Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If I had a million dollars....

It used to be the old saying but obviously a million does not go as far as it used to so let's say for the exercise that we come up with a number like 250 million. I would say that's enough to be very wealthy, never have to work again and buy 99 percent of the realistic extravagances in the world. So let's hear it how do you spend it? Or more importantly, what do you do with yourself? Do you work, donate to charity, see the world or become a sloth?

Me personally, I'd probably take up dipping again, drink excessively and go on a sexual tour of asia. Oh yeah and first and foremost, I'd quit this fucking job, move back to the states full time and probably play WoW in a dark room in my house for about 6 months straight.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2012-01-12 at 08:21 AM.

1) Pay off all debts (For myself and family)
    2) Leave 90 million aside for savings, 10 million for all future debts, and 50 million to take care of my family and my wife's family.
    3) Go on vacation with my (future) wife and travel around the world.
    4) Use the rest of the money to create a business enterprise/empire hopefully adding my fair share of innovation to technology for future generations.
    5) Luxuries ? Probably not.

#4 would probably turn me into a billionaire, and I would live the life of "old money" even if I didn't want to. A change in lifestyle perhaps? I consider "set for life" having an income so high that money is never an issue anymore.
    Last edited by Litesung; 2012-01-12 at 07:58 AM.

If I had $250 million...
    I will look for a way to make it $500 million.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If I had $250 million...
    I will look for a way to make it $500 million.
    Why? What's the point?

I'd buy this http://www.jameslist.com/advert/2182...sland-paradise

Then, Put the rest in investments and just live on my island. Completely cut off from the rest of the world, other then the staff that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Why? What's the point?
    To double it again and make a billion ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a nice place to live with my girlfriend and live life and enjoy it.

Deleted
    Quit my shitty job.
    Build myself a very nice music studio and kick ass band rooms. (Rent time out in them when I'm not around.)
    Buy a very nice apartment somewhere.
    Find a bodacious gold-digger. Sign a prenup.
    Pay off everything my family and closest friends have withstanding (if they'll accept it).
    Make sure I have plenty secured for holidays to my favourite places for life.
    Give shed loads to Medicin Sans Frontiers and other half-decent charities.

250 million.

I'd go on a 1 million dollar shopping spree.

Set 124 million aside for myself/friends/family and retire. Invest the other 125 mil in secure investments to be donated to charity plus interest when I die.

I'd probably spend most of my time retired getting as many physics related university degrees as possible, because I love physics.

I also think I'd like to start a publishing company.

EDIT: To be honest 250 million is a retarded amount of money now that I think about it.

I doubt I'd spend 25 million of it before I died. 225 mil invested and to charity when I die, 25 million I think is enough to do everything I want to do before I die and help out friends and family without significantly altering the course of anybodies life.

That much money honestly scares the crap out of me still even. Like right now I'm writing a novel in my down time while working full time for middle class money, and I'd be happy if I made 1 grand off that novel, 10 grand very happy, 100 grand perfectly satisfied, but if it got into the millions of dollars then even using a pen name that would turn me into a public figure, which is something I really really want to avoid.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    I'd buy you some art. (A Picasso or a Garfunkle)
    Would we have to eat Kraft Dinner?
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-01-12 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd buy you some art. (A Picasso or a Garfunkle)

Hookers. And blackjack. Actually, forget the blackjack.

250 million cups of coffee

If I had...

... then I'd live a life I want, not that I'm forced to. Hobby, world trips, some luxuries but nothing too fancy (like really good PC/wide LCD TV/home cinema/personal library filled with books... lots of books, decent car. No 3-floor villas with bentleys, ferraris, pools and rich people stuff).

I'd live pretty much same life I have but without any responsibilities like job, debts, bills.

And remember: If $ 1M solves all your problems it means that you don't have problems. You simply lack of money.

Deleted
    Since I live in Europe and our currency is GOING DOWN ! BÄM ! ... I would be investing in real estate and renting appartments ...
    this way i have a little income additionally to my interest and I have couple of flats and houses that I could sell if thing get way out of line (money wise)

then I would slow down on my studies (because i could afford it :P)
    i also would buy a new computer, a new TV, a mass of games I always liked to play or at least try out ^^

and well ... i think the rest of my live would pretty much stay the same - at least i would love it to

Let's start with the basic 1 million. I'd put it all in safe investments with small, steady returns. Then, I work a job that I find fun and the interest makes up the difference

250 Million? That's more than I'd ever spend in my entire lifetime.
    Pay off any debt my immediate family may have. Next, about a few hundred thousand dollars for stuff my parents and brother always wanted to do (see the world, build a new house, etc). Heck throw in a house for myself, a new car for my parents and brother (each). I don't I've even spent the first million yet.
    Okay, take a hundred thousand a year and make that my income, on top of anything I might make working. I'm probably at 7-8 million spent.

I have no idea what I'd do with that kind of money, probably a lot of stupid, wasteful things.

Nothing...

...I would relax...

...I would sit on my ass all day...

...I would do nothing.

250million in this economy? Real estate and lots of it. Then start up a rental company to maintain it all, making sure to incorporate it and leave 50million for myself.

I would then let them do their thing while being the main shareholder, and proceed to Go to all the places I wanted to go, Specifically Israel, New Zealand, Ireland, Moscow, and Australia.

While I was touring the world, I would have my new house being built as I wanted it (nothing extravagant, just 4 bedroom/3bath with a couple specialty rooms including an indoor pool and a gaming room).

I'd play wow all day and be rich.

Deleted
    Get the fuck out of school and enjoy being the richest kid in Finland, and enjoy the rest of my life.
    I think that would make me some friend, too.
    Not that I want any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invest it in a high(ish) interest bank account, live happily off the interest for the rest of my life... After buying a decent house in a nice neighborhood (nothing too big or fancy) and a 1969 SS Camaro with a 327 and a 5 speed manual.

With the interest from 250mill I'd be able to live and buy any other small things I wanted without any problems.