Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Yes it is doable. You have to start out slow though, running can be very injury prone though, as you become adult and your body isn't use to it, if you really want to do it you have to start out slow.
    Start out by walking 10mins 3 times a week
    2-3 weeks later: walk/running 10mins 3 times a week
    2-3 weeks later: walk/running for 15mins 3 times a week
    2-3 weeks later: walk/running for 20mins 3 times a week
    2-3 weeks later: running for 15mins 3 times a week
    2-3 weeks later: running for 20mins 3 times a week

After each walk/run you should do some strecthing excersises aswell. You can do a full leg streching routine in about 5mins after each session.

I didn't read all of the above posts, so sorry if this has already been said.
    Swimming is good, since it puts no stress on your joints. Also the fact that it takes some of your weight of will allow you to keep at it for longer stretches, increasing your burn.
    Once you've lost some weight you should be able to go jog without your joints hurting.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-01-15 at 11:34 AM.

Deleted
    All I can say is keep at it and don't be discouraged by a bit of pain. If things become really bad then you can get knee supporters and such. You're doing the right thing by walking first, you could also try incorporating some very light weight workouts to help your musckes on the way to building. A weight stack with some 1kg, 2kg and 3kg weights is around 18 quid here, so it'll only cost you about 15$ I'd expect. Gaining muscle mass helps to lose weight as muscles need more calories to maintain than fat does so if you eat at a calorie deficit your muscles will oxidise some of the fat for energy.

I'd suggest you check out a calorie calculator (just Google it) to work out your maintenance calories and then take 500 or so from that to lose weight at a healthy pace.

Deleted
    You should try Nordic Walking, it's very popular in my city and if done right, is a very good exercise.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you start excercising after a significant period of rest, it's normal that your muscles will hurt for a day or two; they arn't used to being used. It stop happening after a day or two.

EDIT: Please tell me the above video is a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Well, I'll comment on the walking part. It does get better, not to mention that what you're doing is a great way to lose weight. If possible I would suggest getting a hearth pounding meter (sorry really don't know the english name for it ). Your hearthbeat should be between 160-180, if you go over that you should stop and rest, if you are below it you should start jogging if possible. You'll still get painful muscles but not too bad really. It's hard in the beginning but if you try doing the jogging art for like an hour atleast 3 times a week (more is always good ofcourse) you should start seeing a big difference after a while. The point of doing it like this is that you should be able to jog or run 30 minutes or something eventually, it might take a while though.

What you shouldn't do at all is your current walking, since you had really painful knees and stuff you were probably overexhausting yourself. This doesn't help your condition one bit and will only cause more harm to your body.

Other then the walking you can do sit ups or push ups. Sit ups are ofcourse the easiest, push ups might be hard for you atm but try setting a goal for yourself. For example when I started I did 10 push ups every morning/noon (when possible else I did them when I got home) and evening. and about 60 sit ups. Try finding something like this yourself. Start with like 5 push ups and 20 sit ups every morning etc and try building it up if you feel like you can handle more.

This comes from a personal experience btw (I was never fat, this wa more of a condition training though), I asked my gym teacher for some advice about it and he pretty much told me about the jogging exercise. Hope this helps a bit, it will be dreadful at the start, but once you get used to it you actually enjoy it. :d

Gl with the exercises and I hope this helped atleast a bit! :d

@Xothic It's not a joke, it really is quite popular (specially among older people), and works quite well. Helps you keep a straight back and a good rythm. Guess it can relieve som stress from lower body joints also.

To OP:

You got some seriously good advices in here, I'm impressed of the kindness of people!
    So I just got one thing to add: do something that you think is fun. I hate running and going to the gym; it makes me bored, and so it gives me nothing. Instead I've trained martial arts and now historical sword play. Having fun while you exercise is (at least to me) more important than anything.
    GM of Roiyaru - Frostmane. Ilinára, Combat rogue. So good at stealth I can't even find myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thank you to everyone who posted information and advice, i will say that when i tried walking i didnt stretch and im seeing many people saying that that is very important, so i will be sure to do that in a few minutes. I gotta say i didnt expect so much good feedback, and i just read through all of it, thanks again.
    weeee!

Glad to help my friend. If our advice can better at least one person's life, then it makes all the typing and reading worthwhile!