Gearing as a tank using tank pvp gear? Dont bother yet.

Edit: Title should read "Gearing as a PvP tank using tank PvP gear? Dont bother yet. "

Seems that the defensive stats of defense, shield chance and hence adsorption are pretty pointless.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155034
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2012-01-16 at 12:39 AM.
    RETH

Read this just as I finished making my full tank pvp set yesterday. Le Sigh.
    Bleh

At least you can now start on a DPS set :P I've still got 2/3rds of mine to get yet, and I can't really afford to not get tank gear in case it is fixed soon :<
    RETH

yeah , on the brightside I suppose I at least have the set for when it's fixed. I may as well grab a DPS set too on the off chance in raid I'll have to DPS.
    Bleh

Some of this makes a little sense, against some teams I am nigh unkillable, and take ages to die, even with 3-4 of them on me, usually long enough at least for my gunslinger friend to clean them up, while other times, I just die over and over again. I just assumed it was cause some people sucked and some know what to do, but it seems some have a helping hand too :P

Deleted
    It really depends on what you are facing. I mean if I face a team with 1-2 sorcs and the rest Marauders, Juggs and Snipers, I'm almost immortal due to 44% shield chance and 41% absorb chance (along with 50% armor mitigation and 14% defense). Against a team with 4 Sorcerers, maybe 1-2 operatives I may as well not be there. I'm kinda split on this... I mean there should be specs/classes that destroy tanks, but then again that makes tanking classes less than viable in PvP as their damage is low and their CC abilities few.

Quote Originally Posted by WZT View Post
    It really depends on what you are facing. I mean if I face a team with 1-2 sorcs and the rest Marauders, Juggs and Snipers, I'm almost immortal due to 44% shield chance and 41% absorb chance (along with 50% armor mitigation and 14% defense). Against a team with 4 Sorcerers, maybe 1-2 operatives I may as well not be there. I'm kinda split on this... I mean there should be specs/classes that destroy tanks, but then again that makes tanking classes less than viable in PvP as their damage is low and their CC abilities few.
    I think having tanks effective against only some classes would be really poor design. Tanks by nature have very bad damage capabilities; I have difficulty getting to 75k damage sometimes. that is where the trade off for their mitigation comes from. they can take a lot of damage but can't dish it out, meaning a tank needs to go around taunting and guarding to be as effective as possible.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of tank stats being useless, you have to take into consideration that taunts are quite spamable and puts 30% mitigation shields on your team mates with a fairly decent uptime. If you couple that with being nearly unkillable, that would force teams to always have a tank or two (two tanks can keep an insane uptime on taunts) on their ranks to be successful in pvp.

I agree though that shields should apply to all types of damage, not only physical. If you even look at it from a lore perspective, shields were meant to absorb energy damage, not physical, you can see physical objects going through shields all the time on the movies.
    As for armor, it should stay as it is, armor is meant for physical damage, not elemental or internal (bleeding).

All that armor and shields are still super effective (pun intended) against other warriors though, as most of their attacks are physical.

Now quoting the linked topic:
    Also guard doesn't work on companions, it only reduces their threat. So yeah. If you can heal your companion or Static Barrier them... why can't I transfer their damage back to me?
    Because this effect is meant to use on another player against other players, its a pvp effect, as there is no threat (as mechanic) in pvp. They should just have been more clear about it on the tooltip.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2012-01-16 at 01:00 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running arround in PvP with full PvE Tank Gear for two reasons: one is, i'm increadibly unlucky with bagdrops (4 times the Head. 3 times the Belt. nothing else but Badges...) the 2nd is, PvE gear is just so much easier to get. I'm now at 50% Rakata and 50% Culumi, 23.5k HP (with Rakata Tank Stim and Commandobuff), 44% Armor, 27.5% Defense, 48% Shield and 42%ish Absorb. (Shadow Tank).

So, whenever i'm grouping up with my mates we're often rocking the Warzone, not because we're better or whatever you might think, but because we've found out, that a Tank and a Commandoheal can easily defend a Target against 5 Enemy Players if there are not at least two Operatives attacking. Surely, we can not take them out if one of them heals - but they can't take us out ether. Guard on my Heal and he easily tanks 2 Imps. When all of them switch on him i can masstaunt and he starts playing the LoS-tag-game. When they're all on me, it's all good. When i drop low on health i can pop 2 CDs and im 12sec at 85% Avoidance and 5sec immune to any Ability, enough time for my mate to heal me up - and these Abilities are on low CDs, you can spam them whenever "the impzerg" respawns.

another thing i observed is: Most DD-Groups are ranged, melee DDs tend to jump in enemy ranged Groups. And most ranged DD groups often switch to those who are near to them. This is where Tanks can also shine: I always try to sprint into enemy Groups before any other of our melee DDs can, so i grab their attention, then pop some CDs and try to find out who of the enemy team heals, stun and interrupt him and use my Targeting Device on him - often he dies a vew sec afterwards.

Clearly you need at least four not half brain dead ppl and for every tank you need a dedicated healer who sticks to him like superglue, but this works (often ^^). really.

and i dont have problems getting badges either. to be honest, often i get the most only because of our guard ability, my rakata medpack and the fact that it is impossible for me to die in many, many situations. 12 Medals was my best, but i tend to get 8-10 at the most times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Regardless of tank stats being useless, you have to take into consideration that taunts are quite spamable and puts 30% mitigation shields on your team mates with a fairly decent uptime. If you couple that with being nearly unkillable, that would force teams to always have a tank or two (two tanks can keep an insane uptime on taunts) on their ranks to be successful in pvp.

I agree though that shields should apply to all types of damage, not only physical. If you even look at it from a lore perspective, shields were meant to absorb energy damage, not physical, you can see physical objects going through shields all the time on the movies.
    As for armor, it should stay as it is, armor is meant for physical damage, not elemental or internal (bleeding).

All that armor and shields are still super effective (pun intended) against other warriors though, as most of their attacks are physical.

Now quoting the linked topic:

Because this effect is meant to use on another player against other players, its a pvp effect, as there is no threat (as mechanic) in pvp. They should just have been more clear about it on the tooltip.
    Any AC with a tanking spec can taunt though. I run around spamming AOE taunts as Jedi Shadow Iniltration and pick up a good amount of protection meddals but i don't give up any of my damage abilities/stats.