Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So i get SWTOR tommorow...

Got any tips for a beginner? albiet, i played warcraft. i'll be rolling a jedi knight guardian, seeing as my last warcraft main was a tank. im excited to experience more challenging tankign then just lol aoe spam.

I didnt find tanking challenging at all on my Assassin its actually easier than WoW. Jedi Guardian or Jug is a good class to roll and they are getting buffed upcoming patch as well. I would not recommend Republic is you are planning on PvPing.
    WoW, Season 2 Gladiator Rogue (Djprada). #1 3v3 RPM, Vindication BG, Old School Arena rating 2450 and 2v2 R/L 2400, Server Laughing Skull
    Swtor, Battle Master, Sith Assassin Dice, 690 Experise, Server Dearth Wind Corridor

Lvl50 - Assassin PvP Video http://youtu.be/To-k7ZaZGmA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by djprada View Post
    I would not recommend Republic is you are planning on PvPing.
    I would strongly recommend Republic for PvP, after the 1000th Hutball thing's might get a bit boring .
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Nothing wrong with Republic for PvP. The offiicial win/loss rate is 47% for Rep and 53% for Empire. I would say my experience is an outlier, as my win rate is much higher than 47%. Don't choose your faction based on whether you think they're good at PvP or not. It's about you and the 7 people with you, not whether you're a Jedi or a Sith.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zplasch View Post
    Unless your super interested in star wars and RPG and story etc

Don't get it.
    He's not asking for your opinion on the game. If you don't like it that's your opinion.

He's asking for tips for a new character.

___

There's nothing wrong with Rep in PvP, the point is, since almost all servers are 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 imperial, imperials play huttball a lot more than Rep. Because hutball is the only BGs you can play versus your own faction .

Keep your companions gear updated ..under the companion tab in your character menu you can switch gear . Sometimes it better to pick gear for your companion as a quest reward rather then a slight upgrade for yourself ...also most of the time it better to get a planets commendations rather then a slight gear upgrade because the commendations vendors often have very nice gear upgrades .

Open up your computer and give it a good dusting, make sure your drivers are up to date and make sure you have time to play and enjoy the story

Read through this thread while you are installing the game - there are some real gems in there that might take you a while to work out otherwise
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-I-wish-I-knew...

There is also a thread called something like "SW:TOR for WoW players" which was pretty useful

BH Powertech and Trooper Venguard are more challenging and more fun than Jedi Guardian.JG is nearly a 1:1 copy of prot-warrior.
    In terms of useful companions BH and Trooper beat Jedi Knight.BH gets good healer from the start, Trooper gets same kind of healer with lvl 18-19 and most of troopers companions use Aim stat just like your char does, which makes equiping them much easier.With JG however you will have problems.First companion is droid-tank(primary stat Aim,and requires droid parts as equip),droid healer, third one is dps (light armor only, primary stat Willpower), as you can see you cant just pass your "old" gear to them, you have to equip them differently.
    As for the beginner tips ; keep all "red" items you get.If you dont use them, store them in storage.Instead of buying red items, replace the mods in ones you are using.Buy red/customizable items for your comp if they use different armor type than your char.
    Last edited by Kaynot; 2012-01-17 at 09:34 AM.

Are you kidding? Leveling a BH is the easiest class, both AC's, to do anything with. Not to say they aren't fun because they are a blast, but...

Leveling in a tank spec you generally dont die, but things take a long time to kill from about 40 onwards.

- When you get level 10 and choose your Advance Class, from that time on make sure you check both tabs from your trainer. You get 2 different sets of skill, the Jedi Knight standard skills and your AC skills. Don't go til lvl 30 b4 you realize that :P.
    - You can buy Spaceship upgrades b4 you go to your ship. So, when you are finishing the 2nd zone, buy them ahead of time to save some time (And to make those missions easier)
    - You separate stacks of items using shift + RIGHT click + drag. If you do left click, it will link the item in chat.
    - You do NOT need a mod station to mod your items. Just CTRL right click.
    - Also, for a small fee, you can remove mods from previously worn items. So, if you upgrade your chest, you can pull out your old mods and put them in other slots if they are higher lvl.
    - BioChem is, atm, the only viable Crewskill.
    - Don't let people fool you, credits are easy to come by. I have kept my crewskills on par with my level, and I had 90k Credits at 25 (need 48 for training/mount) and a large excess at 40/50 for mount training as well.
    - You can put gear on your companion, its on the 'companion' tab on your character window. They should be kept up to date, they can be very powerful.

Uhm, there are more, if you want to PM me, I can talk about it. I play a 50 Sith Marauder (Jedi Sentinel mirror class)
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    Try to save 48k credits to buy your mount at level 25.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im going to read through everyones suggestions and such and appreciate the input.

Damn excited to play this game, all the negativity ive seen...meh, im glad to be away from blizzards game.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't get it.
    You can keep your bogus out of this thread. If someone is asking whether they should get the game based upon your experiences then feel free to state your opinion.

