Are Macs good for anything?

So got into a fight with some female friends on facebook cause she said she had a new Mac and was talking about how awesome it was and other people were agreeing with her. I just said my computer would blow any Mac away. I went to Apple's website and a Quad core starts at $2500 with only 3 gigs of RAM and a crappy ATI 5770 ? Seriously what herp derp would pay that? Also they have 12 core machines what is even the point of that? Just wondering, so I know if I won my argument, is my i5-2500k OCed at 4.8GHz with a GTX 580 and 12 gigs of GSkill better than a Mac? I know Apple has the coolest toys but arent they just total garbage when it comes to actual computers? If my PC is better how can they charge what they do for something so inferior and not go to jail for ripping people off?

Macs are aesthetically driven, and marketed towards technologically inept people, which i assume describes your female friends on facebook. Like you said, they are the "cool toys" but seriously lack the quality per dollar that you get in a PC, especially if you build it yourself.

Apple makes really good all-in-one computers (iMacs) and laptops(macbook Pros).
    The Mac Pro is an relatively ancient piece of equipment that is essentially designed as a server and shouldn't be considered as a normal desktop pc today. Its way too over expensive and its components are shitty.

Because buyer beware. For their computers they're reaping the rewards of their brand name. I'm shocked you haven't run across the jokes about iWater and similar things where Apple feels simply putting their logo onto something increases its value about 280%. Macs are a joke, dollar per dollar for performance. What are they good for? Not getting viruses because no one cares about writing them for the mac o/s.

Apple has only really done two things of importance in recent years. 1) make the portable music players and smartphones mainstream (yes, wasn't alone OFC but heavy contribution) and 2) They were the first ones to make touchscreens that could sense more than one touch.

The end result however is the household name which they are profiting off of.

Deleted
    Whilst I feel that Mac are way overpriced for what you get, and am a strong believer that "PC" is better that doesn't mean they aren't good for anything. To many Mac users the OS is superior to Windows (which is subjective) and that they look better (again subjective). However they also do have a closed system which means they generally run well with fewer problems (Windows on the other hand needs to be able to run with every combination out there), the lack of "customisability" also means the user is less able to screw something up. There are positives and negatives to both, it just depends what positives you're looking for.

I feel that you will get more power, control and a great experience with PC (better looks for me too), they aren't for everyone.

Deleted
    depends on what there using it for.

you obviously have built a gaming rig.
    They may be using it for something completely different which requires Mac usage.

However the costs involved for the hardware are out of proportion. your paying for the brand name. its like buying a pair of training shoes. both the no name brand and the branded ones do the same thing.

FYI the 5770 is still a decent card, I own one and don't have any problems running any games at 1920x1080p. Sure it may not be bleeding edge technology, but then if all there doing is graphic design (main use of a mac IIRC) and the occasional gaming then its fine.

also The Italic quote on this link Seems to be very apt at this moment in time
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2012-01-07 at 06:45 AM.

Macs are better at everything but gaming IMHO.

macs are great for special ppl doing what mac is better designed for. however a normal user mostly doesnt profit by owning a mac.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mac PCs have pros and cons.

Windows based PCs have pros and cons.

People have a wide range of preferences. Please stop getting mad that people like something you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    Mac PCs have pros and cons.

Windows based PCs have pros and cons.

People have a wide range of preferences. Please stop getting mad that people like something you don't.
    This, you know the answer yourself, you just want to stir up mac vs PC bull, which is against the rules. So closing