Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

*IMPORTANT* Do you know first aid?

Today, a 40 year old women in my street died. She suffered a heart attack, such thing happen but that is not what makes me sad. Apparently, when she collapsed she was in the middle of a family gathering with about 10 people present. 10 people were present yet not one person knew basic first aid, she was pronounced dead when the paramedics arrived. Because of this i feel it is my duty to ask each of you, do you know basic first aid? The paramedics said that basic first aid could have saved her life, yet none of her family moved to help her, they just stood and panicked.

It is my personal belief that everybody should know basic first aid and CPR, one day it could be you that needs the help. Please watch this British advert for hands only CPR, this could add 10 minutes to the victims life, long enough for the paramedics to arrive and take over. If you have no first aid training, shame on you! Sign up to a local class and potentially save somebodies life. Remember, this could be you or somebody you love.

10+ Year Old Account
    BSA taught me well

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes we were taught at high school how to do basic CPR, also alot of employers pay for people to take first aid courses.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I do not, but I definitely should. That is a sad story, and it would be horrible if something like that happened to somebody that I know. Always better safe than sorry.

Deleted
    You need to learn first aid to get a driver's license here, so yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not. I keep "meaning" to get trained and take a course, but I seem to never have time. It is definitely something that I would like to do though, no doubt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I do not, but I definitely should. That is a sad story, and it would be horrible if something like that happened to somebody that I know. Always better safe than sorry.
    You can volunteer for a local charity for free first aid training, the UK has saint johns ambulance. If i had my way this stuff would be basic stuff at school, a 3-5 day course every year.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    You need to learn first aid to get a driver's license here, so yes.
    If i had my way the UK would follow the same suite. It should be a required course at school and as part of your driving license.

Learned in school and it stays with you. Now that they don't want you using your mouth its even more simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Learned in school and it stays with you. Now that they don't want you using your mouth its even more simple.
    Its not that they do not want you to use the mouth, they just think you are more likely to attempt first aid if you did not kiss the man.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 01:45 AM ----------

Any mod that makes this a sticky will potentially save somebodies life.

Deleted
    Yes I do, my doctor aunt used to teach me when I was younger. Although I am almost like a hermit. Only see people at work so I doubt I would ever have to help anyone, but I could.

By danish law, it is required to learn traffic related first aid to get a drivers license.
    Also, if you take any kind of education that may require you to be in a workshop of some kind (mechanic, carpenter, even IT-supporter) you are also required to take a full first aid course, plus a basic firefighting course.

So yes, I do.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Yeah, I know the basics.
    I could do with taking a refresher course though, because it was quite a long time ago that I did my first aid training.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Most people saying "I learned it in high school, I know whats up" Do not realize that the official CPR has changed like 14 times in the last five years. Completely different compressions/breaths then it used to be.

I would not feel comfortable doing it anymore, memory is to foggy and I would probably f it up. If it was me and someone dying, I would probably give it a damn try though.

Deleted
    Yes first year in transportation and cargo handling school tought me first aid however that was like 5 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've learnt it once, since its mandatory to finish a first aid course to be able to get your driving license. I've never applied it though and I wouldn't feel confident enough to do it, it has been years since the course.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Yea I do. Saved 3 people from death so far. One of them was while going to the store, other 2 was at my work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gained first aid qualification in CPR through work

I learned when i was in the Army many years ago. I wouldn't want to do it unless it was an emergency, but would jump in if I had to. I am also married to an RN, and for fun I get to be the practice dummy when she practices for her training and continuing ed classes.

This advert is epic. Its the perfect way to advertise it, because its an enjoyable ad to watch. "Here's one I made earlier"

I learnt in scouts, and probably would if I had to, but I have always been a bit nervous about it because my scout master said that if you do it wrong, break a rib and kill them, you could go to jail. Happily, when this advert was introduced a couple of weeks ago, the news said that no one in the UK has ever been sucessfully sued for performing CPR wrong, which calms my nerves a lot. Although, I probably wouldn't do it in the US, where they'll sue you for anything.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Deleted
    Yes, qualified first aider, have been for about 8 years (im 21 so thats not to bad going :P)

I have actually done 5 different qualifications over the years, some out of interest, some as requirements for jobs.

amazing how things like CPR have changed over the past 8 years though.