Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Why are not more wow players not trying rift?

<MOD EDIT: Post constructively and keep it civil>

Rather, than complaining about the difficulty and style of wow, why are not you guys trying rift? The game follows old mmorpg standard with leveling, raiding and exploration. Leveling process is grindy but not mind fuck. Multiple instances with three levels of difficulty with reward being better at high difficulty. Variable difficulty with raids. Hardcore raiders always be on the current raid (raids have less boss, so times not really factor), Casual raiders will be on a tier low and semi current raid that requires less man. Gears are needed from the older raids, so players will always find guilds raiding those. There solo and duo instances with its own reward. Its alt unfriendly but the work you gonna put on one single toon will make it even more intimate and valuable. Its really got no downside, rather than complaining about the direction of wow, why not try the game. its cheap to buy in steam and also got recruit a friend (don't know if it gives exp, never tried it).
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-01-24 at 09:19 PM.

I played RIFT back in beta and didn't like it at all, that's why i don't play. Although I'm not complaining about WoW either..

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Rift, although the FPS issues I was having with it led me to re-install WoW
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Deleted
    Because it flopped, Games going free to play soon. I didn't like it.

Deleted
    "Why are not more wow players not trying rift?"

I think there are already plenty of wow players not trying rift. And based on your description of it, I don't really see the appeal either. Alt unfriendly, leveling process is grindy, raids have less bosses. I think you just answered your own not very well formulated question.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played but was actually sickened by the fact that it was basicly a more poorly running version of WoW at level cap. I have just gotten too used to the smooth transitions and lack of animation hinderances that no MMO to date seems to have been able to fix/replicate. Unfortunately, the only thing new and exciting I have to look forward to is Guild Wars 2, and until then, Diablo 3 with close friends.

I know you liked it but I played to level 20 and it was horrible game ....sorry im guessing a lot of wow players felt the same ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried Rift, found it extremely boring. Gamebryo engine just kills it right off the bat, even if players don't understand why, they see it. The WoW new-conventions of different levels of the same fights instead of progression and LFD/R, are what is destroying WoW and makes both worlds look completely empty.

The backwards design of classes and talents, completely destroy making alts. Instead of having 9 classes with three trees to work through, Rift offers 4 classes and that greatly limits alt fun, along with the empty world.

I could barely stay awake playing Rift but that's not to say I find WoW any better. Trying SWTOR atm but it has it's own problems as well, luckily of those problems, putting me to sleep isn't one of them, yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Altam View Post
    "Why are not more wow players not trying rift?"

I think there are already plenty of wow players not trying rift. And based on your description of it, I don't really see the appeal either. Alt unfriendly, leveling process is grindy, raids have less bosses. I think you just answered your own not very well formulated question.
    The question was directed toward the people who were complaining about wow. There more content to do in rift compared to wow, since you don't always start current tier every patch. There no real need for alts looking at wow through expansions. Alts became popular in Lich king when the leveling was easy but content was slow and less. You did the same thing with different toons. With the content development in rift so far, alts will not be missed (i think). By grindy i meant, its not wow easy but not as hard as linage grind. Raids do have less boss but theres more raid to do with its own difficulty. So, multiple raids are organized in average guild, or through chat, do whichever one you feel like when u want.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Rather, than complaining about the difficulty and style of wow, why are not you guys trying rift? The game follows old mmorpg standard with leveling, raiding and exploration. Leveling process is grindy but not mind fuck. Multiple instances with three levels of difficulty with reward being better at high difficulty. Variable difficulty with raids. Hardcore raiders always be on the current raid (raids have less boss, so times not really factor), Casual raiders will be on a tier low and semi current raid that requires less man. Gears are needed from the older raids, so players will always find guilds raiding those. There solo and duo instances with its own reward. Its alt unfriendly but the work you gonna put on one single toon will make it even more intimate and valuable. Its really got no downside, rather than complaining about the direction of wow, why not try the game. its cheap to buy in steam and also got recruit a friend (don't know if it gives exp, never tried it).
    I play Rift, but the way you've written this doesn't really make it sound very good And some of the raids have more bosses, HK is 11 bosses. Dunno how many there have been in recent wow patches though. Basically in this thread you've just given wow players who don't like Rift a free pass to Rift bash.

I did try Rift
    I didn't much like it, I went back to WoW

It's alright but it's not different enough to the game I am already playing to keep my interest, if I wasn't already playing WoW I could consider playing RIFT but I can't be bothered considering I'd have to get to the level cap and find a guild etc and I've already done all that in WoW

Maybe when it is free I will give it another shot

I found this topic on the homepage, thought I could answer. A few things held me back from enjoying Rift. For starters, my computer isn't that great. Rift was unplayable. Why mmo-developers feel that they can ignore the concept of universal design when creating PC video games is beyond me.

But more importantly? Rift didn't get me hooked. Everything about the game felt generic and the rift mechanic sounded like it would get old fast.

Deleted
    idk if there's a free trial, if there was, i would propably try it o_o

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    Because I have yet to see anything that is interesting and new in it.
    Doubt anyone can create anything new any more. But rift does give flexibility of doing things at your pace and being rewarded by what you do (different reward for everything). Since, people were complaining about every one getting everything the same, rift would be a good game to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    There is a free trial

I think people are just too established in WoW to keep playing Rift, especially considering how alike the two are.

The difficulty of raids and the likes are higher in Rift though, that's true. Which, again, makes it odd how few people make the change. I guess people are just weird, always complaining and doing nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    I do believe there is a free Trial from the 19th-22nd.

I'd recommend trying it. It's not a perfect game and a lot of people found it too similar to WoW (Myself included, but I'll not try to start a war in here), but it can't really hurt to try. You just might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    I found this topic on the homepage, thought I could answer. A few things held me back from enjoying Rift. For starters, my computer isn't that great. Rift was unplayable. Why mmo-developers feel that they can ignore the concept of universal design when creating PC video games is beyond me.

But more importantly? Rift didn't get me hooked. Everything about the game felt generic and the rift mechanic sounded like it would get old fast.
    Yeh, they had the graphic problem at the beginning. but its much better now if you want to try it. You can always try setting some of the graphics low or disabling without reducing too much of the quality. Theres post in the forum on how to set rift to use one of your other unused cores (if multiple cores) or how to play rift on low settings by goign into rift physical file in the computer. True rift seems generic, but every game so far has been the same. hopefully thats change some day before i die.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    I think people are just too established in WoW to keep playing Rift, especially considering how alike the two are.

The difficulty of raids and the likes are higher in Rift though, that's true. Which, again, makes it odd how few people make the change. I guess people are just weird, always complaining and doing nothing.
    It's easier for people to be awesome in WoW because the content is easier

It doesn't differ enough from wow to switch. If you are done with wow, it's pretty likely you won't enjoy Rift either.

The only MMO that I will try out other than wow is GW2. Because that looks pretty innovative and because MoP will push me away from wow.