Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Trying My Hardest To Like This Game

As the title says I am really trying to enjoy this game, but I have never been too big of a fan of questing, questing, questing, questing. In a MMO I enjoy running 4/5 mans and leveling that way. I usually play a tank or healer and really enjoy that part of a MMO. I am on Anchorhead ( very heavy pop) and I really have a hard time finding a grp on my tank / healer toons both lvl 27. I have tried using the "LFG" but have never got an invite that way. Once again I really really want this game to work for me but right now it is not cutting it at all Am I alone on this one?
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

you cannot treat this game like a normal mmo... I look at it like a multiplaying Mass Effect. The story is supposed to make you want to quest to hear the next chapter. This game may just not be for you.

Are u in a guild? It should help. However, on Red Eclipse I aint got problems with gettin group even from /1. U can still make some nice exp in FP definitely, but it wont give u that much credits and gear for sure. And u DO need it

Deleted
    don't really understand as they actually made questing more interessting. but i guess for some its still questing!
    try battleground leveling? though its not so great when you lose a lot ;<

or make some new friends and level with them!

i never liked questing in WoW, but i love questing in this game, like the guy above me said, you wanna get to the next chapter. Also i wanna lvl up and doing quest and at the same time queue for warzone gives a lot of exp. And if you really hate questing, diablo 3 is gonna be worse.

You shouldn't try to like a game. Either you like it, or you don't.
    However, on the plus side, once you hit 50, I don't think you'll be finding a huge lack of players to group with.

As others have said, this isn't a traditional MMO. They took a more Mass Effect/Dragon Age approach to questing, making in an interactive experience. TOR is not a race to end-game in the traditional sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen so many of these threads lately. People are complaining that they don't enjoy TOR and then admit, right after, that they completely skip the story and lore. I'm not saying sit through every single cutscene but if you at least take a little bit of time and enjoy the main story of your character I guarantee you'll enjoy the game a lot more. EA games are always about the story and lore. If you cut that out then you cut out the heart of the game.

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it.
    I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign!

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    However, on the plus side, once you hit 50, I don't think you'll be finding a huge lack of players to group with.

As others have said, this isn't a traditional MMO. They took a more Mass Effect/Dragon Age approach to questing, making in an interactive experience. TOR is not a race to end-game in the traditional sense.
    I have a lvl 27 warrior, 27 BH, and lvl 20 Sniper. When levelng those toons I have not spammed the space bar thru a quest unless I had already done in 2+ times. I always listen to all of my class quest and try getting into it. Maybe this game isnt for me ....
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    I have a lvl 27 warrior, 27 BH, and lvl 20 Sniper. When levelng those toons I have not spammed the space bar thru a quest unless I had already done in 2+ times. I always listen to all of my class quest and try getting into it. Maybe this game isnt for me ....
    That means you haven't even finished chapter1 on any of your chars.... That's when it starts to get really good!

I have a lvl 27 warrior, 27 BH, and lvl 20 Sniper. When levelng those toons I have not space bared thru a quest unless I had already done in 2+ times. I always listen to all of my class quest and try getting into it. Maybe this game isnt for me ....
    You just need to evaluate what you are looking for in a game. If questing is a huge hang up, then find a game that doesn't require questing. Unfortunately that really limits your selection in the MMO world. I will say that there are some dry spots in questing (Tatooine) that can slow things down, but then there are other planets which are really good. The class stories can flop around. I really loved Act I of the Inquistor story, but Act II isn't doing it for me...ready to move on to Act III.

Focus on what you enjoy most in gaming and then determine which game fits your style.

Deleted
    with 3 characters above 20, and you still are not enjoying any of the stories, then you are correct that this game is not for you and you should probably find another game more fitting to your style of play. I am sorry about that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    This is untrue in my opinion. Plenty of great things start out difficult or uninteresting but end up being amazing and sometimes you do just have to barrel through until it starts clicking. Heck vanilla and TBC wow is a pretty good example of this as I remember the grind to 60 as being pretty excruciating with lots of very very grindy moments but then found the end game massively enjoyable.

By the sounds of it the OP just isn't much of a quester but he may still find the dungeons and raids hugely enjoyable. My advice would be, as someone else said, join a good guild and promote yourself as a decent player, power level to 50 and start doing content then, or just leave it for a few months where Bioware will most likely add quite a few quality of life improvements as well as extra content for you to play through (they already have a new heroic and 4 new raid bosses coming soon).

As the title says I am really trying to enjoy this game, but I have never been too big of a fan of questing, questing, questing, questing. In a MMO I enjoy running 4/5 mans and leveling that way. I usually play a tank or healer and really enjoy that part of a MMO. I am on Anchorhead ( very heavy pop) and I really have a hard time finding a grp on my tank / healer toons both lvl 27. I have tried using the "LFG" but have never got an invite that way. Once again I really really want this game to work for me but right now it is not cutting it at all Am I alone on this one?
    You should never have to "force" yourself to like a game. If you don't like it, play another game. Unfortunately I have my Steam library full of games I played for a few hours and just didn't like it. Chalk it up to being open minded, trying a game, not liking it, and moving on

I am sure there are thousands of people like you

---------- Post added 2012-01-09 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diop View Post
    By the sounds of it the OP just isn't much of a quester but he may still find the dungeons and raids hugely enjoyable. My advice would be, as someone else said, join a good guild and promote yourself as a decent player, power level to 50 and start doing content then.
    I really like this game, but if this is the approach then this game is not for him at this time. End game needs a ton of polish. I have decided to level another toon (yes I like the Bioware questing model) while I wait for them to address many of the end game issues
    Last edited by davesurfer; 2012-01-09 at 06:18 PM.
    "Peace is a lie"

get a guild, find some peopel to run with and don't take leveling as a big example of group finding. People are probably out questing instead of sitting around looking for a group for <insert flash point>.

