$1400 Laptop in 4 months.

In 3-4 months I'll be replacing my desktop with a laptop, It'll have an allowance of roughly $1400(+/- $100).

It needs to be able to handle basic video and photo manipulation, and games with roughly the equivalent graphics of GW2/FF14/D3. I was hoping for some suggestions.

(PC, 1TB+) I'm unsure what exactly to focus on beyond this, what matters more, what matters less, and I've never really went shopping for a laptop. I'm hunting for specs earlier, in case a job goes through and I get a bit lucky, but that's another story.

Come back in 3-4 months when hardware is just about to move to the new generation!

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Come back in 3-4 months when hardware is just about to move to the new generation!
    o.O You really think it's that close?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    In 3-4 months I'll be replacing my desktop with a laptop, It'll have an allowance of roughly $1400(+/- $100).

It needs to be able to handle basic video and photo manipulation, and games with roughly the equivalent graphics of GW2/FF14/D3. I was hoping for some suggestions.

(PC, 1TB+) I'm unsure what exactly to focus on beyond this, what matters more, what matters less, and I've never really went shopping for a laptop. I'm hunting for specs earlier, in case a job goes through and I get a bit lucky, but that's another story.
    honestly laptops are garbage for gaming. you will never get a decent fps no matter what you get. the only think i can suggest is get something with a stand alone graphics card with its own memory (not something that shares memory with the RAM).

MSI G Series GT780DX-406US 17.3-Inch Laptop $1550.00
    ASUS G74Sx Republic of Gamers $1400.00
    MSI GT683DXR $1560

i understand you said '$1400 laptop' but that is as close as i can get. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    o.O You really think it's that close?
    the new intel chips are right around the corner. true 8 core CPU's.

also, i posted some decent laptops for around 1400$ but i have to wait on the moderators to review my post since im still a noob on mmo-champ forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneyarde View Post
    the new intel chips are right around the corner. true 8 core CPU's.
    Well then, be back around april. :P

What? 8 core?
    The Ivy Bridge that are due in April are still worth waiting for, but they will be the 'same setup' as they are now, being, dual cores with hyper threading and quad cores with hyper threading.

If there will be octacores, they will either be Xeon or Ivy Bridge-E, hardly likely to come in a notebook format.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230141

Money well spent, but ye, better wait until 1-2 months more incase something better comes out

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    What? 8 core?
    The Ivy Bridge that are due in April are still worth waiting for, but they will be the 'same setup' as they are now, being, dual cores with hyper threading and quad cores with hyper threading.

If there will be octacores, they will either be Xeon or Ivy Bridge-E, hardly likely to come in a notebook format.
    yeah i actually just read that. guess i was misinformed about the new line from intel. =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Why ask now..? Come back in 4 months. I got a BAREBONE GT780dxr with a GTX 570m and I7 for 1,200$, you can not beat that. I got that 4 months ago also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting