Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

/sigh.

Obama threatened to Veto and then NDAA was changed slightly to state it does not effect US citizens, unless they get sign-off on a per citizen basis from Congress, from what I understand.

Then the bill passed with enough support, even after Obama had said he had issues with it, that it would have been passed again after the Veto anyway.

This argument has been had and had again on these forums. Can we keep this on SOPA crashing and burning please? It is quite a lovely thing to witness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just waiting for a hardcore supporter of SOPA to commit or threaten suicide because of this setback. Or threaten or perform terroristic acts as a form of protest.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    It begins. Here comes the politic flame war. I guess I expected it..
    And all you can do is call it a flame war, not refute it. It is 100% true, and even democrats know it now.

I wonder how shitty the American soldiers must feel. I mean, they are fighting in some distant country for the security and freedom of their people. And all the while its their own leaders and politicians that pose the biggest threat to the freedom of the people.

They'll just slip it somewhere well hidden into the "Let's blow up Iran before they have nukes bill" after they release some doctored pictures of weapons like they did for Iraq and everyone will vote for it without reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    And all you can do is call it a flame war, not refute it. It is 100% true, and even democrats know it now.
    I'm confused why you think my comment at all implies my political standing. I just pointed out that it may cause some kind of flame war due to people with heavy views on politics. Which is something I don't have.

Deleted
    The price for freedom is eternal vigilance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    /sigh.

Obama threatened to Veto and then NDAA was changed slightly to state it does not effect US citizens, unless they get sign-off on a per citizen basis from Congress, from what I understand.

Then the bill passed with enough support, even after Obama had said he had issues with it, that it would have been passed again after the Veto anyway.

This argument has been had and had again on these forums. Can we keep this on SOPA crashing and burning please? It is quite a lovely thing to witness.
    Agreed. The comments relevant to the NDAA have been deleted by the mods.

Also, I'm moving this to Off-Topic General as it isn't terribly relevant to Video Games but actually the entire Internet.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Great News

This is excellent news indeed, glad I signed those petitions.

The one way to stop piracy is not by blocking the net, but giving people a way to access things better. Example Itunes was a way to stop illegal downloads of Music, sure it still goes on but, not to the extremes it was before when that was a big issue. Now what they can so is stream movies online for the fee of going to the movies or have a way of purchase it on release, that way the movie industry still gets it's money and we can stay at home and watch new movies. Sure people would say, "Oh, but that will kill theaters" no it won't because it still doesn't now, you can watch it for free on some sites. People still go out for family nights, dates or 3D/big screen experience.

They need to open their minds instead of trying to pass bills that are gonna ruin things for not just America, but the world. This news was indeed great to hear, now time for bed.

Deleted
    Keep vigilant, people. Laws like this are bound to appear again. And we need to keep the noise up so they will not get passed.

All it takes is one time and its all over.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elledramoc View Post
    This is excellent news indeed, glad I signed those petitions.

The one way to stop piracy is not by blocking the net, but giving people a way to access things better. Example Itunes was a way to stop illegal downloads of Music, sure it still goes on but, not to the extremes it was before when that was a big issue. Now what they can so is stream movies online for the fee of going to the movies or have a way of purchase it on release, that way the movie industry still gets it's money and we can stay at home and watch new movies. Sure people would say, "Oh, but that will kill theaters" no it won't because it still doesn't now, you can watch it for free on some sites. People still go out for family nights, dates or 3D/big screen experience.

They need to open their minds instead of trying to pass bills that are gonna ruin things for not just America, but the world. This news was indeed great to hear, now time for bed.
    Certain things about the gaming industry also piss people off, paying full price for a "digital" copy of a game is also horseshit. They don't package anything, or ship, or store. The only thing they pay for is bandwidth, and most of the downloads are slow as shit anyways, also doesn't help living in the US, where ISP have monopolies based on location and get away with charging $50 for shit internet, when the EU or Korean equivalent is like 15-20$

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Certain things about the gaming industry also piss people off, paying full price for a "digital" copy of a game is also horseshit. They don't package anything, or ship, or store. The only thing they pay for is bandwidth, and most of the downloads are slow as shit anyways, also doesn't help living in the US, where ISP have monopolies based on location and get away with charging $50 for shit internet, when the EU or Korean equivalent is like 15-20$
    Sorry for OT, but out of curiosity... What speed do you get with "$50 shit internet"?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KidCracken View Post
    Sorry for OT, but out of curiosity... What speed do you get with "$50 shit internet"?
    15 down atm, wanted to upgrade to 50 but not paying 120$/month

15meg/s down is just under a Gig every minute. I'm not sure why you find that slow?

Are you doing webhosting out of your basement?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Good new and I hope people will stop pirating and respect other's people work and effort.
    I agree! And just out of curiosity, you did ask for the artist's permission to use that as your avatar, right?

Deleted
    The Obama administration themselves have said they hope to have an anti-piracy bill pass through congress sometime this year. This isn't over by a long shot. If the government wants to make a feeble attempt to stop piracy then fine, but we all know that congress likes to take the piss with adding stuff into decent bills which then make them horrible. Every anti-piracy bill must be scrutinized just as much as SOPA was. And watch out for any sneaky amendments that they get in through the back door on any of these new bills.

Funny to see all the "I knew it wouldn't be passed" people claiming credit. The only reason they backed down was because of public pressure and pressure from tech giants. If everyone was as passive as you it would have likely passed a month ago. Thank the people who actually raised awareness of the impacts of the bill, because they are the ones that stopped it.

If they actually want to STOP online piracy they need to fucking innovate the ways they introduce movies to the masses.
    We are in a DIGITAL AGE.
    New music isn't sent to me via CD only still. Now there's internet radio that shows me what music I want, which supports the company hosting it, which in turn supports the bands. So I am legally supporting musicians while listening to their music, which in turn also encourages me to go buy their CD's or at the very least a new fucking internet capable car radio, and download some of their MP3's and put them on the MP3 Player I bought.

Movies right now are setup THE EXACT SAME WAY they've been setup since the first fucking theaters were introduced and the drive-thrus started to disappear. Drive-thru's at least gave you the ILLUSION of home safety, it was YOUR car.
    Now we're STILL forced like a bunch of lambs to the slaughterhouse to pay MASSIVELY overpriced ticket prices, food prices, you can't smoke, drink, pause the movie, you have to gamble the jackasses around you aren't going to ruin your movie experience, or that some random horde of teenagers snuck in and security is going to fucking become the best part of the movie because that's all you could see.

They HAVE to change the platform that they bring new movies out. This straight to DVD bullshit is for the birds.
    They need to allow samples of movies. Screeners of half the movie, or a quarter of the movie.
    Allow websites to pay per view movie releases, download the movie for a week from a movie company's website.
    This shit needs to be made brand new, all the amazing titles, FOR THE HOME. Theaters are fucking over with.

Nobody goes out to the gameshop to play the brand new game. They order the fucking game six months in advance from their house, to have it mailed to the game store, so they can pick it up through a dropbox and plate glass at Midnight... and play it at their house.

You get music downloaded IN your house to your entertainment system IN YOUR HOUSE to listen to the shit IN YOUR HOUSE, or your car, or your yard, or your workplace, whatever.
    You don't download it to go jam it at the music theater, for 20 bucks a visiting pop.

The moment these vampire bastard movie corporations actually try to innovate NEW concepts for movie watching, instead of making every piece of shit movie the ones that go straight to home release, and don't try to FORCE people to the theaters or wait a year for the movie to become buyable for home use, people will stop pirating IN DROVES. The latest great innovation of the theater industry is... 3D movies.
    That shit was from back in the 70's, we gonna go back to the Drive-Thrus next?
    Sad fucking thing? In the 70's, our TELEVISION SETS didn't have 3D capabilities. Well, now our TVs do.
    So again, this shit needs to be developed with a HOME PLATFORM in mind.

TLDR:
    The theater mandatory attendance is what's causing online piracy. NOT the fact people want to play Blackbeard on the broadband seas.
    There needs to be more of an emphasis of new GOOD, BLOCKBUSTER BOX OFFICE HITS! Going to the home platform at the same time as a theater option.
    Then watch the profit of movie sales.
    Watch the decline of theater tickets.

Deleted
    Huzzah! That's wonderful news!

Just goes to show, raise enough awareness and get enough people, preferably with pull, shouting against something and the powers-that-be will cave. Always remain vigilant though! This PIPA thing seems like the next thing to make sure they don't try to weasel through.

Really happy this didn't pass, although I'm sure that this will be pushed through again, with some revisions...

Also curious how the other bill will do.