Deleted

Heart of Unliving 403

I've noticed on a lot of threads, people have said that the Heart of Unliving is best in slot.

I'm currently using Jaws of Defeat Heroic and have read good things about using it with a Healing Rain / Lightning Bolt spam for a better mana return with Telluric Currents. (For the record, my 2nd trinket is SotSS:397)

Just curious whether I should change trinket if I get the opportunity. Intellect is supposedly every caster's strongest stat yet I'd be taking a 110 Intellect loss by dropping to the Normal Heart of Unliving.

Does any of you mathy types have anything to back up why I should switch or even why I should stick to what I have?

Deleted
    i dont think spaming LB (long cast time, low cost) makes full usage of your Jaws trinket. I would rather pop it in healer burn phase spam CH/HR/GHW/RT and just LB on the phases that u are using trinket+lb now.

as for the HoU, i get 2900ish spirit with it and i dont mind the 100-200 int loss over other trinkets. Also, yumi mana tides. Quite an improvement over my JAR (JoD only dropped once in HC and once in normal in our guild :s).

for all of you hating on spirit: HoU does give u unreforgeable spirit. I just look at it as a way to get my gear without spi/reforge out of it. 880 mastery 100% uptime
    Last edited by mmoc172a4fa6d8; 2012-01-10 at 05:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    880 spirit really, really makes up for the loss of intellect. Really does. Run with Heart of the Unliving (any version)/H-Jaws of Defeat. That will take you through to heroic Madness. The only change that one might make is Jaws of Defeat to heroic Seal of the Seven Signs. But only because of sheer numbers in terms of stats, it's still an overall mediocre trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleh View Post
    Does any of you mathy types have anything to back up why I should switch or even why I should stick to what I have?
    There is no hard math for anything resto. Common sense reigns supreme.
    mhm? mhm.

Yes. Given 7k intellect, the HoU 403 proc alone is worth 616 MP5. Jaws of Defeat in a best case (all 1s casts) scenario is worth 755 MP5. In addition, HoU is worth 181 MP5 from MTT. The proc is worth 797 MP5 in a fairly normal scenario (scale MTT uptime down slightly since you're not popping it to start fights), with the INT worth . However, this is pretty implausible in terms of mana saved for JoD. Vixsin, in his trinket analysis, uses 6875 mana saved, which is the equivalent of 11 spells cast in 20 seconds. At this value, the proc is worth 286 MP5. You also get 20-30 MP5 out of the static INT relative to HoU. The difference in just your MP5 is roughly 380-390 MP5, which is about 550 spirit, and this isn't factoring the benefit to your healing team via MTT. It's likely that 550 secondary stat points is worth more than 110 INT.

Keep Jaws and Unliving. Retire S7S. Off the top of my head, any version of HoU is "best in first slot". For the second slot you want Windward Heart, or failing that a JoD hc. The secondary effect on S7S is pretty useless due to low uptime, unreliability and the poor value of haste for a resto shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    There is no hard math for anything resto. Common sense reigns supreme.
    As they say: common sense isn't. A lot of the time people go for the obvious solution to a problem without having fully understood the nature of the problem. Sometimes there are two solutions to a problem, of which one may or may not be better. That's where the math comes in, as it's not always clear which option is the better one, especially when it comes to stats and gearing.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way to look at it is not really static Int with Spirit, the way to look at it is that you can reforge away from Spirit on other gear, giving you 800ish (780 for LFR, 880 for Normal and I think 990 for Heroic) of any secondary you want, thus making it outweigh other trinkets. As said above, the Seal is kind of meh, if it were on use for a slightly longer duration, it could be viable for healing intensive phases (would give most people an extra tick on Healing Rain, and would decrease Chain Heal cast time by quite a bit), but as a proc, it is unreliable and I seem to get extremely useless procs for it (such as on the pull when I put RT on the tanks). Windward Heart is a good choice for your second trinket, the healing does scale with gear and it targets the lowest health party member, so it shouldn't proc on pets too much, its free healing which is always good. I'm not sure where the Jaws fit in in terms of approximate MP5, but I believe BiS is HoU and Windward Heart.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar

Deleted
    Thanks for your thoughts peeps.

I'd say 880 spirit >>>> 110 intellect. Plus it's fixed to work with mana tide now, so giant boost to mana tide as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, Mana Tide is such a mediocre cooldown anymore (personal CD wise, spread over 5 people it is excellent in terms of total regen), the relative value of stats is what makes the trinket better. If Int is weighted at 1, which it should be for everyone, then 110 Int gives 110 stat points, and then you compare that to your stat weight for whatever you are reforging your Spirit to, say its Mastery, which you weight at .65. 880*.65=572 so that 880 Spirit gains you 572 stat points, making the Heart of Unliving 462 stat points higher than the other trinkets. Now, with that said, that math does not include difficult to quantify procs on other trinkets such as the Seal or Windward Heart, so they should get some stat points for their procs, but the Heart still comes out on top.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar