Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Didn't the packers and giants win the super bowl as a wild card team who didn't win there division I mean I beat there is a Super Bowl winning team that beat a team in the big game that lost to that same team earlier in the year.
    Exactly. That's why there needs to be a bigger pool, with a few voted-in teams. Wild card teams do well in every other sport, especially in the NFL.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Exactly. That's why there needs to be a bigger pool, with a few voted-in teams. Wild card teams do well in every other sport, especially in the NFL.
    My point was thou he said that Bama didn't even win the division my point was that because the 2nd best team in the nation at the time was in the same division doesn't mean they don't deserve a title shot. The BCS got it wrong when they put the Sooners in the title game in 2003 and 2004 because they were Oklahoma not because they were the 2nd best team at the time. It all comes down to the best 2 teams in the nation were in the same conf. Do you really think Ok.State or Oregon was better I can argue they should have done away with the BCS title game in 2003 or 2004 when auburn got screwed out of the title game and Oklahoma got in.

Didn't the packers and giants win the super bowl as a wild card team who didn't win there division I mean I beat there is a Super Bowl winning team that beat a team in the big game that lost to that same team earlier in the year.
    Well fuck I meant college sports. But thanks for bring pros up, cuz they play a, wait for it.....*drum roll* playoff. They don't have judges rate their performance like Ice Skating or Gymnastics that allow them to move on.
    Nice point thou!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Well fuck I meant college sports. But thanks for bring pros up, cuz they play a, wait for it.....*drum roll* playoff. They don't have judges rate their performance like Ice Skating or Gymnastics that allow them to move on.
    Nice point thou!
    Look I have been an opponent of BCS since it started so I'm not saying its the best way to determine a winner by any means. Having saying that I'm just saying that this year they got it right the no1 vs no2 team in the nation played and it just so happened they where in the same conference and in the same division and had played each other in a tight game before. Look if you take out teams names and I told you that the no2 team in the country only lost to the no1 team and it was by 3 points in over time and the only other teams that were one loss (OK.State and Boise State) lost to teams not even ranked how could you think the other teams were better then those guys.

I feel like adjusting this topic a bit (though im not the author). What system would you like to see? Justify whatever means of selection process or rankings.

i'll give you my ideal

1. Top 16 of the BCS final poll. Only a few stipulations.
    -No Auto-bid Conference Champion.
    a. Not all conferences are equal in competitive quality. (ex. Pac-12 is clearly head and shoulders better than the WAC)
    b. Maintains integrity of every regular season game counting.
    -Max 4 teams from a conference with exception.
    a. 5th team from conference is replaced by next lowest BCS ranked school (ex. #17 or #18)
    b. If #17 is of same conference as 5th school in queue or different conference with 4 representatives, the original 5th school is rewarded the spot as per their ranking.
    c. Replacement will not be pursued more than one rank below the seeding in question. (ex: if #16 is the 5th school and (b) is #17, #18 cannot fill the spot)
    -No same conference matchup first round
    a. Unless opponent is not in the same division and not scheduled for regular season(12+ conference)*
    b. Cannot compete against opponent from conference champioship post season*
    c. Unless opponent is not scheduled that same season (11 or less conference)*
    *teams ranked 1-8 are to maintain home game status in first round. Teams can be rotated 1 rank up or down to ensure home game (except 8 and 9 switch) and guarantee an previously unseen opponent

2. Selection system of teams for the 16 team playoff.
    -Top 25 media poll
    -(stay tuned, likely to change)

3. Locations of match-ups varies as per round
    -Round of 16 is played at higher seed's home stadium or venue of Universities' choice. (Ex. Texas at Jerry World or Cotton Bowl instead of Home Campus)
    -Round of 8 is played at higher seed's home stadium or venue of Universities' choice.
    -National Semi-final is played on Neutral site other than the four BCS Bowl sites (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange) Cities can bid for host location
    -National Championship Game is played on site of one of the Four rotating BCS venues (Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange)

Its all for fun, any input, rules, stipulations, method of ranking or anything else would be fun to change and see what we get. So gimme some of your ideas!
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-01-16 at 09:29 PM. Reason: my dream format
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Cuz only 5 short years ago #2 Michigan lost a road game to #1 Ohio St 41 - 39 and the SEC screamed then....REMATCHES are boring. This isn't they screwed the Big 10 then, its a hypocrisy thing. Every few years the SEC changes their stance on this to fit their needs.

