Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well IMO swtor and rift weren't really hyped because we knew that nothing new was being brought to the table. Like what GW2 is doing is revolutionizing and refreshing the mmo genre and it's going to be very community based, I can't see how it can possibly fail. And if I am ever going to play a mmo from Blizzard again I hope they realize how fail cross realm dungeons etc. were and how it killed any community.. same with flying mounts and all that.. if titan is just WoW2.0 then I won't even bother.

Haha, I didn't buy Star Wars. I played my brothers account :d. I would have bought it if I had liked it, no doubt. And I'll have you know that I love Guild Wars lore. It's not Star Wars so why do you even compare?

You are very entertaining, but I'm afraid your raging drags down your value to this post.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-01-14 at 05:35 AM.

I hope it's fun, but if not no big deal. Just play another MMO.

I'm not sitting here raging about other people not agreeing with me on what games are fun to play and not.

Have fun being permabanned, friend. God knows you did your best to earn it :d.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-01-14 at 05:34 AM.

FYI guys, if you see a troll, don't respond to him. Don't insult him, don't even acknowledge him. Just report him and continue on, we'll take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    How can people say the people at Anet are being really honest when every little thing that comes from them sounds like it has been run through the hype machine about 10 times?
    I believe GW2 will be successful and fun because ArenaNet seem to be making this game with the love and attention it deserve, not only do they add what sounds right their also not afraid to make a great deal for changes if they feel it's not working out (the removal of energy, the changes to the eng mechanic, the changes to the ranger mechanic to name a few). Also I really don't see the hype everyone is talking about they just give an open look at what their development process is like and the reasoning behind whatever mechanic they make/add/reveal the only thing I can say they have hyped is the WvWvW (due to the lack of game play showing it).

IMO ArenaNet seems like that guy at school who would happily turn things in late, but the teacher would have a hard time giving their work an lower grade because of the quality of the work put in :P

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    FYI guys, if you see a troll, don't respond to him. Don't insult him, don't even acknowledge him. Just report him and continue on, we'll take care of it.
    your will is law :P
    /bow
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-14 at 05:39 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Well, now that that's over with...

People just overestimated what SW:TOR was going to mean. It will have a dedicated following, but at it's core it's a poorly performing (physically, control/graphic issues) wow clone in space, with voice acting and an attempt at character development. Anybody that thought it was going to be some sort of generational leap was sadly misinformed. Unfortunately, many people are sadly misinformed...

Some true generational leap will come, but none of the current crop are even close. GW:2 looks promising, but it's not here yet. SW:TOR didn't even try to be the next generation, they just tried to add their own polish to this one. That is not a bad thing, but if your are done with this generation, you are done. If you have found a home in this generation, your likely to stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by sulmithagreyse View Post
    if you like mass effect, witcher, etc, you'll love swtor
    Except for Swtor you have to pay a monthly sub, which turns many of the gamers (console gamers) away from it, because they are used to dropping a flat 60 bucks for a game and buying a little DLC that comes out. They dont want to pay 15 a month. And I don't blame them.

In any case, SWTOR was not a fail, nor was RIFT. Quite the opposite in fact. They both made pretty crucial changes to the MMO market. RIFT with the rifts that open up across the world and start a random "quest" (before anyone says OH LOL GO PLAY WARHAMMER NOOB. I did. Public quests are nothing like rifts, then then you get loot from then and you have a score.)

SWTOR really changed how story can be delivered. That's about all for that one.

GW2 will change out we pay for MMO's. It is very unlikely to see many more Pay to play MMO's in the future with the exception of maybe Secret World, and if it does that, I'm off the band wago. Done with Pay 2 Play.

I'm waiting for TERA (:

I really like the combat system looks sick True action combat <3

Quote Originally Posted by FiXThEPiEcEs View Post
    I'm waiting for TERA (:

I really like the combat system looks sick True action combat <3
    That's the one I've been watching, but GW:2 has been catching my eye a lot more.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    Some true generational leap will come, but none of the current crop are even close. GW:2 looks promising, but it's not here yet. SW:TOR didn't even try to be the next generation, they just tried to add their own polish to this one. That is not a bad thing, but if your are done with this generation, you are done. If you have found a home in this generation, your likely to stay there.
    Fairly truthful. Was listening to a gaming podcast a while ago; the subject of player and fanbase critique came up in contrast to professional critique. What made that tidbit interesting was a point one of the hosts made that a lot of fan and player [negative] reaction is based on games simply not living up to their personal expectation.

