Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Losing weight is a slow process. Especially if you are trying to lose 1/3 of your entire body. Eat regular small meals, high in protein low in fat and carbs until you are upping your cardio then you can add some more carbs back into your diet. 1800 is an unreasonable amount at your body weight, if you were to eat 2500/day at 310lbs you would be in your weight loss zone.
    Lifting weights in the gym is fine but try to do cardio everyday. I find high intensity interval training to be the best for calorie burn, but you need to be in great shape to begin it. MY 2000 calorie/day diet is something like this:

9am- 4 egg whites/piece of toast/protein shake
    12pm - 6inch subway club double meat no cheese or sauce
    3pm - another sixer of the same
    7pm - 2 chicken breasts/cup of rice/serving of vegetables
    And another protein shake after I work out at some point during the day.

It is nice and balanced and a decent amount of calories. A great site for tracking your diet is http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ but basically just be active every day for an hour or so. And active doesnt mean just walking to school, get that heart rate up so you are actually working, gl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    Well it depends on what you want, I would say stop lifting to get the best out of both.

Let me explain, if you want to build muscle you need to eat enough calories to build muscle but not so much that you gain fat. Now you could continue lifting while eating less but it has a little problem, your body gets used to lifting over time so even if you don't eat correctly and continue to lift it will be harder for you to gain muscle later on if that is what you want. For example though if it is your first year ever lifting it is possible for a male to gain 25 pounds of muscle in one year IF you are doing everything correctly and assuming you do not have the genes for muscle building. Each year you weight lift the number of pounds you can gain decreases regardless of how much muscle you did or did not gain.

I would suggest start by eating less and going for hour jogs/bike rides everyday. Sure you could just start a diet but the problem with starting a diet is that they are harder to stick to because you completely change your everyday habits and it makes it really hard on you and easier to quit. I would suggest take out a few items at a time, for instance stop drinking soda and quit eating between meals while continuing to run / ride a bike every day. After you become used to not having those select items out of your daily life remove something else and eventually replace the food you have with healthier foods.

I have lost 90 pounds in a short amount of time by this method and I believe it is the easiest way to stick to a healthier life style than just straight up changing everything all at once.
    I'm sorry man, I'm no expert but I do know you would be hard pressed to find any real trainer who tells you to stop lifting in order to lose fat... I appreciate the weight you've been able to lose but you really couldn't be more wrong on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I'm sorry man, I'm no expert but I do know you would be hard pressed to find any real trainer who tells you to stop lifting in order to lose fat... I appreciate the weight you've been able to lose but you really couldn't be more wrong on this subject.
    Quite a few people in here that are just THAT far off. I can't believe the things they're telling this guy, it's as if they believe you can only lose weight through cardio exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarohk View Post
    I've been doing a combination of p90x and insanity. Insanity for the cardio workouts and p90x for the muscle building. Thus far, I have lost 65 lbs since June. As for a diet, eat 5-6 times a day (Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, snack); spread the meals out by 2 hours. Keep the meals smaller too. Also make sure to cut yourself off from fast food and soda, if you still eat/drink them; having them once in a long while won't kill you though. And the rest is basically common knowledge, change snacks from potato chips or what ever to veggies and fruits, use whole wheat bread with sammiches, nuts are good too, and so on. Most of the info you can easily find online for free. You'll also want an after workout meal, something with protein, so you could make a tuna sammich/omelet with some vegetables and fruits, and for a drink you could have a whey protein shake or even chocolate milk. If you're doing cardio you'll want to eat carbohydrates an hour or two before the workout, and if you're weight lifting you want to eat carbohydrates and protein previous to workout. Minimize fatty food all day errday. That's pretty much everything I have done to lose my weight and build muscles. Make sure to drink a lot of water and it really helps to find an inspiration to lose weight. My family is eating healthier because of me, my dad has stopped smoking, and my mom has started walking around the block during her breaks at work. You can affect others just through what you do. Keep up the workouts and you'll be dropping weight in no time.

Edit: All of this cost no more money than I spent previously. Just change what you're buying. I'm sure, you being an internet user, you can find a way to get p90x and insanity online. Use all of your resources . You can do it, bro.
    Pretty much this. Whoever said dont focus on weights is plain outright dumb and most likely an overweight person. The difference between cardio and weight training is this. Cardio burns calories WHILE you do it, while weight training burns calories WHILE doing it and UP TO 48 HOURS later. When you lift weights you basically shred the muscle fibers in your muscles and your body then goes into recovery mode for 24-48 hours. During recovery mode you're burning calories as your body is repairing the muscle fibers. With that said, just because you lift weights doesnt mean you have to get jacked. There are plenty of ways to lift weights and if you want more of a lean muscle, but toned go with lighter weights and do more reps. IF you want a more jacked look lift heavier weights at less reps including a max out rep(1 rep of the absolute heaviest you can lift with a spotter on certain exercises. However DO NOT go into a gym and just do cardio weight training is essential to losing weight. Also having a lower fat % / higher muscle % helps speed up your metabolism as well.

