Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Heading to the US/Canda, what to see?

Hi Guys,

My friend and I are Australian and we're going for a trip to the US and Canada from Feb 11 to Mar 14. Basically we want to know what to do in some of the places we're going.

Some of it is set with minimal free time but we've got a few free days in Vancouver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles and were wondering what we should do.

Please note we're already doing the following:
    - NHL - Canucks V Coyotes.
    - Grand Canyon
    - Disneyland/Universal Studios

Any advice will be considered!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Detroit, Michigan.
    While they are at it. Cleveland, Ohio.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    When an where are you going to Canada ?

February 21 is when Mardi Gras is. Head down to New Orleans for that.

Trust me, you'll be glad you went there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Detroit, Michigan.
    You do know Detroit is one big ghetto right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Niagara Falls, conveniently located in both countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferbster View Post
    You do know Detroit is one big ghetto right?
    Well I hope I do seeing how I live by it and have been to it before.

Check out the Rockies in British Columbia

/brofist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    okay, i'm going to try a crazy new theory: i'm going to take my pants off and type this in the nude (shirts are for pussies in the first place). i will also type it slowly and in full capitalized letters so those with impaired vision can see it (though it will not be in caps, since i hold down the shift key HA).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naih View Post
    When an where are you going to Canada ?
    We're heading to Vancouver, Calgary and surrounding area (Lethbridge in particular, since my friend's friend lives there and we're visiting her) and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by lifematters View Post
    You should head to the valley of fire. it's in nevada and kinda close to las vegas probably 60 miles it's worth the trip.
    Good to see that someone actually read the whole thing and realised I was looking for places in/around Vancouver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

If you're heading north from the Grand Canyon (slightly east from where you're going to be at), I'd definitely recommend heading up to Yellowstone National Park and see Old Faithful (and some other cool stuff). Since you're in that area (Montana), take the Going to the Sun Road to Glacier National Park for more awesome, though similar, stuff -- about a 7 hour drive total for some great memories if you're into the outdoors.

If you're more into the whole city thing and can fly out east, New York City + Time Square could be cool. Maybe check out a broadway show, too.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jothrazz View Post
    Check out the Rockies in British Columbia
    Oh yeah, forgot to add that to the list. We're going to have a look at them and go snowboarding/skiing (being Australians, snow is a big thing for us).

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Hi Guys,

My friend and I are Australian and we're going for a trip to the US and Canada from Feb 11 to Mar 14. Basically we want to know what to do in some of the places we're going.

Some of it is set with minimal free time but we've got a few free days in Vancouver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles and were wondering what we should do.

Please note we're already doing the following:
    - NHL - Canucks V Coyotes.
    - Grand Canyon
    - Disneyland/Universal Studios

Any advice will be considered!
    since you'll be in California anyway.. do everything you possibly can to see Sequoia National Park.. Yosemite National Park.. and if you're able.. the Coastal Redwoods in Jedidiah Smith State Park..

these are things that exist nowhere else on the planet.. and all in one state..

err.. scratch that.. i didn't bother to read the dates you will be there.. the Redwoods are the only one of the three that will be accessible at that time of the year..

but if you are driving down from Vancouver.. I highly recommend taking Highway 101 in northern Washington at least as far south as San Francisco.. there will be one ferry ride from whidbey island over to the Olympic penninsula in WA.. and it's possible there might be snow related issues on the penninsula.. so you may consider sticking to Interstate 5 as far south as Olympia WA and then cutting over to highway 101 via Aberdeen WA.. but that drive is absolutely amazing..
    Last edited by ishootblanks; 2012-01-16 at 03:29 AM.
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you're gonna be in Vegas, I suggest takin a quick trip to the Hoover Dam, not really much to see, but what you do see is pretty Dam amazing :P

Canadian here, personally all the ozzies come skiing at one point or another when they visit canada so i suggest visiting the rocky mountains. if you can already ski head out to golden or fernie if youre new go to nakiska. Dont bother visiting toronto youll see everything thats there in the states but better unless going on top of a tall tower intrigues you. If youre going in the summer i suggest camping in saskatchewan the sunsets there are amazing(try to go more north its less farmland more lakes and such but bring sunscreen!) BC is a must for their hemp product only of legal types OF COURSE plus victoria is an awesome city. If you head up to BC and like wine hit up the okanogan there are tons of wine orchards you want an adventure go do west coast trail (but be prepared for a really hard hike)........... there are tons of other things i can think of to do but i dont know specifically what youd enjoy

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    If you're heading north from the Grand Canyon (slightly east from where you're going to be at), I'd definitely recommend heading up to Yellowstone National Park and see Old Faithful (and some other cool stuff). Since you're in that area (Montana), take the Going to the Sun Road to Glacier National Park for more awesome, though similar, stuff -- about a 7 hour drive total for some great memories if you're into the outdoors.

If you're more into the whole city thing and can fly out east, New York City + Time Square could be cool. Maybe check out a broadway show, too.
    We're already doing a contiki tour around NYC and will have very little free time (and I'm assuming Times Square will be included as part of that) so I didn't include it on the list of things to do. But thanks, if we've got enough time and haven't seen it then it's definitely on the to do list.

---------- Post added 2012-01-16 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-N-Ike View Post
    Well if you're gonna be in Vegas, I suggest takin a quick trip to the Hoover Dam, not really much to see, but what you do see is pretty Dam amazing :P
    I see what you did there.

I've seen it on National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation. We've got a car and time so it's probably worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle/Portland/Vancouver. Great set of cities to check out.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    since you'll be in California anyway.. do everything you possibly can to see Sequoia National Park.. Yosemite National Park.. and if you're able.. the Coastal Redwoods in Jedidiah Smith State Park..

these are things that exist nowhere else on the planet.. and all in one state..
    I have been there and seen them. I agree 110% that they're beautiful and would love to see them again, however, it's a long drive from LA to do in a day (there and back) and we're using a rental car, I'm pretty sure snow chains will be required at the beginning of March.

New York, I don't live there, but its an awesome experience!