Few tips. Well pickup Slicing and Bioanalysis and if you really want to harvest everything you see then get Scavenging as well as your three primary professions. Then just make sure when ou leave zone that most nodes etc... are yellow/green before leaving the planet to keep up to date with levels.
    Store your mats in the Vault and once you hit 50 sell everything on the GTN. This should net you around 500K to 1,000,000 depending how much stuff you got and on your server.

You should get the first and second bag upgrades because they are worth it and never buy greens or stuff from GTN unless you are level 50 or really found some nice orange or epic which will last you good 10 levels. The speeder at level 25 is something like 45K so make sure you got enough because its a big plus. Once you get to 40 then its not that important to get the speeder unless you have money due to the cost being 210K or so for nly 10% speed improvements.

Hope you enjoy the game. If you are looking to play on US servers as Empire you can hit me up Ashira and I can sort you out (bags wise etc..) Though im not gonna be on whole week due to College and shizzz...
    -K

Don't get it.
    You just mentioned: one of the world's most known trademarks (Star Wars), a whole gaming genre (RPG) and one of the biggest creations that drive a multitude of different media in our modern culture (storytelling). Yea, that's a very good and reasonable reason to not buy the game, unless you are sarcastic. Kind of like I am?

As for tanking, I hear a lot of good words about powertech tanking from some who tried it, but I ended up getting hooked on a Jedi Shadow so I never got far on it myself. powertech is tied to the bounty hunter on the imperial side.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post

The speeder at level 25 is something like 45K so make sure you got enough because its a big plus. Once you get to 40 then its not that important to get the speeder unless you have money due to the cost being 210K or so for nly 10% speed improvements.
    Actually DO save up for the lvl40 mount. It might only be 10% faster, but it can take a lot of a beating from mobs - 1 attack on the lvl25 speeder will knock you off whereas you can literally drive through packs on a lvl40 one

Quote Originally Posted by Azax24 View Post
    Im going to read through everyones suggestions and such and appreciate the input.

Damn excited to play this game, all the negativity ive seen...meh, im glad to be away from blizzards game.
    There's a lot of negativity that is fairly bad criticism apart from issues such as a lack of addons (hurr, by this I mean support for it and not the addons themselves as they are created not by the developer but by us ourselves) and the somewhat delayed responsiveness if you are largely into PvP. They are working on fixing those. Generally most of the feedback outside of forum bitching has actually been very positive on TOR. Not talking so much about reviews on IGN, etc, but other review sites as well and public media outside of pure review sites such as magazines and papers. There's plenty of positive feedback on the game from people like TB and Jesse Cox as well. All the negativity is a fair portion of forum bitching from fanboys of WoW as noticed earlier in this thread or just people who don't enjoy the heavy focus on storytelling (which is their taste and they are allowed to have it of course and that is why they mention it as downside to TOR, this is normally the less idiotic negative feedback the game gets along with constructive notions about macro support/addons and the combat issue).

That said, if you have a nostalgia for Vanilla WoW TOR will reintroduce those memories at times as it is a new game with new worlds to explore, etc. The datacrons are a very neat addition to the game which gives TOR a little more bang for the bucks if you are into exploration and solving puzzles while also being rewarded for it in-game with minor stats boosts. You'll probably find a fair bit of enjoyment as long as you don't expect to be baffled away as if it was the saviour of MMO's. Many walk into new games with that idea and get disappointed or disillusioned to the point where they can't even enjoy the things they normally would in another game they had less expectations from.

I hope you have fun in the game, btw, and don't listen to people telling you that you have to play republic for variation of warzones or imperial because republic sucks at PvP. Pick the side that compels you storywise, this is a game with a heavy focus on immersion in character and the larger plot involving both sides.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-01-17 at 10:18 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    - BioChem is, atm, the only viable Crewskill.
    I am actually not sure for tanks right now. The Armor-Adrenal seems to me less powerful than the Artificer-Relics, so it might be more worthwhile to get those. On the other hand the secondary effect of the Biochem-only Healpack can be nice for tanks I think. But I would expand this to "either Biochecm OR Artifice, every other crewskills not viable".

Another hint for the OP: Look that you can level together with another person on regular basis. Leveling with 2 people is very nice in this game!
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mainman View Post
    dont buy this game atm it is so broke its a joke, they is soo many bugs and the customer care is 0/10 its the worst mmo by far, to say they spent $300 million on this and this is what they came up with is a disgrace.
    They did not spend 300 million dollars on this game, and the game is not so broken that it's unenjoyable. You're kidding yourself if you expected a game without bugs.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-01-17 at 12:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fannyd View Post
    Actually DO save up for the lvl40 mount. It might only be 10% faster, but it can take a lot of a beating from mobs - 1 attack on the lvl25 speeder will knock you off whereas you can literally drive through packs on a lvl40 one
    Ah yeah, that is another plus. The level 50 mount is great, rarely get knocked of.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-01-17 at 12:55 PM.
    -K