Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    By in large, theme park, hotkey MMOs are mostly the same in gameplay. If you are sick of that style of MMO-- play another type of game.
    Thank you x 1 million. This needs to be a sticky. The genre is what it is. The people complaining about questing in SWTOR are the same people that complained about the updated quest system in Cataclysm and Lich King. Picking up 10 bear asses for the guy back in town is the nature of the beast, folks. If it bored you in WoW, it will bore you here, and it will bore you in every MMO of this type until the end of time.

Think about it, if you've ever played an RPG
    You have no idea how funny that is btw. And to answer the question, text all the way because resources are finite and I'd rather see the money spent on more/better writers instead of voiceover studios.
    Last edited by abijax; 2012-01-15 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    You have no idea how funny that is btw. And to answer the question, text all the way because resources are finite and I'd rather see the money spent on voice over studios spent on more/better writers.
    Well you're welcome to play some MUD from the 80s...

Deleted
    no way they were different, but thats a genre problem not a swtor

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Good thing you have an impressive knowledge of the RPG genre and went from text as a way to deliver story to text as a way to deliver gameplay. Nothing good happened in between...
    But you made sure to act all patronizing with "if you've ever played an RPG" just to establish some obvious ground rules.

Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    Good thing you have an impressive knowledge of the RPG genre and went from text as a way to deliver story to text as a way to deliver gameplay. Nothing good happened in between...
    But you made sure to act all patronizing with "if you've ever played an RPG" just to establish some obvious ground rules.
    You're being offended when no offense from me was given.

At least that's what I'm getting from your attitude anyway.

You're being offended when no offense from me was given.

At least that's what I'm getting from your attitude anyway.
    Really? You insulted his opinion that he likes text by bring up MUD as the only type of game he would enjoy. There are plenty of good RPGs but you decided on that game, which shows you are just talking to talk, instead of actually bringing anything constructive to the argument.

Even though I love voice acting I also like text, just not the way WoW did it. I believe there are better ways to spend those resources but since western RPGs are moving in this direction (mainly because of BioWare anyway) I can see why TOR went with it.

Who says it's going to be innovative? I wasn't particularly looking for an innovative game, I was just looking for something different. SWTOR is different from WOW so I am enjoying it.

The world story arc quests are actually pretty similar to wow quests. You go to this place and kill some mobs or pick up some items etc while working on your class story. Who cares? The combat is fun and challenging enough compared to WOW that I still enjoyed it.

Reading doesn't invoke the same emotional response as actually hearing it.

And most people, including me, stopped reading the three paragraphs of text for every quest after the first few hours. It just gets tedious. I'm going to go make a poll in general on this topic, actually.

Think about it, if you've ever played an RPG, would you rather have it in an almost essay type format with text, or voice acting? And besides, you still CAN read the subtitles and mute the voices if you for some reason hate it, or space through it.
    Reading can most certainly evoke the the same if not more emotional response than hearing it. It all depends on the content therein. And a bad voice actor can ruin the emotional impact of a line, whereas you should never encounter that when reading the dialogue yourself.

This is, as far as I know, one of the reasons many people prefer to watch foreign film with subtitles vice dub. It's not necessarily that that much is lost when reading it vice listening, but that the quality of the voice over is so often sub par and detracts from the film.

I actually miss the days of non-voiceover'd RPG's, mainly because at that same time RPGs lost the ability to name characters. It's a minor thing but I enjoyed being able to name the characters in RPGs and make them my own, as well as decide for myself how they sounded. Not saying every game needs to be that way, and often I imagine a game director would not want their vision of the game tainted by my own musings on the characters.

And having everyone refer to my character as Hawke, when I decided his name was Rude doesn't quite fit the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny that many of the RPGs that are widely considered as "best of the best" are without any voiceover. The story matters, and whether it is voiced or not, is completely irrelevant.

You're damn right it doesn't. I know I've never thought "Good God this actor sucks" while I was reading something.

Deleted
    I really think that you need to be a star wars fan and really like the whole star wars consept to be able to enjoy the questing.
    I mean, I'm a hardcore star wars fan and I'm loving the quests, the class quests is really epic and all the other quests evolves around your class quests in a way that makes it feel really awesome.
    So if you're not a star wars fan I don't think that you shuld like unsub wow for this game if you're not really bored of wow, just my thought of it all atleast.

And most people, including me, stopped reading the three paragraphs of text for every quest after the first few hours. It just gets tedious. I'm going to go make a poll in general on this topic, actually.

Think about it, if you've ever played an RPG, would you rather have it in an almost essay type format with text, or voice acting? And besides, you still CAN read the subtitles and mute the voices if you for some reason hate it, or space through it.
    #

You seem to be under the impression the only option is voice acting or multiple paragraphs of text. There is stuff in between of those extremes.

Deleted
    A million authors just rolled over in their graves

Almost all quests are either kill 10 of X, Gather 5 of X or Destroy 10 of X

I am really dissapointed that there is no vehicle combat quests or almost anything new. Its the same old quests you've seen in other mmo gmaes since before the bow and arrow

Deleted
    If you're burned out on wow and its questing,

Maybe try out something that isnt a Retro/old designed mmo for a while then come back and play swtor with fresh desire to play these types of games.

Yeah take a break from mmo's and then check it out.
    Last edited by mmoc21829a8d84; 2012-01-15 at 03:41 PM. Reason: edited out comparison as not to upset folks

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Almost all quests are either kill 10 of X, Gather 5 of X or Destroy 10 of X
    Pretty much this masked in voice-acted story.

Might just be me but aside from Kaliyo's companion quests I'm noticing barely any humor.

The good thing is, if you find a quest tedious, you can generally say something pretty nasty to the NPC when you get back. It makes me feel better.

I generally find the Class quest, the central faction quest and the multi-part bonus quests to be the most fun ones. Most of the rest you kind of deal with on the way to those anyway. On my alt I know which ones I really can't be arsed with and skip them. I'll do a couple of space missions instead and still be ahead of the needed level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I am really dissapointed that there is no vehicle combat quests or almost anything new. Its the same old quests you've seen in other mmo gmaes since before the bow and arrow
    So yeah, maybe you should head to your space ship and check out the space combat quest log... there's quite alot of quests there and they're kind of innovative aswell, just a quick tip..

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Malphaz View Post
    If you're burned out on wow and its questing,

Maybe try out something that isnt a Retro/old designed mmo for a while then come back and play swtor with fresh desire to play these types of games.

Yeah take a break from mmo's and then check it out.
    Probably what i'm gonna do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com