Question Some feedback on my selections.

Hello, I'm pretty new to posting in these forums (although I've been haunting them for as long as I can remember) and I was just looking for some feedback on a few purchases I'm about to make.

I'm having a hard time enjoying SWTOR with 8-17 FPS range on low (no shadow) settings, so I figured I'd get a PC that would make my MMO experience enjoyable, as well as any college work I may need to do in the future.

I landed on these options, from my judgements they all should work very well together, but then again I am pretty new at this.

The PC

Gateway DX Series DX4350-UR21P (PT.GBYP2.003) Desktop PC (LINK: newegg . com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113175)
    - CPU = AMD Phenom II X6 1065T 2.9GHz
    - HD = 1.5TB SATA Green Product - variable RPM
    - Chipset = AMD 880G
    - Ram = 6GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 2gb sticks w/ room for another)
    - Dimensions = 15.07" x 7.09" x 14.21"
    - Cost = $519.99 (free shipping)

Note: So far this seems to be a really good deal for the components provided, I'm a little concerned about the case size but I also have spare ATX cases laying around.

Graphics

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FPB, 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0
    - 823MHz Core Clock
    - 1024MB GDDR5, Memory Clock = 4008MHz
    - Shader Clock = 1646 MHz
    - Cuda Cores = 336
    - Microsoft directX 11
    - OpenGL 4.2
    - Size (LWH): 8.25 inches, 1.5 inches, 4.38 inches

Note: This was already purchased, so no going back. Basically I'm building a PC around this card without spending a ton of money.

Power Supply

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W (Link: newegg . com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020)
    - Maximum power = 650W
    - Connectors:
    -- 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
    -- 1 x 4+4 Pin CPU
    -- 8 x Peripheral
    -- 8 x SATA
    -- 2 x Floppy
    -- 2 x PCI-E
    - Dimensions = 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 6.3"(L)

Note: A 500w supply would theoretically be enough to power that GPU, but I figured I'd go safe and roll with a 650w supply. From what I can tell by dimensions, this should fit in the original casing.

This will land me around $600 and it should be enough for what I need without becoming outdated in a year or two. Any suggestions are welcome, I've spent some time researching and I'd rather not waste this $600.

This HP at $10 higher price has more powerful processor for gaming use and more RAM in dual channel mode instead of three sticks that runs slower. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883157151

Suitability of case for upgrades is even bigger questionmark than with the Gateway, but it looks ok.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The P series cases are usually pretty accommodating for video cards. They flip the motherboard upside down with a top mounted PSU, I guess to equal the space savings compared with a bottom mounted PSU and a rightside up motherboard.

Getting a new PSU into it isn't that difficult apparently, accord to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z51KUNwa-I

---------- Post added 2012-01-08 at 10:25 AM ----------

Here's something I saw on tigerdirect. It's only $499, made by a much more reputable company (ASUS), and should be easier to work inside of. Only downside compared to vessebleh's link is that it only has 4GB of RAM. However, for the 30 bucks you save, you can easily buy an 8 GB set, and you'll end up with a much more reliable brand of computer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...228&CatId=4928
    Last edited by glo; 2012-01-08 at 01:16 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Here's something I saw on tigerdirect. It's only $499, made by a much more reputable company (ASUS), and should be easier to work inside of. Only downside compared to vessebleh's link is that it only has 4GB of RAM. However, for the 30 bucks you save, you can easily buy an 8 GB set, and you'll end up with a much more reliable brand of computer.
    HP probably has better and faster customer support in the US, but cant' really say for sure. Reliability of both computers is probably about the same considering low price point, and Asus haven't really shined in 2011 with all the BIOS problems of Sandy Bridge boards.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I figured the idea of support/warranty would be out the window after he swaps the PSU / video card out. I guess he could swap them in and out if he needed to send it in for service, but that would be pretty annoying.

Also, if you're referring to the H67/P67 recall, that's not really relevant anymore, and all of those boards were pulled almost a year ago. Not to mention it wasn't just ASUS, it was everyone. If there's other outstanding issues with ASUS mobos, I must have missed it. I don't know.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If there's other outstanding issues with ASUS mobos, I must have missed it. I don't know.
    Real life example of my computer issues in 2011 with Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard and G.Skill 1333MHz 2x4GB kit

Bought these on the first week when Sandy Bridge motherboards + processors were available, almost exactly year ago. On first boot memory would not detect without hitting MemOK button on motherboard few times. Motherboard would frequenty have the doubleboot issue which had workaround with turning on certain PCIe power management options, even after fourth UEFI patch doubleboot issue was still there. Sent board for P67 chipset problem replacement after all four SATA2 ports failed (not Asus' fault).

Replacement board (rev3) blew up after five weeks of use, destroying CPU along with it (VRM died without even overclocking the board at all). Never OC'd it because it would mysteriously shut down from time to time and I suspected a power problem I never could find when diagnosing stuff. Third board I'm using right now had problem with detecting the ram without MemOK button again.

Try google for double boot and inability to detect ram issues with P8P67 line, you'll get hundreds of hits, some on this forum too. All models from the LE's up to Deluxe are affected by those to some extent. Z68 and H67 boards seem to work much better.

edit:

Keep in mind when reading above that I've been certainly unlucky with the second board blowing up, but the memory detection and double boot issues are real and common.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-01-08 at 12:34 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Thanks for all the replies... Is a core i3 a better processor than a Phenom II x6? From what I understood the i3 is only dual core but I could be wrong. I was going by this chart for processor reference.

https: // kb.wisc .edu/showroom/page.php?id=4927

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it has a better architecture and single core performance, which matters more in games.
    Also, here's some feedback.

God damnit...

Take that, Liquipedia!
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-08 at 04:42 PM.

Well if I should go with the i3 then I think the ASUS sounds like the better choice, a bit cheaper (which goes out the window with the 4gb of extra ram) and the case is a bit larger. Thanks for the input.

Deleted
    Have you considered building it yourself, rather than getting and upgrading a prebuilt? Swapping a PSU in a prebuilt usually means a complete reassemble. Sample builds can be found here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

Also, for that build, a 650W PSU is majorly overkill. A good 450W would be enough, but if you want some upgrade and overclocking headroom you might want to bump it up to a 500W.

Antec NeoEco 520W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371030
    XFX ProSeries 450W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207018
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-08 at 05:23 PM.

I've considered going with a custom build, but with the cost of a MOBO, CPU, RAM, HD, A case (even though I have older cases) and at least $99 for Windows 7, it's worth the price just to get all of the assembled pieces IMO. Unless there is some way to get all of these things for less, or a better value for the same price.

My budget is between $500-$600, so if you have an idea for a good gaming build that includes an OS, I'll gladly consider.

Note: A GPU is not necessary in the price. I already have that.

10+ Year Old Account
    >.> Buying all the components individually is significantly cheaper than buying a prebuilt unless you can snag a really good deal.

Deleted
    Again, check here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

You can get a very good gaming computer, self assembled, for around $500. If you can get a GPU and a HDD elsewhere (either from a friend, a deal or from an earlier computer) you can get a good budget gaming PC for around $300. In essence, even with the $100 price of a Windows copy, it is in 99% of cases cheaper to assemble your own computer. Even if the prices are similar, with a self-built you generally get better parts and exactly the hardware you need.

I decided to go with a self-build (even though I've never really done this from scratch it seems interesting). What do you think of this MoBO?
    Link: www .newegg .com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296

BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    I figure a micro ATX might allow more room to work with in the case.