Which if we look at various gaming forums and blogs, sorta bears a good deal of truth.

Not that I am saying one is discounted in their opinion of a game. But it's rather tough to get any kind of real thoughtfulness out of gaming on it because it simply becomes; "SWTOR SUX" because they didn't like the way Bounty Hunter's holster their pistol.

What we see a lot of, as the OP stated himself, is a lot of misplaced expectation at best. Or blatant ignorance at worse.

"If GW2 isn't good..." sorry, I don't comprehend and/or can't take seriously the initial condition. Is it possible for GW2 to not be good? It's possible that it won't get you laid, yeah. It's also possible it won't get you a partnership in a Beltway law firm. But not being 'good' is clearly outside the realm of the possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoitachi View Post
    Well... Titan will be a MMO-shoot'em'up, it's not like any of the general MMO-RPG, but a fresh story/gameplay/design would be refreshing...
    Don't fill the forums with false facts. THERE IS NO INFORMATION ON TITAN OTHER THAN IT BEING AN MMO. Never have we heard it will be part FPS or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fairly truthful. Was listening to a gaming podcast a while ago; the subject of player and fanbase critique came up in contrast to professional critique. What made that tidbit interesting was a point one of the hosts made that a lot of fan and player [negative] reaction is based on games simply not living up to their personal expectation.

Which if we look at various gaming forums and blogs, sorta bears a good deal of truth.

Not that I am saying one is discounted in their opinion of a game. But it's rather tough to get any kind of real thoughtfulness out of gaming on it because it simply becomes; "SWTOR SUX" because they didn't like the way Bounty Hunter's holster their pistol.

What we see a lot of, as the OP stated himself, is a lot of misplaced expectation at best. Or blatant ignorance at worse.
    What podcast Was this? I'd love to hear it
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

feedback /10chars

rift has not failed wtf are you talking about? and swtor has not failed

people just get to hyped about change and they raise their expectations so high NO game no matter how perfect can meet its expectations =/

Frankly I'll be pretty shocked if GW:2 doesn't floor me. I went into SW:ToR with apprehension, and the game very quickly lost its appeal, despite what I consider the best NPC quest interface in any MMO to date. Rift also failed to keep my attention, partially because of how slow everything felt.

TERA does look interesting.

So does Firefall, though it has more FPS than MMO going on: http://www.firefallthegame.com/media

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is a general misconeption about what deems an mmo a failure as well on the forums and in general. I don't want to go off topic, but I think a lot of people are misconstruing that when some people mean "an mmo failed" they think that we mean the business model failed and that the game is also a complete and utter failure. But in actuallity we mean something different.

Wat I personally see as a failure for an mmo is an mmo that tries to adopt the WoW model of marketing and playstyle and expecting to be as successful if not more successful than WoW, in other words, MMO's designed to be "WoW killers".

This is one of the things I wanted to clarify with you Fencers, as I feel we are on the same page, but we are misinterpreting our messages. Whenever I say "an mmo that failed" I am not by any means saying the game is dead and buried. I'm trying to say the games general goal was to be as profitable and successful as WoW, but failed to meet its goal after launch. These mmos of course have their subscriberbase and by al means are successful as games go, its just I consider them failures because the developers did not meet their goal of obtaining the amount of success they were striving for.

I hope I was able to clear that up, sorry if I made it sound even worse ><

GW2 will be interesting, just like SWTOR was, but it's still an MMORPG. I'm amazed at all of the people who walk into an MMORPG and expect it to be something else. I might try GW2 briefly, but I doubt I'll stay as I've grown majorly sick of the questing experience (especially after being spoiled by Bioware in SWTOR) and other grinds associated with MMORPGs.

This was posted by a guy over at mmorpg.com and I thought it really captured the reality of the whole expectation thing:

When I played the game there was that initial disappointment of 'OMG it's just a game!' (yes I had hyped myself up that much lol), but then came this natural slide in to a world so accessible that I forgot about all the innovations and steps forward that this game offers, I was lost in the joy of gaming which is exactly what a game should do. Everything about it flowed so naturally, when they said 'If you hate MMO's you'll love GW2' they were absolutely right, no matter what your gaming background GW2 presents itself so brilliantly that you adjust and enjoy what it offers within minutes. It was the best starter experience of any game I've ever played. That one switch from chasing quest givers to just getting involved in whatever is happening around you immediately brings the world to life in a way I haven't seen in any other multiplayer title.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../337947/page/1