Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Your Iphone was probably made with barely paid for child labor

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45988522...s-us_business/

Tsk tsk, lets all beat on Microsoft, while Apple has been doing this for years apparently (repeat offenders; keep doing buisness with them their prices are cheap!)

Deleted
    Are you telling that if I hadn't bought my iphone those kids would have starved to death? I feel so much better now

The people working in these factories usually get paid more than the typical paycheck for the region. In some parts of the world you can live a month perfectly fine with $50.

Who cares? I got my phone. I'm all for child/cheap labor in under developed countries if it makes everyone elses' life better around the world. If they don't like it, they're welcome to not have a job at all.

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The people working in these factories usually get paid more than the typical paycheck for the region.
    Yeah, but the media and such don't point a spotlight on that because then the corporations they're trying to bash aren't seen negatively.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Your Iphone was probably made with barely paid for child labor
    I doubt that there are many people who did NOT know that before buying their iPhone, so...what's your point?

It's been well-known that Apple produce things as cheap as possible from multiple companies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    Who cares? I got my phone. I'm all for child/cheap labor in under developed countries if it makes everyone elses' life better around the world. If they don't like it, they're welcome to not have a job at all.
    Yeah you get your iphone so some poor kid can get a small meal for the day or week. You think its good that Children are working instead of being a ordinary child?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggasson View Post
    Yeah you get your iphone so some poor kid can get a small meal for the day or week. You think its good that Children are working instead of being a ordinary child?
    That's how the life is over there - don't apply western life and logic to theirs. And as stated above, typically, these people are making more money than they would working elsewhere in their country. Yeah, it sucks a kid has to work? But who gives a fuck, I got my angry birds machine, they got rent/food/etc, everyone is happy.

And before you get even more bleeding heart on me, there are COUNTLESS people in your own neighborhood, town, county, state, region, country, etc that need help. Focus on the problems at home before we send more money/help elsewhere. I know people in my town that are homeless, can't get jobs because of that fact, are starving, etc. They would, in a heart beat, murder these kids and bathe in their blood and fuck their still warm bodies to be given what they have.
    Last edited by Corysi; 2012-01-14 at 07:01 PM.
    I don't care if WoW steals ideas from another game. I just wish they'd steal aoe looting.

Important to note that Apple does not actually 'own' these manufacturers from the way I understand this works. They are more or less contracted.
    I remember it all too well

Did you really think globalism was an attempt to give everyone equal footing? Silly goose, it's to find new resources to exploit.

And once China establishes itself more, and workers across the board start demanding better wages and working conditions, it will be onto the next country / region. This is how capitalism works.

And after China gets more richer this will move to Africa

---------- Post added 2012-01-14 at 01:53 PM ----------

Yeah, but the media and such don't point a spotlight on that because then the corporations they're trying to bash aren't seen negatively.
    It is NOT normal for kids to be working in electronics factories. You completely make up "oh they get paid MORE!!!! then the usual paycheck" with no source, sounding like you made it up on the spot to make yourself feel better.

I hope you enjoy selling your soul for a cell phone. A cell phone that the apple zombie virus inside you will force you to upgrade every six months to stay "cool"

You think its good that Children are working instead of being a ordinary child?
    If you're an optimist, that IS ordinary where they are. If you're a pessimist, they'd either be starving jobless on the street, or doing much ... worse... things for lesser pay.

Deleted
    That's how the life is over there - don't apply western life and logic to theirs. And as stated above, typically, these people are making more money than they would working elsewhere in their country. Yeah, it sucks a kid has to work? But who gives a fuck, I got my angry birds machine, they got rent/food/etc, everyone is happy.

And before you get even more bleeding heart on me, there are COUNTLESS people in your own neighborhood, town, county, state, region, country, etc that need help. Focus on the problems at home before we send more money/help elsewhere. I know people in my town that are homeless, can't get jobs because of that fact, are starving, etc. They would, in a heart beat, murder these kids and bathe in their blood and fuck their still warm bodies to be given what they have.
    Are you serious?

10+ Year Old Account
    You think it's bad that children are working for low pay instead of doing nothing and starving/having no shelter?

It is NOT normal for kids to be working in electronics factories. You completely make up "oh they get paid MORE!!!! then the usual paycheck" with no source, sounding like you made it up on the spot to make yourself feel better.

I hope you enjoy selling your soul for a cell phone. A cell phone that the apple zombie virus inside you will force you to upgrade every six months to stay "cool"
    Well shit, if you're going to use that rationale then it's probably wise not to use just about anything. Living off the land is really the only way you're going to escape using products that weren't created with child labor. At least with iPhone parts the kids involved in making them are compensated better.

Deleted
    Child labour is generally seen as a very bad thing and I would never see it as a good thing as children should play and learn instead of working, but in many cases a family can only survive by letting their children work, else they die from hunger.

Boycotting child labour products or making it illegal wont solve the problem, it will only make the problem worse.

I'll just say I am glad to have a Droid phone. After seeing the latest iPhone, and all before it, I will never want one.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

Then almost everyone in the western world has sold their soul then... Apple isn't the only one who does this.

Outsourced labour. Not anything to do with Apple, not to mention that at least these people are earning money.