Deleted

Will I be able to level Jewelcrafting?

With only 5k and 525 mining (which is on an alt).

I currently posted a while back saying my target was to get to 20kg and i'm currently on 5kg ( ) but i'm just wondering is it possible to level JC with just 5kg and 525 mining which is on my alt?

My realm is Frostmane and Moss Agate's go for 40g per 1

Of course it is. As long as you have mining you only have to spend like 400 gold on buying the skills.
    It's kinda stupid to buy gems like that. It's probably cheaper (in most cases) to buy ores.
    But you probably should just mine all of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Essenji View Post
    Of course it is. As long as you have mining you only have to spend like 400 gold on buying the skills.
    It's kinda stupid to buy gems like that. It's probably cheaper (in most cases) to buy ores.
    But you probably should just mine all of it.
    How about the moss agates and shadow gems though which fetch much mor than they should especially the moss agates which seem very hard to farm

Quote Originally Posted by Attendance View Post
    How about the moss agates and shadow gems though which fetch much mor than they should especially the moss agates which seem very hard to farm
    Mine tin, and prospect it. You can find Tin deposits in Duskwood, Northern Stranglethorn, and other places, or on the AH. Don't buy the gems separately unless it's cheaper. (This is my first post, or I would have posted a link. Search for "tin ore" at Wowhead.)

Leveling JC takes a LOT of ores. See if you have a friend or guildmate who is one already who does the shuffle, and has spare uncommon gems that you could use for leveling. (A friend of mine gave me several stacks of Zephyrite, for example.)

Deleted
    I would mine expensive ores to sell on the ah and use the gold to buy cheaper ores.
    As said above make friends with high level jc in guild. You can cut and level gems for them. I always give assistance to guildies who want to level by letting them make meta gems to finish from 500-525. Also any of the red gems.

Whilst JC is useful I would keep your chances of making big amounts of money realistic.
    Competition is high at the moment from people who have many patterns.
    Demand is now slowing down and will continue to do so as the expansion runs out of steam.
    You can only get 1 token per day.

Imo you are likely to make more money from the mining side and then use the services of an existing jc. You can ofc prospect away.

I levelled JC and Mining on a new alt at the same time, mining hit 525 when I hit about 480 on JC. Mined most of my own ore (unless I was running into a rut and not getting anywhere near enough nodes), smelted what I needed to smelt and prospected the rest. I think I spent about 1000g total. I'm not really looking to make a lot of money, just craft the few gems I tend to use and sell the rest that I prospect.

Well I leveled it on around 1300g on a alt with max mining so I think you'll do fine

the time spent mining old ores would be better spent doing laps mining the most valuable ores. When you want a hamburger, you dont go out and find a cow and plant some wheat seeds, return 6 months later and eat. You do whatever it is that you do for a living, earning what is hopefully the most money available for your skills (which are presumably not wheat farming and cattle ranching), then take your paycheck and buy mcdonalds.

Someone out there in the wide world of warcraft is a poor slob leveling an alt with mining, and that poor bastard cant mine anything but copper. so he mines and he mines and he mines. and then he sells it for next to nothing because thats what its worth. For you to take your lvl 85 with 525 mining, and start patrolling the vale for copper nodes, when you could be mining elementium or saronite, or whatever, would be like you going out and buying a cow and seeds.

Better question of if you should power level JC at all... no gaurentees that after you spend all that time and gold leveling JC< that you will be dedicated or successful at producing a profit. JC is a slow profession since you have to do dailies to aquire the patterns that matter.

Deleted
    I only really want JC for the bonuses for my self not for making a profit.

hmmm I just saw the want 20kg part.

as far as bonus's, JC has the worst bonus's currently... I think that'll change soon enough, but if bonus's are your ONLY interest... look elsewhere.

though if your strapped for cash, I bet you arent running a full set of epic gems that would get you even more bonus's. Need gold for that though.

cash is king. everything else falls into line once you have it.

As long as you have mining you can level JC for almost nothing. It just depends on how patient you are. And considering MoP won't be out for another year, you have a lot of time.

Deleted
    So far I have spent 1.4k on mats and I am on 325 atm that is by mainly buying all the mats from the AH apart from the 1-100 mats which I farmed.

Hoping to get to 525 tommorow if I just level JC.

Deleted
    There are 2 slight bumps as I recall one where you are moving from vanilla ores to TBC and a harder bump to move from TBC to WOTLK. From thereon it is easy. You dont need 525 I think its 500 or even less to get the full bonuses. The bump is to do with rarity of gems and thats where you might need to mine so you can prospect. If you are alliance then using the ah is still viable though.

There is a lot of deabte about whether JC bonuses are now rubbish due to their watering down with epic gems. I wouldnt let this put you off and I would look longer term at having max skill on what is likely to be the most profitable profession next expansion. You would then be in prime position to make yourself a lot of gold very quickly which is not to be sniffed at.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Constantino View Post
    the time spent mining old ores would be better spent doing laps mining the most valuable ores. When you want a hamburger, you dont go out and find a cow and plant some wheat seeds, return 6 months later and eat. You do whatever it is that you do for a living, earning what is hopefully the most money available for your skills (which are presumably not wheat farming and cattle ranching), then take your paycheck and buy mcdonalds.
    You'd think so and this is very good advice but you do have to consider the AH on your server (obviously you should do the thing that gets you what you need most quickly/easily; that's a truism but it's not always clear what is best).

Our AH is barely functioning so when I leveled up JC I had to go farm because there just weren't the mats on the AH at any price. This is particularly true for the mats from previous expansions. I levelled all professions during Wrath on alts and often ended up buying out the AH and then farming...

When there are mats on the AH they're often priced insanely high. Most of the time they're priced so high I can't believe anyone would buy them so there's not much point in trying to sell into that market. It's this gap that can make it worthwhile farming your own mats rather than farming to sell on AH.

As to profit... I've never look to profit much from any profession - ever since TBC I've been in guilds that craft for themselves so it's quite rare that anyone would pay for anything - you need the rare world drop recipes to really cash in.

Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    As to profit... I've never look to profit much from any profession - ever since TBC I've been in guilds that craft for themselves so it's quite rare that anyone would pay for anything - you need the rare world drop recipes to really cash in.
    Nah, all you need is the Prospecting skill which just so happens to come with Jewelcrafting. If you also have Alchemy and Enchanting on any char you're good to go and make huge amounts of gold.