I am at a lose here....

- I have lowest graphic setting
    - Ran ccleaner
    - Rift is the only game installed on my computer
    - Defraged my computer
    - Running game booster
    - Set rifts priority in task manager to high
    - Downloaded latest driver
    - Bought a new graphics card (other one died)

Yet I still can't get above 20 fps in rift. Every time I move its all choppy and not running smoothly.

I am using Geforce GT 545 nvidia graphics card, windows 7.

system model: XpS 360i
    Intel core 2 quad cpu q8200 ~2.3 GHz
    8192 MB of ram

Nothing is running in the background while playing rift. Can someone help?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Problem 1: Terrible, terrible GPU.

Problem 2:Make sure you dont have some weird program installed, not running, installed in your computer, there were reports of various Asus/Evga programs bugging the shit out of it.

Fix1 :Lower your resolution

Fix 2:Go into your Rift installation folder and find the shortcut named Rift.cfg

Right Click-->Properties-->Open File Location.

Open Rift.cfg there with Notepad or Wordpad or any sort of text editor.

There are lots of different stuff there, they are settings of the game inside, changes you NEED to do, no matter running on LOW or High, doesnt matter.

Change 1:

MainThreadCPU = 0

By default its 3, change it to 0.

Change 2:

LightingComplexity = 10.000000

IMPORTANT: On Weaker cards this might cause you to LOSE FPS, test this properly, put it at 10.000000 and then at 0 and check if your FPS jumps.

Change 3:

VfxCullDistance = 256

This does not exist it needs to get added below Texture Quality and above VFXLimit.

Change 4:

VFXLimit = 10 <--The biggest impact on FPS especially during groups and raids.

This will cause only 10 spell effects to show at a time, yours and the bosses, not the other players, some quest objectives that are like fire pools, might not show, i know only 2 quests in the whole game that this change affects.

Change 5:

Set Anisotropic Filtering from the nvidia control panel and not from in game, 0 or 16 bares minimum difference in FPS, but as i said you have a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE graphics card, it might affect you negatively, trial and error here.

Fix 3: Running lower, does not always help.

Not everything affects FPS as much, things that really affect FPS in Rift are.

1)Particle Quantity (This is VFXLimit, thats why you change it to 10)

2)Shadows

3)Anti-aliasing.

4)Object Distance

5)Ground Density, even if you are standing on rocks, your PC is drawing the grass somewhere around you, causing FPS drops, having it at 0 helps, but the terrain looks kinda plain.

Make sure Shadows are off, make sure Anti-Aliasing is off, Ground density and 0 and ground effects or however its called, there are 2 of the, at 0.

---------- Post added 2012-01-20 at 04:06 AM ----------

An example of how it should look for you:

AnisotropicFiltering = 0 <--Have at 0, set from Nvidia control panel to 8 or 16, has no real effect for me, really important eye candy for the game to look better.
    AntialiasMode = 0 <---REALLY IMPORTANT THAT ITS 0
    AO = True <--Trial and Error, check how much FPS you lose with this enabled.
    AutoAdjustSettings = False <---Make sure its False
    DetailObjectsEnabled = True <--No real FPS reduction.
    FullscreenFXEnabled = False <---Make sure its false.
    Gamma = 1.000000 <--Your choice.
    GroundClutterDensity = 0 <---This is grass and bushes on terrain, scales from 0 to 20, increases the amount of grass.
    GroundClutterRadius = 0 <--This is how far the grass will load from you.
    LegacyRenderer = False <--This is the Low Quality Renderer.
    LightingComplexity = 10.000000 <--This is the light in game, usually this is what causes choppyness, setting it at 10.000000 (100 in game) makes the choppyness vanish
    MaxLOD = 1 <-- No clue.
    MaxShaderLOD = 10 <--No affect for me, it has an affect on weaker pcs, trial and error.
    MinShaderLOD = 10 <--same as above
    MipFilter = 1 <-- No clue
    MultipassTerrainEnabled = True <- No real affect for me, trial and error.
    ObjectDetail = 100 <--No real affect for me, trial and error.
    ObjectDrawDistance = 145 <--Really important, this causes FPS drops, cause it draws stuff you cant see at some places, its good to have it around 100 thought for instances.
    OverrideGamma = False <--Eh..
    ProjectedTexturesEnabled = True <--Trial and Error, no effect for me
    QualityPreset = 5 <--Ignore, this is the bar scaler at Low -->Custom, it says 5 cause 5 is custom.
    ResolutionX = 1680 <--Your resolution.
    ResolutionY = 1050 <--Your resolution
    settingsInitialized = True <--Put it true.
    ShadowMapResolution = 1 <--Make sure its 1, or even 0
    ShadowMode = 0 <--IMPORTANT THAT ITS 0
    TerrainDetail = 6 <--Trial and Error.
    TerrainDrawDistance = 3 <--How far you see stuff, have it at the lowest, think its 2.
    TextureQuality = 3 <--Has an effect on older PC's, its the main eye candy of the game along with Anisotropic Filtering, without this it looks like crap.
    VfxCullDistance = 256 <--The addition i mentioned.
    VFXLimit = 10 <--The very very important part, how many spells on screen "Particle Quantity" in game.
    VSyncEnabled = False <--Make sure its false, it causes FPS issues sometimes.
    WindowMode = 2 <--Your choice, i play Fullscreen Windowed.
    Last edited by potis; 2012-01-20 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    This right here is your issue (although if you have no other recourse the steps potis outlines above will help a little).

