this is a good story about dystopian futures but since its reality its not dystopian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...police-schools

seriously this is messed up...having a criminal record because you throw a paper plane or going to jail if you are late at school...hell its truly the land of the free :P

Deleted
    Wait what. I knew the American education system was terrible; but seriously?

I feel incredibly sorry for Texas at the moment.

Edit:

Many of those who appear in front of Meurer have learning problems. Children with disabilities are particularly vulnerable to the consequences of police in schools. Simpkins describes the case of a boy with attention deficit disorder who as a 12-year-old tipped a desk over in class in a rage. He was charged with threatening behaviour and sent to a juvenile prison where he was required to earn his release by meeting certain educational and behavioural standards.

"But he can't," she said. "Because of that he is turning 18 within the juvenile justice system for something that happened when he was 12. It's a real trap.
    That is literally sickening to me. I don't think I can express my disgust enough.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2012-01-10 at 06:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Is that really serious? I mean, it just beggars belief :S
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Yeah, screw Texas!

The only time I really saw cops were some school patrol vehicles in the depths of Bronx (New York). Those guys are arguably warranted based on the crime rate in the area (not only protect the students from each other, but also from outsiders: drugs, violence, gangs, etc).

I am having a hard time buying the thing about paper airplanes. There might be more to the story, ala "Was disruptive, throwing airplanes around, the proceeded to punch the security guy in the face".

Each day, hundreds of schoolchildren appear before courts in Texas charged with offences such as swearing, misbehaving on the school bus or getting in to a punch-up in the playground. Children have been arrested for possessing cigarettes, wearing "inappropriate" clothes and being late for school.
    Can't say I disagree...

But that entire story is just silly. Being arrested for spraying perfume?'

edit: ooh ooh, and breaking your arm for refusing pick up crumbs? ._.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-01-10 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    Can't say I disagree...
    Then I question your mental stability. And as for the entire article being "Silly". Texan judges are complaining about it. One of Texas's senators has outright condemned the bill that passed it and championed the cause to get it banned entirely. Unfortunately he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Then I question your mental stability. And as for the entire article being "Silly". Texan judges are complaining about it. One of Texas's senators has outright condemned the bill that passed it and championed the cause to get it banned entirely. Unfortunately he failed.
    I agree that they're doing more than a slap on the wrists for things like that.

How they're handling it is absurd though.