As Saban said in 2003, how can a team that didn't win or play for the conference title have a shot at the National Title? 'Specially a home game! The BCS only salvation is that 'Bama won, if 'Bama hadn't the question would be even more heated.

'Bama won, played great and deserved it, no doubt. They proved they were the best on the field. By other year standards, they shouldn't have had a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    As Saban said in 2003, how can a team that didn't win or play for the conference title have a shot at the National Title?.
    Yeeeaaaahhhh, no. He never said that, it's a false rumor.

---------- Post added 2012-01-16 at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    I feel like adjusting this topic a bit (though im not the author). What system would you like to see? Justify whatever means of selection process or rankings.
    Playoff with the top 12 teams, kind of like the NFL, top 4 get a bye week first week. OR a Possible top 8 or 16 playoff, just to give everyone a chance, it is college football. Upsets can happen and "cinderalla teams" could make possible pushes through a playoff system.

@tj you are correct, or at least as far I can tell, I misquoted he did say the quote below.
    Its basically the same thing thou....3 teams in contention 2 play 1 left w/o knowing;
    "I don't think anyone will know who the legitimate national champion is unless all three teams in consideration get the opportunity to play one another," Nick Saban
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in587241.shtml

My apologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    even with playoffs the winner sometimes still isn't the best team in the country they just happened to get luck or the best team was unlucky. Take the year the pats went undefeated and lost to the Giant's in the Super Bowl do you think if that same team played against each other 10 times that the Giants would have beat them more then twice I don't. The Giant's won the super bowl but they were not the best team the just got lucky and the pats were unlucky. Point is even the NFL system of determining a champion isn't really that great its better then collage but not better then the NBA or MLB.

even with playoffs the winner sometimes still isn't the best team in the country they just happened to get luck or the best team was unlucky. Take the year the pats went undefeated and lost to the Giant's in the Super Bowl do you think if that same team played against each other 10 times that the Giants would have beat them more then twice I don't. The Giant's won the super bowl but they were not the best team the just got lucky and the pats were unlucky.
    I don't find that to be a fair assesment, champion's arent determined by who looks best on paper, or had the best record, we see time and time again in college football, teams will load up a schedule with cupcakes and win 95% of them and get selected to a BCS game or a big bowl game over a team with a minutely worse record, but a far superior schedule. A Champion is the one, who when the cards are down and the spotlights are focused on them, show up and take care of buisness. The patriots were the better team on paper and in practice, but when they got to the Super Bowl as the heavy favorite, they didnt play like winners. The patriots of 07-08 will forever be remembered as the "what could have been" team.

Point is even the NFL system of determining a champion isn't really that great its better then college but not better then the NBA or MLB.
    ooooook, stop right there. we gotta break this down Barney style.

Pros of NBA playoffs:
    -seeded on record not division (good teams get good seeds and favorable matchups)

Cons of NBA playoffs
    -half the league's teams get in
    -takes too long and to many fans is "the start of the season"

Pros of MLB playoffs:
    -proportionate pool to the overall field (8 total teams in)

Cons of MLB playoffs:
    -Division winner outweighs record (better wild card candidate eliminated in favor of division winner
    -painfully long season to reach the final 8 teams symptom of "the start of the season" syndrome

