Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm amazed and dumbfounded that the game launched with this problem, especially considering it didn't exist in beta.

The game looks just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    People outside of your party are not displayed
    You sure? Im could swear they were in the two weekend betas I was in, might have change thoe, or I might be remembering wrong.

But you will still beable to see your party members, run around the background doing whatever they are doing(no scripted).

Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    This seems to be the point that you have completely avoided in all of your posts trying to champion the game as being great looking. Yes it looks good no doubts but it's not as good as it can be and thus the issue. If its nice enough for you then fine heed your own advise leave the forum posts that don't agree with yours and go enjoy the game!
    Want to see who I was championing against? People like this -

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSalty View Post

-----------
    Quote Originally Posted by psycow View Post
    You sure? Im could swear they were in the two weekend betas I was in, might have change thoe, or I might be remembering wrong.

But you will still beable to see your party members, run around the background doing whatever they are doing(no scripted).
    Those were bugged. You can't see anyone around you if you're in a cut scene (except party members).

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterSalty View Post
    You have some insanely high standards for MMO graphics.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psycow View Post
    If they are not participating in the cut-scene - you do not see them, if they are - they do not run around, they are scripted.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Those were bugged. You can't see anyone around you if you're in a cut scene (except party members).
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    If they are not participating in the cut-scene - you do not see them, if they are - they do not run around, they are scripted.
    I stand corrected, I do have a follow up question to that, if the beta servers could handle it,
    so should the retail server, which in turn means: isnt Bioware just pull stuff out of its ass? or was the beta server somehow magicaly more stable then retails?

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, servers can handle anything (in given context) it's the client that struggles.

Beta client couldn't handle it if there were enough people in the view, hence the removal of this option from beta client and why launch client doesn't have it (apart from the redundant option in graphics settings).

Does your FPS drop in the Fleet in a rush hour? Imagine what it would be like with hi-res textures with current client.

You just have to wait for patch 1.2+, they promised to address this issue and improve the visual quality of characters without performance drop. 1.2 is expected anytime in Q1 this year (think Spring - March - 31th).

The nerd rage is deafening on this "issue". It warrants noting the following:

* When looking a ALL that is rendered on the screen, the character portion is a small, small fraction of everything
    * Hands down the environment texture detail and rendering is top quality beating many top tier games on the market TODAY (ie, 2D trees in a headline game today)
    * The spell detail is as good or better than many top tier games on the market TODAY. Only in the last 6 months has Blizz started to update their spell details to something similar as in SWTOR today.
    * Even within the context of character detail, please realize that Blizzard still has the original as shipped very low rez character rendering of the original Vanilla types.
    * And Blizz has said repeatedly they have no plans to update the character texture rez on those older character types

==> Hence, the references to "god awful", "garbage", etc are referenced to what? And it is valid why? Because a crap ton of WoW people are paying and very satisfied today with lower rez textures than SWTOR ships with today.

* And there is no "outrage" (read nerd rage) at Blizz for their "god awful and crappy player textures" and protests of cancelling their subs.
    * You still have 2D trees in WoW vs realistic trees in WoW, but no nerd rage over the crappy trees.
    * You still have 2D grass in WoW vs realistic grass, flowers, weeds, etc in SWTOR, but no nerd rage over that.
    * You have ground textures such as snow, sand, wind with dust, etc that is better in SWTOR than WoW. Where is the nerd rage over the "crappy graphics" of WoW?

Do I need to go on?

WTF, why can people still trying to compare SWTOR and WoW in terms of graphics.

SWTOR even with the withdrawal of the HD textures from the game in the last phases of beta, STILL look much better than WoW.

From MMO's i've played over the last 10years only TERA and AoC looked better graphically.

@ag666

We should be given the option to turn the HD textures, if we wanted, EA/BW dictating what is better for me sounds very intrusive. I didn't built a gaming PC to be told by others, they know better what i can or cannot handle.

OFF-topic - only problem for me with TOR is the Abilities delay and animations interfering with instant casts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    @ag666

We should be given the option to turn the HD textures, if we wanted, EA/BW dictating what is better for me sounds very intrusive. I didn't built a gaming PC to be told by others, they know better what i can or cannot handle.
    They did the right thing, I fully support their decision. They know better. They have high-end machines, they did the beta test. They know better. Period.
    We do not need the option that we cannot use. The amount of QQ would've been a lot higher if they would've left said option. "I have the herp-derp-machine with herp-derp specs and my FPS is low on herp-derp settings while Crysis10 herp-derps at 100fps". Again, they did the right thing. Your gaming PC CANNOT handle it. They know better.

