an AOE,a insta heal i have my green healing ray for added Health over time, a couple of emergency buttons incase shit hits the fan.

There seems plenty to keep track of such as which effects are active on which person - Trooper heals seem to leave residual effects on people 10% armour, 5% extra healing a small HOT, so it gives me something to look out for i have to keep and eye on my charges.

In PVP i seemed to have decent survivability, asnt always gang nuked down in 2 seconds and felt i could contribute, was chuffed to see 280k healing on my first warzone.

All in i'm enjoying my first real taste of Main healing, i do play with regular MMO Vets though so my job probbaly isnt as tough as it could be and ive not started heroic instances or Ops yet but cant wait to. But it did take time to get all the tools to heal and i nthe first 20 levels i felt more like a dps that healed, but that quickly changed in the later dungeons and heroic quests.

I have been playing a Jedi consular sage heals. I could get used to it but the UI is really killing the fun for me. I hate having to click every portrait. if you are ina growith companions , there are no portraits for companions.
    It gets rather frustrating tbh. I player a healer all through wow and I have no plan to play any other role as main. The worst part is that the UI seems to be specifically designed to make it difficult to heal. The debuff icon size is so tiny, you need to play with a microscope next to you if you wanna see it.

I was loving the game but at 40, I am getting more and more frustrated.

It's small things sure but things like crap AH interface, UI from 1990 have no place in a game released in 2011. I don't think even Rift, Aion etc got such rubbish UI as SWToR...worst UI ever hands down.

Also, healing is very clunky, very very very clunky. I was a resto druid too and used to love it to pieces. Healing in SWToR has an odd feel to it, it's not as fuild as in wow. I do not know what it is but sometimes spells don;'t cast, sometimes they stop an start again....it's just not fluid.

As things stand now, I would probably hit 50 and then cancel sub till they change the aforementioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by s1l1c0n View Post

Ofc this is generalized as hell, but it might give you a rough idea what to expect.
    id call merc bodyguard restoshaman, it even has earthshield!
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s1l1c0n View Post

And trooper's kinda remind me of resto shammies with earthshield/riptide and so on.

Deleted
    I'm playing a mercenary and it reminds me of a resto shaman. I'm only lvl 34 but my heals are strong and I've got alot of different spells to use. I know shooting people to life might be weird, but I love it and I feel like I could heal for an eternity without going "oom".
    I have an operative at lvl 12 and sorcerer at 20 so I cant really judge their classes yet... but I felt like I went "oom" very fast as a sorcerer.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizanthropic View Post
    And trooper's kinda remind me of resto shammies with earthshield/riptide and so on.
    That and their green Jesus beams. I agree that Troopers are more akin to Resto Shamans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizanthropic View Post
    BUT - the Sages got the riptide in SWTOR (same effect, same duration)^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    That and their green Jesus beams. I agree that Troopers are more akin to Resto Shamans.
    did shammies chuck green goo on people!?

After playing a resto druid for about 6 years, I must say the healing system in SWTOR is one of the best things to happen to the game.
    It just feels right, they really did excel at making a triage system (like blizzard wanted to)
    Healing might start weak, but when you grow into the brand new system and get more skills, you'll love it. atleast I know I do.

15+ Year Old Account
    I had read the operative was a bit like a cross between a resto druid and a holy paly (something like holy power?) however I also read that it was part of the agents "melee" AC which was a bit rogue like? I quite like the idea of the sniper side of the agent, and its a shame i couldnt have that as an "off spec" if i'm leveling as a operative medic would i be using melee to kill or ranged?

the sith inq healer does sound kinda cool, however I think it'd be a bit of a waste of all the other great stories if i replayed the inquisitor story =/ which i guess means I'd be heading more towards op or merc i guess.

In the future i'll probably roll a jedi healer but for now I'm enjoying playing with lots of IRL friends who i'm guilded with so dont want to abandon them yet . . .

I played a Resto Shaman for 5 years, and I'm very comfortable playing a Bounty Hunter healer. A direct comparison is invalid, as these are two entirely different games. It took me many played hours to even feel comfortable playing at all.

I heard a lot of people disliked scoundrel healing but I'm playing commando so w/e. Played bacta infusion spec until lvl 44 when i respecced to dps (first time dps i nthe game ). The healing was very fluid.

I looked at the healing tree for Operative, and the baseline healing spells, and while it looked interesting, i was a little dubious due to the lack of skills - the Operative healer has about 6/7 skills, but all seem to be simple straight up heals, with 1 HoT and 1 AoE HoT. Is it still fun? I hope so because a Scoundrel will be my first alt.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I looked at the healing tree for Operative, and the baseline healing spells, and while it looked interesting, i was a little dubious due to the lack of skills - the Operative healer has about 6/7 skills, but all seem to be simple straight up heals, with 1 HoT and 1 AoE HoT. Is it still fun? I hope so because a Scoundrel will be my first alt.
    Has a Mercenary healer all of my spells are straight up heals, except one is a earth shield. But it is still fun because I have to carefully manage my resources

If you are concerned about the RP with inquisitors healing, bear in mind that Darth Sidious healed Vader some on Mustafar prior to entering the shuttle. (look at the red glow from his hand as he first knelt down at Vader)

edit: Also in the drama play where Palpatine and Anakin are talking...Palpatine made continuous remarks of the power of healing/creating life and sustaining it through the force. In fact, to obtain this type of power would make one so powerful and wise they can influence midiclhorians to create life! So when you heal as an Inquisitor think of it as you are one of the MOST powerful sith in the game since you have discovered this certain thing about the force that not many force sensitives have...especially the Jedi losers lol. You can make the force do what you want with it!
    Last edited by Rukus; 2012-01-06 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?