Running flashpoints is simply to add to the story of the current world and give you a break from questing add in a social MMO aspect.

The experience gained from running FPs is abysmal, the reason it is that way is so people like you won't try to sit there and run 4 man flashpoints all day and not interact with the voice acted storyline that is the main focus of the leveling experience.

When you hit max level you can run instances as much as you like.

Leveling in this game takes a while compared to other MMOs, but it is still a better leveling experience than any other game although it is linear and lower replayability.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    don't really understand as they actually made questing more interessting.
    The questing in this game is utter crap. Its now at the point where is am to scared to kill a mob. I know when i do will have to kill 10/20/35/boss half the time. I had to turn the game off a while ago due to how grindy it is. On Tatooine you get a quest to save some militia recruits from the Geobugthings and you have to kill 10/30/6 harder ones/blow up 8 crates/boss. Fair play for that this is the standard grind we all know and hate. The galling part that made me log off was about 20 mins later on the other side of the zone i had to kill 20 of the same Geobugthings and the the bloody Jawa sends you back to the same place i was at before when i saved the militia recruits from the Geobugthings. Then when i slogg my way back to where i was half an hour ago i have to kill 10/20/collect 3 bombs/fook knows what after i do that!!

Now i know what you are thinking. Dont do it stupid!! Great plan but i already have 4 quests in my log that i cant abandon that are 'Bonus' quests and i aint lvl 30 yet. If you kill a mob the quest is there untill you complete it or you seem to be stuck with it forever. Sadly you cant get back into the place to do the quests as the door in now red. Unless its a heroic daily quest the area is gone forever.

I guess i hate the questing so much as i am alt daft. Thus far i have Sage at 32 , Smuggler at 25 and my Trooper to 28. If i ever see Taris again it will be a billion trillion years to soon. Now the cut scenes and story are magnificent but the actual questing is the pits. Have to say its pretty much the worse questing i have ever seen in any western mmo.
    Last edited by mmoc795dc7ac28; 2012-01-09 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Running flashpoints is simply to add to the story of the current world and give you a break from questing add in a social MMO aspect.

The experience gained from running FPs is abysmal, the reason it is that way is so people like you won't try to sit there and run 4 man flashpoints all day and not interact with the voice acted storyline that is the main focus of the leveling experience.

When you hit max level you can run instances as much as you like.

Leveling in this game takes a while compared to other MMOs, but it is still a better leveling experience than any other game although it is linear and lower replayability.
    If they didn't want people to have the option to run Flash Points over and over again, they wouldn't let you keep running the flash point and get XP.

Deleted
    Take action into your own hands, dont be a mindless drone and talk to people

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    The questing in this game is utter crap. Its now at the point where is am to scared to kill a mob. I know when i do will have to kill 10/20/35/boss half the time. I had to turn the game off a while ago due to how grindy it is. On Tatooine you get a quest to save some militia recruits from the Geobugthings and you have to kill 10/30/6 harder ones/blow up 8 crates/boss. Fair play for that this is the standard grind we all know and hate. The galling part that made me log off was about 20 mins later on the other side of the zone i had to kill 20 of the same Geobugthings and the the bloody Jawa sends you back to the same place i was at before when i saved the militia recruits from the Geobugthings. Then when i slogg my way back to where i was half an hour ago i have to kill 10/20/collect 3 bombs/fook knows what after i do that!!

Know i know what you are thinking. Dont do it stupid!! Great plan but i already have 4 quests in my log that i cant abandon that are 'Bonus' quests and i aint lvl 30 yet. If you kill a mob the quest is there untill you complete it or you seem to be stuck with it forever. Sadly you cant get back into the place to do the quests as the door in now red. Unless its a heroic daily quest the area is gone forever.

I guess i hate the questing so much as i am alt daft. Thus far i have Sage at 32 , Smuggler at 25 and my Trooper to 28. If i ever see Taris again it will be a billion trillion years to soon. Now the cut scenes and story are magnificent but the actual questing is the pits. Have to say its pretty much the worse questing i have ever seen in any western mmo.
    i get your point but i guess i can deal with it. im sort of like you, with all my alts but yet to have real progress on 1 ~ ,^
    i rerolled from my sith inquisitor to another inquisitor just because i was bored of being a human!
    crazy i know i know

Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    The questing in this game is utter crap. Its now at the point where is am to scared to kill a mob. I know when i do will have to kill 10/20/35/boss half the time. I had to turn the game off a while ago due to how grindy it is.
    You know bonus quests are completely optional and you can just ignore them pretty much all the time if you like? They don't award as much xp for copleting the objective as the kill 8 mob quest or collection quest that sent you into the location. Sure you can be a completionist and over level yourself for the next zone but don't complain about how grindy something is when you choose to actually grind the completely optional objectives that don't really give you much beyond the shot at more commendations.

edit: also judging the game's questing based on the worst examples possible. This game actually does have entertaining quests. Yes some crappy ones are added, but mostly they're tagged "Bonus" and only offer slight xp gains (compared to regular quests) and a slight change in dialogue for another quest.