With Nvidia, anything lower than GTX x60 (where x = series, like 560, 460, 260 etc) is pretty much for playing indie games, or games made at least half a dozen years ago. Anything below this, 550's, 525's, 240's, whatever, avoid. GTS and GT models are usually budget cards too, avoid.

I had a GTX 260 until a week ago, and I could run RIFT with most settings on High and get 25-35fps easily. If the model number ends in 60 or higher, it's a powerhouse. Check my sig, you will note both my PC and my laptop follow this theme, both are GTX 560 models.

If you can at all arrange it, return or sell the GTX 545 and get a GTX 560 (if possible the GTX 560 Ti model) which is roughly 2.5 times as powerful and will open your eyes to the beauty of gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    This right here is your issue (although if you have no other recourse the steps potis outlines above will help a little).

With Nvidia, anything lower than GTX x60 (where x = series, like 560, 460, 260 etc) is pretty much for playing indie games, or games made at least half a dozen years ago. Anything below this, 550's, 525's, 240's, whatever, avoid. GTS and GT models are usually budget cards too, avoid.

I had a GTX 260 until a week ago, and I could run RIFT with most settings on High and get 25-35fps easily. If the model number ends in 60 or higher, it's a powerhouse. Check my sig, you will note both my PC and my laptop follow this theme, both are GTX 560 models.

If you can at all arrange it, return or sell the GTX 545 and get a GTX 560 (if possible the GTX 560 Ti model) which is roughly 2.5 times as powerful and will open your eyes to the beauty of gaming
    Thanks I will keep that in mind for when I have enough money for my next graphics card .

Note to self always go higher then 560....

Yea, Rift is sorta unkind to less than powerful machines. Looks like the GPU is the bottle neck. Are you running in window or fullscreen?

ObjectDrawDistance = 145 <--Really important, this causes FPS drops, cause it draws stuff you cant see at some places, its good to have it around 100 thought for instances.
    It is at 80 for me, should I set it to 145?

---------- Post added 2012-01-20 at 04:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, Rift is sorta unkind to less than powerful machines. Looks like the GPU is the bottle neck. Are you running in window or fullscreen?
    Fullscreen

Edit: I am sitting at 45-50 fps in IPP just by myself not much action going on, meridian I can get around 25 fps. Though the game still seems choppy whenever I turn or something.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-20 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I am at a lose here....

- I have lowest graphic setting
    - Ran ccleaner
    - Rift is the only game installed on my computer
    - Defraged my computer
    - Running game booster
    - Set rifts priority in task manager to high
    - Downloaded latest driver
    - Bought a new graphics card (other one died)

Yet I still can't get above 20 fps in rift. Every time I move its all choppy and not running smoothly.

system model: XpS 360i
    Intel core 2 quad cpu q8200 ~2.3 GHz
    8192 MB of ram

Nothing is running in the background while playing rift. Can someone help?
    you said you have the lowest graphic setting, but did you check the box "low quality renderer"... its actually pretty good graphics all things considered. I use this setting when I play on my laptop. usually get 15-30 fps, sometimes more, but its a good 15 fps and not choppy. only have a problem during boss fights with all the spell effects (and you can turn off "player hit effects" as well)

I tried scrolling all the video settings to minimum and it was somewhat choppy, but low quality rendered makes a big difference. I'll try to think of other options in case you already use that setting.
    Last edited by Runintowalls; 2012-01-20 at 05:37 AM.

I am afraid you will need to spend some $ upgrading your computer. Rift is a heavy game with amazing graphics and you need a good computer.