i7 -2600k 4.8ghz
    asus maximus iv extreme z -z68
    8gigs gskill ripjaws
    2 ssd raid 0
    2 wd cb tb each raid 0
    raptor 500g
    2x 7970
    haf x case for now waiting on cosmos 2 to come in stock

cpu is water cooled on custom loop with apogee x2 waterblock blackice 360 rad lanig d5 pump etc 3/8-5/8th tubing

im looking for a good physx card to help finish off the build the 2 7970s and the physx card will be water cooled at some point

I didn't think ATI cards were PhysX compatible.

Even tho it is not impossible mixing Nvidia w/ AMD will inevitably cause massive problems specifically in the rare title that use's phsyx. Beyond that in all honesty it's quite clear you donot need a physx card nor do you know what would make a good one. However your headache but anything that was once a worthy gaming card 260 460 etc and up would be a decent physx card.

Wouldn't anything short of a 570 or a 580 slow down his Xfire 7970s severely, incompatibility issues aside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres only a handful of games that even use Physx. Not worth it. Its nothing great anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

A GTX460 has enough power to chew through PhysX calculations and keep up with the HD 7970s. However, as has been mentioned, while running an AMD GPU alongside a PhysX processor can create a ton of incompatibilities and headaches.
    Super casual.

Considering your CPU, it's just not worth the hassle, and it sure as hell would never be worth getting a waterblock for a pure PhysX GPGPU. You could just passively cool it.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    I don't think dedicated PhysiX cards even exist anymore (they used to, originally).

The only way to access PhysiX is via Nvidia GPUs and those are mutually exclusive from ATI cards.

Dedicated physx cards are just normal graphics card except they are only doing physx.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I don't think dedicated PhysiX cards even exist anymore (they used to, originally).

The only way to access PhysiX is via Nvidia GPUs and those are mutually exclusive from ATI cards.
    The OP is asking what older Nvidia card he should use. There is a simple driver hack that enables you to use ATI cards for main display, and an Nvidia card as a hardware Physx card. I do not have a link at the moment, but I used to do just this.

Even in an all Nvidia setup disabling physx will in most case's improve your performance and I have seen multiple benchmarks w/ SLI'd 580's w/ a 3rd 580 as a dedicated physx card actually performing worse than the 2 580's as is.

after reading more into this and what you guys are saying i think im going to just grab a 3rd 7970 and call it done i do appreciate the advise