Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    gatlin and 3 other men =/= 199 criminals? that doesn't sound right. is the title wrong or am I missing something?

edit: still figuring this out, he tried to pardon 199 criminals, at least four of which were known serious threats to society? at some point this was overruled by someone else?
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-01-12 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well statistically speaking murder does have some of the lowest recidivism rates.

The United States Department of Justice tracked the rearrest, re-conviction, and re-incarceration of former inmates for 3 years after their release from prisons in 15 states in 1994.[10] Key findings include:
    Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).
    Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide. These are the lowest rates of re-arrest for the same category of crime.
    The 272,111 offenders discharged in 1994 had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.
    Former criminals rose to become some of America's greatest leaders in law, industry, and politics. This possibility seems to be narrowing as criminal records become electronically stored and accessible.[11]

The article did mention that 90 percent were already out of the prison system and this was just done to help them gain employment ie they had served their debt to society give them a break. Also those in question were trustees meaning they were showing signs of good behavior hence what the correction system is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidiv...cidivism_rates

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure they had an injunction on this. Mississippi is one of the few states to have a 30 days notice before you can pardon anybody.

It was a pardon. As in forgive a guy who allready spent 20 years in prison.

Some of you realy act as if you never did anything wrong in your life. Reality will hit you hard one day.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post

Some of you realy act as if you never did anything wrong in your life. Reality will hit you hard one day.
    One of the guys committed a murder and attempted to kill another woman. Reality hits me hard weekly now as I keep hearing stories about how totally moronic people with power and responsibility can actually be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post

No one is perfect. Saying that "no one is perfect" is not justification for pardoning a murderer.
    Putin khuliyo

Pardoned murderers not checking; masnhunt underway

Hide yo Wives, Hide you children! They be murderin everyone!

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/...est_scott.html

This is pretty much the worst case of incompetence I have ever seen in my entire life. The hell is going on down there? I wish them luck in finding those convicted killers that he let go for doing a good job cleaning his toilet!