Goals set too high in life?

Correct me if i'm wrong about the whole situation please, I'm young only 18, but here's the way I see peoples lives today. I'm at that age to have decided what I want to do in life, or the way I'll end up living it. Now I see rich people and poor people and middle class, I see myself after my senior year which i'm currently on, i'm on my way to college in fall, I see myself working at a resturaunt while maintaining college and occasional partying and so fourth. After college which i'm majoring in Veterinarians assistant in, I see myself holding up an house/decent apartment for months until I meet the 'right one', which I might already have, who knows? I set my standards high in WHO im spending my life with, could care less the WAY I spend my life with her. Maybe this is all coming out wrong? I don't know. But the problem I see lately, is people are setting goals too high... they want to do things they're not going to ever get around to doing. Everyone thinks they'll be able to get around the hard things in life. I'm rambling...but heres the main point. I get bipolar about what I'm gonna be and do when I'm older all the time...I've gone from fantasy...as in joining the mafia(never happen) to...joing the army if college doesn't work out(not a great substitute i know..)Idk...No ones gonna know what happens for the rest of their life until late twenties to mid thirties...at that point you know how you'll spend the rest of your life about...My goal is to live and love life, no matter the cost, which I do every day so far, but things change really fast after college i'm told, at my age right now, so I'm just worried.

Talk about just rambling on right? But what are you doing with your life, and how do you see yourself later on? Whats your goals?
    Last edited by brontosaurust; 2012-01-08 at 04:20 AM.

Honestly ive been asking myself about my goals so many times and ive ended with this: Today i just want to leave happy with what i have,doing what i love,and living with the one i love. So, just live your life with what you like and you'll be happy!

Everyone needs to strive, that's how the human race gets ahead. Everyone strive for greatness and 9999 fail but 1 achieves - and that happens everywhere all the time with the few achievers getting ahead. If it's a good analogy, think of it as a load of sperm, even though there are millions there only one can make it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just focus on one thing at a time, don't worry about the bigger picture. The economy really isn't in a good enough state to set long-term goals like "own a house and make babies and have a golden retriever and eat apple pie."

Your priorities should really be "make rent every month, on time" and "make car payments every month, on time", and then maybe "have enough money to eat."
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

There is nothing wrong with setting high goals as long as you don't base all of your self worth on attaining those goals.

And I have to argue the "No ones gonna know what happens for the rest of their life until late twenties to mid thirties...at that point you know how you'll spend the rest of your life about..." I'll say you may have a better idea, especially if you're married, have children, solid career, but you're never going to know how you will spend the rest of your life. As horrible as it sounds, a single car accident could change your entire plan in seconds.

What's the point in settling? It's fine if you have no aspiration but I love having set my goals so high it gives me direction in life.

One of my ultimate goals in life I suppose is to contribute something big to the world of science which will genuinely help people, I don't care about recognition or anything like that it's just something that would make me extremely happy and upon my death bed I can go out with a smile.

The probability of me achieving that is another story, but I strive throughout my career of getting closer to achieving that. So far I've done bits of research but nothing that truly helps develop humanity in some aspect.

haha.

Goals, in a fake world?

My goals are my goals. I have no ambition to go and do something for the current world.
    When the world changes; and it will.

I will be turning that goal oriented person toward a society,
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Skelington has few to none aspirations... Top priority is moving out. The rest... meh...

It's not bad to strive for things, but focus less on that and more on what's coming up in the near future. This will be especially helpful in college, where you'll actually do something that could challenge you. Just keep in mind:

1. Everybody lies about themselves, especially to others
    2. Everybody has something embarrassing to hide about themselves
    3. Movies and television shows really don't know what they're talking about
    4. Your outlook on this stuff is going to change yearly until you're (presumably) finished with puberty, which will be past college anyways

Plus it's always AMAZING when you forget about Thanksgiving break and you're reminded right before it starts by a teacher that they won't see you at some class period. Best feeling in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Strive or settle, you'll still end up a corpse, having existed a fraction of a fraction of a fraction's fraction of the already known age of the universe. If you think that the existence of the human species is important, or that a certain period within that existence is important, then strive all you like.

In the end though, we're all gone. You and I, everyone who came before and after us. The whole of humanity will be gone, as if we never existed.

Grim? Well, sure. True? Most definitely.
    What do you mean by a fraction?

It's quite possible that the universe was created "3600" years ago, or some shit, 6000? Whenever the first recording of god and etc was.

But basically, you'll need to look at the relativity of everything. One year on Nibiru is 3600 earth years. So, 3600 years ago they left for a single year of their time, because of relativity and orbit, time space and the whole works. It's a lot to explain in full detail.

I hope you folks are with me.
    So, back in the day you would go back on Nibiru, rotate the cycle for one year Nibiru time because of relativity. But the time passes on earth because our years are 3365 days. Also, because of our short years our lifespans are also short. For if we were on another vessel, we would be ageing at a much slower rate.

Now, if you take all the bloody relativity, quantum mechanics plus the whole slew of theoretical quantum's, and theoretic's that have not even been thought of by our under developed, and de-evolved brains. And by De-evolve, I mean they are putting additives in to slow and regress the human brain. So if you take all of that and add it all together you may just have some insight as to how old the universe may be in relativity to the higher being.

(P.S we were a lot more advanced a long time ago, until folks got into power.)

But if that's not true. Then make something of yourself in this world. For yourself.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.