Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Don't know where your getting this from, I'm gay and all my local groups / clubs have no issue with transgender or bisexuals. We infact have a large number of metrosexuals and straight people who just like to hang out, support us, or enjoy the culture.
    They're out there =P

It would be shocking though if a club specifically for LGBT people did have something against bi or trans people, people joining that probably already feel that way going in so they wouldn't discriminate against anyone there.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Don't know anything about these american organizations but "Girl Scouts" kinda screams at a particular gender.
    Good thing the issue here is one of not gender but biological sex, then.

If I was a boy in the girl scouts... well I may aswell quit maths because clearly 2 and 2 is out of my scope of understanding.
    This isn't about boys, so that's hardly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    If he hits on her and he's clearly interested in dating and she tells him upfront she's transgender the type of person who'd be violent would still be violent then, he'd be mad that he hit on a "guy" is no doubt the thought process of those who ARE prone to violence like that.
    The whole "trap" concept. He'd think she'd been deliberately deceiving him.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    There was actually a reality TV dating show show already produced on that premise. Look up "There's Something About Miriam." The show followed the same structure as The Bachelor, with men taking turns going out on dates with a TS bachelorette as she whittles down the group to one suitor and drops the bombshell on the winner. Personally, I find this kind of exploitation and shock value for ratings disgusting...
    Y'know...after the incident back in the '90s with the secret admirers on a talk show? And the guy who flipped out and killed his secret admirer for being a guy? You'd think TV studios would have more sense than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabukage View Post
    A transgender 7-year-old ? Parents work 100%, I just cant fathom it happening on its own.
    Yes, how dare they accept it instead of flipping their shit, trying to bully it out of her, and ending up with a daughter who hates them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    It would be shocking though if a club specifically for LGBT people did have something against bi or trans people, people joining that probably already feel that way going in so they wouldn't discriminate against anyone there.
    Hell...at least in the States, I think some of them are still called "gay/straight alliances," even though that makes them sound a helluva lot narrower than they actually are.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    That's PC bullshit. Sex = gender. Just because modern day agenda managed to establish a distinction, it doesn't mean it holds any water.?
    Uh, it actually holds plenty of water because it's clear that there is not a one-to-one relationship between sex and gender. Culture/society also clearly impacts gender norms and rituals (how a gender acts/behaves/dresses varies from region to region). And a quick history lesson shows us that gender norms change substantially over time. While it might have some genetic component, it's clear that it's not a static characteristic like your height, hair or skin colour, etc.

It's generally my experience that the people who insist that sex = gender just want an easy way of looking at the world while ignoring the obvious complexities that are there. It's more about "keeping people in their place" than anything else.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adio View Post
    I wish I remembered the lecture more. The point of the class was the study of nature vs nurture. Dr. Money, the doctor who told the parents to rasie him as a girl, wanted to prove that nurture was a more powerful force in personality than nature. At least in sexual identity. He was wrong. My proffesor said it had something to do with how much testosterone the fetus gets. For example, if a fetus gets enough testosterone, it becomes a boy and if it doesnt get any, its a girl. However there are cases where the fetus gets some testosterone but not enough, and is born a male with female tendanencies (for lack of a better word). I think that's still a theory, and I might be wrong on some of the wordings. I really wish i remembered more of it.

Now that I think about it, I do remember liking a girl in kindergarden. I was 5 so I guess I did have a concept of my "sexuality"
    Yep. There have been very few studies on "what makes a trangendered person", but yes hormones wash over the fetus, and sometimes the balance can be off (male fetus getting more Estrogen), thus "helping" to "make" someone trans. We had this discussion sometime ago, and someone called me on it. There are a few studies saying this "gene wash" wash the cause, but i don't feel like going into the thread and getting the links i posted.

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 11:13 AM ----------

For those of you curious about how a 7 year old knows they are trans... i knew at FIVE. It has NOTHING to do with sexual orientation, it has nothing to do with what's between your legs (though that is a serious cause of pain for us), it's what's between our ears. Our perceived gender vs our actual gender. People saying it's just a boy wishing to be a girl, that's wrong. It's a girl born in the wrong body, OR born with a terrible birth defect (which is how i classify myself). Noone can tell me i am a man who wishes to be a woman, i am perceived as woman, treated as a woman, they guys that have hit on me know i am a woman, even though i still have the same "stuff" as they do. My Drivers license had F on the sex entry. The state sees me as a woman legally. I am a woman, end. of. story.

It's amazing that in this country and other countries where people consider themselves "enlightened", progressive, and advanced, that people still HATE someone for something that doesn't effect them AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Adio View Post
    I remember that case from psych class. One of the twin boys did have his "genitals destroyed in a freak accident" by a doctor during circumcision. He was maybe one or two years old (if I remember correctly), and his parents raised him as a girl from the encouragement of a psychologist. He wanted to see if the boy who is rasied as a girl take on female roles/mentality. He/she did for a little bit, but that didn't last long. When "she" found out that "she" was a he, he took on the role of a male. And your right, he did commit suicide years later.

Sorry, got side tracked. On topic though, there has got to be more to the story of a 7 year old transgender. I'm not sure if a child that age could really want to change sexes.
    That is pretty cruel, it pretty much destroyed his identity and was raised at the convenience of others around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenion View Post
    That is pretty cruel, it pretty much destroyed his identity and was raised at the convenience of others around.
    If that happened to my child, i think i would give them gender neutral clothing, and possibly a gender neutral name (Jesse, Casey, etc) and let them develop the way they wish to.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    If that happened to my child, i think i would give them gender neutral clothing, and possibly a gender neutral name (Jesse, Casey, etc) and let them develop the way they wish to.
    I was reading that story about a week ago, and honestly it's just sad. Especially with how they treated the kid while trying to feminize him. The "doctor" had him and his twin brother basically naked in sex positions. It just sounded so horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I was reading that story about a week ago, and honestly it's just sad. Especially with how they treated the kid while trying to feminize him. The "doctor" had him and his twin brother basically naked in sex positions. It just sounded so horrible.
    omg that's awful! That "doctor" needs his medical license stripped.