Deleted
    When you reach for the snacks drink a glass of water
    When you do some exercise drink some water
    When you get up drink some water, drink some before bed

People often underestimate the value of water, it's important when building muscle and losing fat as it's actually needed to by the liver in the process of breaking down fat and by cells when synthesising proteins. Without it you'll just damage your body and struggle to lose weight.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    all in all it boils down to calories in vs calories out. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubity View Post
    all in all it boils down to calories in vs calories out. No?
    Close enough for most people, but actually too simplified for reality. E.g., there's decent evidence mounting that many (all?) of the artificial sweeteners cause the body to manage other calorie intake differently.

I think until you're quite lean, though, in vs. out is accurate enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have diabetes, I'd say ketogenic diet and HIIT cardio. Although I would recommend consulting with a doctor in case you could have an underlying condition that would make such a suggestion harmful to you.

The one thing most people don't realize is that in a vast majority of cases, it's not eating fat that gets you fat; it's eating too much carbs without enough physical activity to compensate for it. After a while, unused carbs get transformed into fat acids, and you can guess where this leads to.

As such, the soda you drink can be far more damaging than the burger you order it with, if you don't spend a lot of energy on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    Pretty much this. Whoever said dont focus on weights is plain outright dumb and most likely an overweight person. The difference between cardio and weight training is this. Cardio burns calories WHILE you do it, while weight training burns calories WHILE doing it and UP TO 48 HOURS later. When you lift weights you basically shred the muscle fibers in your muscles and your body then goes into recovery mode for 24-48 hours. During recovery mode you're burning calories as your body is repairing the muscle fibers. With that said, just because you lift weights doesnt mean you have to get jacked. There are plenty of ways to lift weights and if you want more of a lean muscle, but toned go with lighter weights and do more reps. IF you want a more jacked look lift heavier weights at less reps including a max out rep(1 rep of the absolute heaviest you can lift with a spotter on certain exercises. However DO NOT go into a gym and just do cardio weight training is essential to losing weight. Also having a lower fat % / higher muscle % helps speed up your metabolism as well.
    I think another aspect is just the raw lean mass vs. fat ratio. If you're actually dieting (say, a 1.5 lb/week calorie deficit, all things included), you're going to have to lift to simply maintain the existing muscle. If you don't do any weight training at all, you'll lose "weight" faster for awhile, until your muscle mass normalizes to whatever your activity level is. Cardio doesn't create muscle bulk (well, the legs do OK with it).

However, once you reach that point, the weight loss will almost plateau, even with the same calorie deficit, because your BMR has plummeted from the loss in muscle mass. Numbers I've seen for this sort of approach (IIRC) show around 50% (+-10%) of the weight loss is in lean mass, which is a huge amount of calorie burn being thrown out.

So, I absolutely vote for lifting, but I wouldn't try to actually bulk or even build strength (unless you started out fairly weak).

Asking for advise in forums will not help you much specially when ppl tell you about work outs and diets.
    All I can tell you is this. It will not be easy, and that's a fact. If you are not 100% convince that you need to do something about your weight problem then there will not be any amount of diet nor exercise that will help you.

I've never done something as big as a 130 lbs weight loss program but i will tell you a few pointers to help you find a better way.
    1. Every one is different your body is as unique as your finger prints; not all diets will work for you nor exercise. For that you need professional help, fine a nutritionist close to you (make sure to have reference, most local gums should be able to point you in the right direction) then get a personal trainer. These will cost you a pretty penny but it will save you in time and frustration.
    2. I always recommend to start slow specially with diets. Don't change they way you it at the start introduce your new diet in the course of 4 to 8 weeks. This will help you stick with it in the long term.
    3. Try to divide your work out into parts at least until you can do it all at once. 30min in the morning 30min at noon and 30min in the afternoon (time given will depend on your trainer)
    Last 4. Don't weight yourself in a daily base pick one day a week and stick with that. Reason is that you will have some days that you keep more water weight than others this small fact will make you frustrated because some days you'll see -2 lbs and then the next +2.5 lbs.

