Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    but the point still stands, aswell as it still being useless for SSDs because of the speed of SSDs
    Even with a SSD, searching takes time (though certainly a lot faster), whereas indexed data should show up more or less immediately.

it is also writing a small file over and over and over
    Which in the grand scope of things is hardly a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Even with a SSD, searching takes time (though certainly a lot faster), whereas indexed data should show up more or less immediately.
    Close to the same, what's 3 seconds of waiting?

Which in the grand scope of things is hardly a problem.
    This wholly depends on what you do, granted a normal desktop user won't, but run an SQL server with lots of independant files f.ex, and it can go wrong rather quick due to the small files it writes and the indexing file.

Most guides you see online suggest to completely disable Indexing - not to disable indexing on the system drive. That's my main issue with those suggestions. The fact that indexing doesn't adversely affect the overall health of your drive is another matter, and becoming less and less of a concern. Ultimately, leaving indexing on is faster. Yes, it's three seconds faster. I bought an SSD so I wouldn't have to wait for stuff. Now you're suggesting I change a setting so that I do have to wait?

If you're looking at running SQL Server on a consumer level MLC drive, you're seriously doin' it wrong. There are enterprise level SLC drives for a reason.

Well this thread has accumulated quite a few posts since I checked yesterday! I did apply most of the suggestions from the post in the OP, but I did not enable write caching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zxian View Post
    Most guides you see online suggest to completely disable Indexing - not to disable indexing on the system drive. That's my main issue with those suggestions. The fact that indexing doesn't adversely affect the overall health of your drive is another matter, and becoming less and less of a concern. Ultimately, leaving indexing on is faster. Yes, it's three seconds faster. I bought an SSD so I wouldn't have to wait for stuff. Now you're suggesting I change a setting so that I do have to wait?

If you're looking at running SQL Server on a consumer level MLC drive, you're seriously doin' it wrong. There are enterprise level SLC drives for a reason.
    I know of plenty people whom actually run an SQL server on an MLC drive, just not the average consumer is the difference.

Also the indexing pertains only to searching a file, not actually doing something 3 seconds faster, it reads the files just as fast indexed as when it's not indexed when f.ex starting a game, also considering the limited space on said SSD having to generally find a file on there is moot as you won't download on it, if you do then that's a whole different matter and your SSD will love that too!

---------- Post added 2012-01-09 at 05:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Well this thread has accumulated quite a few posts since I checked yesterday! I did apply most of the suggestions from the post in the OP, but I did not enable write caching.
    Good man, i don't trust that either.

Also David Tennant > Matt Smith.

Good man, i don't trust that either.
    Yeah, with the amount of times I just hit the power button to turn off my PC I figured write caching would probably be a bad idea.

Also David Tennant > Matt Smith.
    More than a little off-topic, but I'll bite. The author of this article conveys my feelings perfectly... I know Matt Smith is the better Doctor for a single reason: I don't miss David Tennant anymore... I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a little during his final episode, I couldn't imagine anyone being a better Doctor, but now, after two seasons with Matt Smith, I'm like "Meh, David Tennant who?".

There are, of course, other reasons why I like Matt Smith more, but that is the one that explains it the best.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-01-09 at 01:26 PM.