At least in the NFL the games count! record determines your seed (though as of late division winners have eliminated better teams in both regular season and post season) You have one chance to show up every week and make your mark, if you cant or dont do it your out. The NFL has the best system for a few simple reasons, when you look at ratings and revenue, guess who is the wealthiest? NFL!
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    I don't find that to be a fair assesment, champion's arent determined by who looks best on paper, or had the best record, we see time and time again in college football, teams will load up a schedule with cupcakes and win 95% of them and get selected to a BCS game or a big bowl game over a team with a minutely worse record, but a far superior schedule. A Champion is the one, who when the cards are down and the spotlights are focused on them, show up and take care of buisness. The patriots were the better team on paper and in practice, but when they got to the Super Bowl as the heavy favorite, they didnt play like winners. The patriots of 07-08 will forever be remembered as the "what could have been" team.

ooooook, stop right there. we gotta break this down Barney style.

Pros of NBA playoffs:
    -seeded on record not division (good teams get good seeds and favorable matchups)

Cons of NBA playoffs
    -half the league's teams get in
    -takes too long and to many fans is "the start of the season"

Pros of MLB playoffs:
    -proportionate pool to the overall field (8 total teams in)

Cons of MLB playoffs:
    -Division winner outweighs record (better wild card candidate eliminated in favor of division winner
    -painfully long season to reach the final 8 teams symptom of "the start of the season" syndrome

At least in the NFL the games count! record determines your seed (though as of late division winners have eliminated better teams in both regular season and post season) You have one chance to show up every week and make your mark, if you cant or dont do it your out. The NFL has the best system for a few simple reasons, when you look at ratings and revenue, guess who is the wealthiest? NFL!
    What does wealth have to do with better playoff's. The biggest reason why the NFL is the top sport in the U.S anyways is because they don't have a game on every day and its a better product atm. As far as game's counting only in the NFL that's just garbage yea I guess a team could take a few days off and not show up but then that could mean they don't make the playoffs or get home field advantage. Look at the MLB last year the sox and braves missed the playoffs by a half game in the last couple days of the season with a 9 and 10 game lead. But I think that no sport has the perfect solution of deciding a winner but the NFL in my mind isn't the best and no neither is collage football.

The main thing about a playoff system is most people will be willing to travel out of town for one game but there not going to do it for 2 or 3 sure some teams travel better then others but there's some that just don't (I'm looking at you boise state).

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 11:31 PM ----------

What does wealth have to do with better playoff's. The biggest reason why the NFL is the top sport in the U.S anyways is because they don't have a game on every day and its a better product atm. As far as game's counting only in the NFL that's just garbage yea I guess a team could take a few days off and not show up but then that could mean they don't make the playoffs or get home field advantage. Look at the MLB last year the sox and braves missed the playoffs by a half game in the last couple days of the season with a 9 and 10 game lead. But I think that no sport has the perfect solution of deciding a winner but the NFL in my mind isn't the best and no neither is collage football.

The main thing about a playoff system is most people will be willing to travel out of town for one game but there not going to do it for 2 or 3 sure some teams travel better then others but there's some that just don't (I'm looking at you boise state).
    By travel I mean 2-3 weeks str8 and across the country

So the FCS manages this, but some reason the FBS wouldnt be able to? Bowl games are logistical nightmares and the reason teams like Michigan or Virginia Tech made it to the Sugar Bowl is because the Michigan and tech alumni pools are enormous and they have fans everywhere. IF Notre Dame had anything close to a title contending team they could probably do a bowl game in another country and get a good several thousand to show up (ok maybe not true but you get the idea)

This is why the opponents of the BCS proposed the on campus playoff games, home team support would be there, travel costs would go down and universities would make money and you wouldnt have schools raising tuition to pay off debts. Youre right though, Boise does not travel well and thats an enormous reason why theyre gonna get overlooked for big bowl games, its also a huge reason why no big time school will travel to boise (proven by games in Washington DC and Atlanta).
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-01-18 at 05:39 AM.
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?