I hope this help anyone that reads it. Also make better choices if you play wow for 5hours a day then cut it to 3 and use 2 hours to take a walk, play w/ the dog clean the house, etc try increasing the "active" activities

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noetical View Post
    When you reach for the snacks drink a glass of water
    When you do some exercise drink some water
    When you get up drink some water, drink some before bed

People often underestimate the value of water, it's important when building muscle and losing fat as it's actually needed to by the liver in the process of breaking down fat and by cells when synthesising proteins. Without it you'll just damage your body and struggle to lose weight.
    This is a good tip. If you don't drink enough your body starts to store water because it will prepare for a "dry period". I think it's a well known hint to drink at least 2 litres of water a day.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    I think another aspect is just the raw lean mass vs. fat ratio. If you're actually dieting (say, a 1.5 lb/week calorie deficit, all things included), you're going to have to lift to simply maintain the existing muscle. If you don't do any weight training at all, you'll lose "weight" faster for awhile, until your muscle mass normalizes to whatever your activity level is. Cardio doesn't create muscle bulk (well, the legs do OK with it).

However, once you reach that point, the weight loss will almost plateau, even with the same calorie deficit, because your BMR has plummeted from the loss in muscle mass. Numbers I've seen for this sort of approach (IIRC) show around 50% (+-10%) of the weight loss is in lean mass, which is a huge amount of calorie burn being thrown out.

So, I absolutely vote for lifting, but I wouldn't try to actually bulk or even build strength (unless you started out fairly weak).
    I absolutely agree with the statement that is bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    Quite a few people in here that are just THAT far off. I can't believe the things they're telling this guy, it's as if they believe you can only lose weight through cardio exercises.
    *sigh* I did not say you can't lose weight from lifting, its just not ideal if you want to optimize your results. However it is a scientific fact that the human body can NOT burn fat and build muscle at the same time it just requires too much energy for your body to do both at the same time UNLESS you have great genetics for it. Please don't try and say I said something that I did not.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ng-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...muscle-qa.html

The first article talks about losing fat while gaining muscle, the second talks about basics of calories and how they act differently depending on the person, and the last one shows how gaining muscle does not reduce your body fat percentage by much and that if you gain muscle you will gain fat (which the OP does NOT want to do) and if you lose fat you will also lose some muscle.

Now I do understand that having more muscle means you will burn more calories but the point of my post was to show that you need to decide what is more important to you, gaining muscle or losing weight. Also if you have the muscle and burn more calories and want to keep that muscle than you have to be eating enough calories that you are not burning fat. If the OP has really good genes then he doesn't need to worry about anything I said.

I shouldn't say it's impossible to gain muscle and lose fat but it is very tricky. I also talked to a friend who is kinesiologist and a personal trainer who has researched the human body and has up to date information and says this is correct, so please don't assume someone has no idea what they are talking about.

Also I apologize for assuming that someone who is weight lifting wants to gain muscle, You can lose a lot of fat by lifting if you are not concerned with gaining any muscle at all. I hope I made myself a little more clear and informed people that are wishing to gain muscle but have not had any success.

I will not be posting in this thread again so if you have any questions you want addressed or any arguments against anything I said feel free to send me a private message, I will happily discuss the subject with you. Also good luck OP I know you can do it just don't give up
    Last edited by worprz; 2012-01-25 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrablk94 View Post
    I would suggest the diet I am on, and my girlfriends family has done and had great success. I am on a low carb diet. I would definitely find a doctor who offers this diet plan because it is amazing. For 3-4 days you decarb. Which means no carbs unless it comes from meat. So in turn you really only eat steak, chicken , burgers (without bun or cheese of any kind). I lost 10lbs in my first 4 days. After the decarb process, you got o a calorie and carb restricted diet. You will eat under 20 carbs a day, and have a calorie count of somewhere between 900-1200 calories a day. The doctor will often give you Vitamin B-12 shots and a appetite suppressant. This diet did miracles because in 8months my girlfriends sister lost 90 lbs. My girlfriends dad lost 80 lbs in a bout 90. I am current 270, I have lost 30lbs since starting about a month ago, and I can see the difference. The diet is hard because of temptations, and you CANNOT cheat on it. If you do you ruin the decarb process and have to re-decarb for 4 more days. I would definitely recommend looking into this diet! Good luck and if you need any moral support I'll be here on these forums. I know how hard losing weight can be, and how much it means to yourself to do this! Good luck!
    Whatever you do do not do a lowcarb diet unless you plan to stay on that diet for the rest of your life. My girlfriends mother is on a low carb diet and if she eats a piece of bread or a bowl of pasta she gain 3-4 pounds. ALWAYS consult a dietary physician before choosing a diet. NEVER follow those TV diets like atkins.

calories in vs calories out

lift heavy and take a multi brah.

or take superdrol.