Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are Marauders really that hard to play?

Talking strictly PvE no pvp are they really that hard to play? I keep hearing that they are the hardest DPS to play, require tons of keybinds, and also do the least damage and have the most issues along with their Jedi mirror. But when I do a /who it turns up a ton of them, more than most of the other classes. Usually the class with the most people playing it is good and easy to play because why would you want to play something thats not only bad but also hard to play? So either they are all masochists or they are master gamers neither of which I believe. Is all the "Marauders suck and are hard to play" talk just trolls or is their some truth to it?

meh I do fine on mine, though I'm noticing they do feel a bit squishy at times. they might be a little underpowered, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as people act.

I dont play one but they are apparently melee glass cannons that you have to be careful with when leveling or you will die quite a bit. However I have also heard that they are very strong DPS at cap.

You see so many of them because people think 'more lightsabers = better!'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only levelling mine atm so I can't say much and level 20 so don't exactly have all the moves but they don't require that much skill to be able to play as far as I can see. Build rage, Spend rage. Build Fury, Spend Fury.

Died a couple of times levelling but that's only because of pulling elites, falling down cliffs or walking into heroic areas underestimating them. Can't wait to see it at cap but I seem to do fine damage and can survive the bog-standard quest with ease.

I didn't have a problem with them. But when I log back to my main, a Bounty Hunter, it's like day and night. My Bounty Hunter rips through mobs like no tomorrow while my marauder slowly kills groups. The Bounty Hunter has so many hard-hitting AoEs, it gets a bit crazy at some points, while the Marauder has many single-target abilities that hit less hard then the BH AoE abilities. Then I log my IA sniper. Also a heavy single target character but with much higher burst and better sustained dps when soloing if you have your tank companion out. Then I log my assasin. Also single target, but with control/cc abilities coming out my arsecrack and stealth to avoid needless fighting.

So yeah, the Jugg/Marauder has a harder time leveling. Not because of the difficulty, but because of the speed at which you kill. Untill you get to 36+, you'll be slow.

Also, Sith Warrior heavy armor beats 2 lightsabers in coolness every day of the week. Period. I've ditched my marauder for a Jugg.

This message was brought to you by a member of alt-o-holic anonymous.

About as hard as a Wrath-launch DK.

Make of that what you will.

They aren't hard to play, just harder to be very good at. Compared to the other classes where you spam lightning or spam tracer missles, yes they are harder.

Anyone can roll a Mara and be average, but it takes work and understanding of the class to really be good at it. This is due to a more complex priority system to our dps than any of the other classes. BioWare even came out and said they recognize that we have the most complex dps rotation and they hope solving some of the abilitiy delay issues will help us out.

They are squishy single target melee dps. When facing multiple mobs your health will drop fast.

It is indeed the hardest class in SW:ToR to play. At lvl 30 I use about 12-15 different skills pretty much every fight (and I still haven't got all the available skills for the class yet), whereas other classes need to use a lot less. I could potentionally use less skills, but that would result in me getting out of the fight barely alive.
    It's not extremely hard to play but takes quite some time to learn all your binds/rotation/priority. I don't have a Razer Naga so I have all binds to keyboard (1-6, s1-4, Q, E, F, G, T, s-Q, s-F, s-E) and three on mouse.

As to why this class is still so popular - dual wielding lightsabers, that's all.

OH OH also, the class is severely hampered by skill delay and stuttering. Just so fucking horrible. I had 10x less problems on my BH with this issue.
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-01-12 at 06:46 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerakal View Post
    About as hard as a Wrath-launch DK.

Make of that what you will.
    season 5 insta gladiator here i come

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 07:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    At lvl 30 I use about 12-15 different skills pretty much every fight (and I still haven't got all the available skills for the class yet)
    I find that hard to believe. This is my 8th MMO now dating back to UO and I have never used a 15 ability grinding rotation in ANY of them. The trend these days is to make MMOs more casual friendly and I doubt a company would throw out a class that requires half your keyboard bound to abilities to play. It just makes no sense and is stupid to require that much effort from one class when every other can do better with only 3-4. Also the fact that there are so many even at higher levels means it cant be that hard. As WoW has proven gamers these days want the easiest route possible with the least effort required to play.
    Last edited by lilicia31; 2012-01-12 at 07:19 AM.