They did the right thing, I fully support their decision. They know better. They have high-end machines, they did the beta test. They know better. Period.
    We do not need the option that we cannot use. The amount of QQ would've been a lot higher if they would've left said option. "I have the herp-derp-machine with herp-derp specs and my FPS is low on herp-derp settings while Crysis10 herp-derps at 100fps". Again, they did the right thing. Your gaming PC CANNOT handle it. They know better.
    This is what I think as well.

Good luck trying to convince that to people who look for any reason at all to dislike the game though.

People forget that this is a PC game not a console game. PC games have always released like this. They will fix it over time, just like every other PC game that had issues or things missing on release. If a person can't handle stuff like that then perhaps they need to go back to their console.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I don't see this to be big enough of an issue to warrant unsubscribing, but to each their own.
    Thats me was well, it's not worth leaving but I wonder how much of a problem the Hero engine will cause in the future of the game.

First you have a problem with the hero engine running high end graphics on even powerful machines.

There is also a problem with the hero engine working in some sounds.

Makes me wonder does the engine BW is using have the strength and stability to last.

So you support them lying to people? Awesome.

Good luck trying to convince that to people who look for any reason at all to dislike the game though.

People forget that this is a PC game not a console game. PC games have always released like this. They will fix it over time, just like every other PC game that had issues or things missing on release. If a person can't handle stuff like that then perhaps they need to go back to their console.
    Console has nothing to do with this. Hell, if you really want to pull that card, the fact the removed them is more in line with consoles anyway since consoles don't have choices on graphics settings at all.

I do find it funny that both of you seem to miss the point entirely about why people are mad...

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

Console has nothing to do with this. Hell, if you really want to pull that card, the fact the removed them is more in line with consoles anyway since consoles don't have choices on graphics settings at all.

I do find it funny that both of you seem to miss the point entirely about why people are mad...
    You're a lost cause.

I wasn't trying to pull any card. I was simply mentioning consoles to reflect the fact that when a console game is released that's the way it stays. When a PC game is released it's modded, updated, fixed and changed over time.

You're grasping at straws trying to find some argument there but there isn't one.

Furthermore, I'm not missing any point about why people are mad. This is why people are mad -

1. They feel they were tricked
    2. They want the option to turn on HD themselves, not have it told to them that it can't be on

Guess what, those may be valid reasons why you and others think you should be mad but to me (a PC gamer) they are stupid reasons. So, my post was quite on the point of the topic, despite you yourself missing it and trying to focus on the fact I mentioned consoles.

Get it through your head, they never lied to anyone. They didn't have giant posters saying "COME PLAY THE BEST LOOKING GAME EVER IN HD THAT CAN RUN ON ALL MACHINES!!". What they did was test HD in beta, see it wasn't optimized and more people would complain that they couldn't run it then those that could (if any at all) and they shut it down for release. Doesn't mean we will never see HD graphics, it just means they aren't on right now. There was no conspiracy, trickery or lies. Keep believing what you want, you're just looking for a reason to bitch.
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2012-01-13 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    By the way how is it that all you care are textures which are more or less fine the way they are, yet you have no problem with odd proportions on humanoids and very bland dummy-like animations?

Also one big thing for comparison of those two games, keep in mind this game unlike WoW uses normal mapped characters with specular reflections and indirect lightning, where WoW is using pretty much fixed pipeline (very basic and rough shading) on their characters, so that they cannot hope for any competitive screens no matter how better their artists do.

10+ Year Old Account

Even console games release in shit condition some times. RE: Ps3 SKYRIM (GAME OF THE YEAR SKYRIM AT THAT).

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    By the way how is it that all you care are textures which are more or less fine the way they are, yet you have no problem with odd proportions on humanoids and very bland dummy-like animations?

Also one big thing for comparison of those two games, keep in mind this game unlike WoW uses normal mapped characters with specular reflections and indirect lightning, where WoW is using pretty much fixed pipeline (very basic and rough shading) on their characters, so that they cannot hope for any competitive screens no matter how better their artists do.
    This thread is specifically discussing one subject, the subject of the textures.
    No one here is ignoring certain things for others, i'm pretty sure that almost every single humanoid using the same skeleton sucks has a thread somewhere here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    I said quite clearly what I support. Also they didn't lie. How awesome is that?