Deleted

SW:TOR, the perfect tool for psychological profile.

Just think about it.
    All the choices you make during the gameplay - if those are being recorder, it would be the perfect tool for psychological profiles.

Also, it's a known fact that a lot of games are already being quietly used for that. SW:TOR? Perfect.

Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by h4x141 View Post
    Just think about it.
    All the choices you make during the gameplay - if those are being recorder, it would be the perfect tool for psychological profiles.

Also, it's a known fact that a lot of games are already being quietly used for that. SW:TOR? Perfect.

Discuss!
    You would have to tell people to treat it that way going in, too many people decide this toon will be a dick! and spam 3,3,3,3,3,3

Deleted
    And many people decide that their character is gonna be a wicked, evil dude. So they select the most wicked, evil responses. Profile much?

Just think about it.

Discuss!
    The problem is that people RP in this MMORPG. I have characters that are good, evil, neutral, etc. None of THEIR choices have any relevance to MY personality.

As the above posters have said, RP'ing is the problem. I for one RP my character to be fairly similar to how i might be in that situation, but very, very loyal to the Empire, and a little more sardonic, sarcastic, and unforgiving of failure. Still light side though.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

No. This is a story driven video role playing game, where you are asked and REWARDED to portray either hardcore good, or full out evil. There are light and dark side rewards. There is no in game incentive to RP the middle man.

You would also generally want more subtle choices for psychological profiling then kill or not to kill.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-14 at 05:12 PM.

Deleted
    This is a game. We do whatever we WANT, but that dosent reflect on what we would do IRL.

If someone is making me angry, i wont opt to shoot him.

Umm, i mean, really? How could you even think about it? Cmon now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. I pick choices based not what I would do, but what I think my character would do. That's a huge difference and pretty much makes the data worthless.

Deleted
    If you want to get psychological information out of the way somebody plays a video game, you need to look at the way they play a video game. I suspect there's a lot more to be learned from whether somebody spacebars through conversations, or how quickly they level, or pretty much anything else, than from whether they take LS or DS choices.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently playing my first, and only character. An Imp. Agent. Operative.

And i'm currently light. (Oh my god!)

In many quests, i choose the answer that fits me, as a person. I find it immersive, and fun! My next characters will probably be "preset" though. Where i will make choices based on the character, not me.

Not at all. My decisions are based on what I believe my characters would do. Unless they want a psychological profile on how terribly cruel my Bounty Hunter/Sith Warrior can be, or how perfectly lawful my Jedi Knight can be, they're not going to get very accurate results.

There are also the rewards given for being full light side, or full dark side, that will encourage players to simply choose those options for the sake of items.

Deleted
    Psychological profiles are more often sheer nonsense than not. Even the MBTI, used by many organizations as a personality typology, has horrible validity and reliability.

So no: Analyzing choice sets in this game would not be a good base for developing 'psychological profiles', whatever the hell that might mean. Personality? Intelligence? Values? Information processing?

I'll say it kindly: If you don't know anything about psychology apart from what newspapers and magazines call psychology, I suggest you forget about it.
    Any psychologist who uses these kind of situations for an honest assessment of a certain facet of an individual his psyche, should get his license revoked. They are the astrologists to our astronomy.

Fyi: I'm an M.Sc. in Industrial & Organizational Psychology from a Belgian university.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2012-01-14 at 05:58 PM.

In the first KOTOR, this would have worked well for me because I felt stupid picking other choices aside from what I would have personally chosen. I was a lot younger then. Now I pick what I want character to be like and I go with all options that suit the personality that I made up.

For example, I have a Bounty Hunter that all he cares about is himself and money -- Especially easy money. So whatever benefits him the most is what he does. Such as having the option to kill a target or bring it in alive. If it decides to be a pain in his butt, the target is dead.

On the flip side, I have an Imperial Agent that is a reasonable, understanding guy. While he is deceptive and still looks out for himself, if he has a reasonable measure of helping benefit others, he'll take it. For example, helping out a guy who would have his family killed by his boss if my agent did what he was doing without a change in plans.