They can be squishy but have a few defensive CDs that can really help.

Also, using the Berserk stack thing can really power you through hard fights. Just need to plan ahead to make sure you have it when you really need it, and combined with the 20 min CD can make you pretty powerful...for a while.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Level 50 marauder here, and it was a pain to level compared to others. Weaker DPS for sure, but while doing a Warzone I felt amazing/godlike. Level 40+ gets a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by lilicia31 View Post
    season 5 insta gladiator here i come

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 07:18 AM ----------

I find that hard to believe. This is my 8th MMO now dating back to UO and I have never used a 15 ability grinding rotation in ANY of them. The trend these days is to make MMOs more casual friendly and I doubt a company would throw out a class that requires half your keyboard bound to abilities to play. It just makes no sense and is stupid to require that much effort from one class when every other can do better with only 3-4. Also the fact that there are so many even at higher levels means it cant be that hard. As WoW has proven gamers these days want the easiest route possible with the least effort required to play.
    Thing is, he really isn't. My Marauder is level 38 right now, and I use a ton of abilities. 14 to be exact, and all but 1 has a CD, then there are 3 defensive CDs, and a revenge proc attack. There is a lot to monitor, but they can be very powerful. Also, from what I hear, Marauders do near top single target dps end game, they are just gear dependent. Also, Carnage is the way to go. Just sayin.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 07:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zeq View Post
    Level 50 marauder here, and it was a pain to level compared to others. Weaker DPS for sure, but while doing a Warzone I felt amazing/godlike. Level 40+ gets a little better.
    The biggest thing for me was getting Gore. That 100% ArPen lets you put out some stupid high dps in pvp or on quest elites. I always use Trinket/Battering Assualt/Gore/Ravage/force scream and its like half health in 6 seconds.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Nah, he's right. I have been 50 now for about 2 weeks, and we literally use at least 12 abilities every engagement. That being said, the priority system doesn't seem that hard to comprehend to me, it's just a lot of buttons. I constantly wish for a 3rd bar available in the center. Still, I consider myself one of the few capable Marauders; not to brag, but I top DPS/kills constantly in PvP and have a lot of success in PvE as well. It's all about finding the balance of stats to grab, as well as a spec that fills out your rotation. I love the challenge TBH, but the class is too heavily reliant on it's CDs. One moment you're a killing machine with decent survivability, the next you're getting kited around and dead in a matter of seconds.
    I think the class is good overall, just not for everyone. And the ability delays do hamper us greatly. Once this issue is addressed and people have had more practice figuring the class out, I see no issues really besides a possible small increase to a couple damage abilities and maybe non-CD survivabilty.

Trust me, it's exactly as I said. I use that many skills pretty much every fight. Level a Marauder/Sentinel to 30+ and you will see it for yourself.
    You'll have an easier time playing this if you're an octopus
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Would a Jugg be easier then?

Hm I think Jugg is similar to Marauder, except they trade some of their dps for survivability. Not sure how many binds they have but I believe they have quite a few as well.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how y'all are using so many per engagement...

I just use Precision Slash, Slash (To be replaced with Blade Rush at 40), Zealous Slash (noticing a trend here...) Strike, Blade Storm and Leap (to get there) on most mobs... on Strong mobs I might throw in Master Strike just to get them down faster. Elites and non-boss Champs I'll use Stasis and Pacify. On fights with more than two mobs I'll use Force Sweep and Cyclone Slash. At 30 centering I MIGHT use Transcendence, if my Companion's tanking for me. The only time I ever use Rebuke and Saber Ward is when my companion dies and that's rare enough...

I don't even really need all of those. Hell, I could probably get by just on Strike, Slash and Zealous Slash...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Glad I'm not the only one who feels Sentinels/Marauders are squishy as hell. I must spend 3/4s of my time playing using the self-heal. Questing gets very dull. =/

It's a good job the Knight story is pretty engaging/fun. Think I would have stopped playing it by now if not.

Seems they play vaguely like Kitty DPS later on. DoTs! DoTs everywhere!

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2U6S...98FUAAAAAAADAA

Force Crush
    Trinkets and expertise bonus pot
    ???
    Sweep

Seems pretty easy to own

Deleted
    They dont seem to bad but I'm only level 30 but with the bleeds and fury cd's probs be quite demanding for good dps.