10+ Year Old Account

Post Mirrors, little girls & shock movies

Call me a wuss, but I'm highly scared of horror-shock movies. I think it's a deeper problem than just being scared of them

If I remember correctly then it started when I was around 6-7 and toyed around with my mom's doll that my grand-grandmother had made for her, one day I looked deeply into the eye (The doll is kind of like this, but it's not of stone, I couldn't find a proper greenlandic doll on google since most greenlandic people are isolated in terms of internet http://goo.gl/UIYzs) for like a solid 5-15 seconds which felt like years, in the end I just threw the doll all the way away from the living room to the kitchen, I just got a huge shock and due to my immaturity around the age 7-9 I kept whining about it which made my mom throw her precious doll out.

When I was around 13-14 I got the first FEAR game, I played around for abit, when I got a shock from seeing the little girl (honestly didn't expect her to come so early in the game) I imediately quit the game and uninstalled it. Starting my fear of little girls with black hair.

From 14-17 I watched a couple of horror movies:
    Kollegiet (Not many people know about this, since it's a danish movie, it's about a girl who recently moves into one of those college houses, and it's haunted.
    Somehow, ages ago. A dead college student's soul was trapped into a mirror when she was killed by her boyfriend and she got the power to warp into any room in the college with a mirror.) Which made me start my fear against looking at mirrors.
    http://youtu.be/RuqM1WGEjWo

Some old movie which I can't remember the name of, it's of some asylum/hospital.
    The Ring
    The grudge & the grudge 2
    All of these grew my fear against mirrors and little girls.

A recent link in the Video games section of a shock-comic hit me again, the image is stuck in my head whenever I close my eyes trying to sleep.

Do bear in mind all of the movies I watched was years, years ago. I think The Grudge was the first of those I saw and I still can't get the scenes out of my head. I'm 17 and can't sleep with the lights off, avoiding all mirrors I see or be alone in big houses. (My parents bought a huge house in Denmark with 4 bedrooms, 2 toilets, a huge living room and kitchen) Other shock movies like Paranormal activity and such didn't make any marks in my head after I watched all of them, some even made me laugh.

Considering it's years ago I last watched an horror movie and they're still in my head this day, do you think it's some kind of problem?

I know I should contact someone about this but there really isn't anyone in Greenland that can support me with such stuff.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Face your fears, say fuck it and sleep with the lights off. When i was little i used to have a problem with my dad snoring in the next room, i would close his door but could still hear it, i didnt want to close my door because then i would be in darkness, this lead to me sleeping with both doors closed but with a light on which obviously increased electric bills and made me feel like a pussy. One night i closed both doors and turned my lights off and made a promise that i wouldnt open my eyes if i heard a noise (which was the main fear), i didnt and when i fell asleep i felt like a boss in the morning.

Really did help and now i actually cant sleep in anything but pitch black, most of the time i end up sleeping with my head buried in pillows so i cant really see anything, back then i couldnt have done that for a million pounds :P

I have the exact same fear as you. I would almost go as far as to say it is a phobia.

When the Ring came out, I didn't know what the movie was about. My boyfriend, best friend, and I had gone out to the movies and whatever one we had gone to see was sold out, so we decided to see the Ring instead.

Within the first 10 minutes I was absolutely terrified.

That night, and for a month or longer afterward, I couldn't sleep without the lights on, but the terror didn't end there. When I had my first son, I had severe post-partum depression with psychosis. I was an insomniac for about 3 months because when I slept I would have extreme nightmares. Because of my lack of sleep, I started seeing things. The image that most often haunted me was the girl from the Ring. It was the most horrifying three months of my life.

I went to psychiatrists and my doctor and they prescribed anti-anxiety medicine, but no one really understood how I could be so affected by a movie.

I still have the fear of little girls like that. I've tried to cure myself of it by watching the scary clips over and over to desensitize myself. I've tried watching the movies that make fun of the scary ones. I've tried looking up the people that played the little girls to humanize them. I've tried imagining them coming after me but falling over. I've even gone so far as to create an imaginary guardian in my head that fends off my fears.

It's been many years that I've lived with this fear. I'm not nearly as phobic as I once was, but I still have times when I get freaked out. Especially since I'm now a single mom and I know there's no one here to protect my children except me. I suppose that has helped me most of all, knowing that I would never let anything happen to my kids. I use that as strength against all of my fears, especially this one.

Good luck, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one freaked out like this.

/hugs
    Don't look at me with that tone of voice

You'd think that after maxing fishing I might be able to hit the fishing node within the first 20 casts. ._.

Get in touch with reality and rationality. Those are movies and games, not things that can possibly happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Get in touch with reality and rationality. Those are movies and games, not things that can possibly happen in real life.
    That may be true, but for me, and perhaps the OP, these images seemed to touch on and awaken an almost primal terror. I knew it didn't make sense to be so afraid of something so obviously fake, and yet I was anyway. I personally think there's more to it than what's on the surface; perhaps something in the subconscious mind.
    Don't look at me with that tone of voice

You'd think that after maxing fishing I might be able to hit the fishing node within the first 20 casts. ._.

You can't get stuff out of your head unless you actually have a certain part of your brain removed or something crazy at least, it might not stay in fresh memories, but it'll keep knocking in the back of your head, it's normal. Also Kollegiet is more of a take on trying to create a wannabe-Japanese shock-horror movie.

I watched the late news when I was like 6 years old. It was about women being murdered. One was chopped to pieces and put in a bag.
    Sure I was scared for... one night or something but I got over it.
    If you're scared for months, you should get help.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ck301 View Post
    I'll just leave this here..
    Watching this movie now it's more hilarious than scary : /

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    If you're scared for months, you should get help.
    Normally I'd say not needed, but if at this age you can't separate movies from reality instinctively... I dunno, maybe help is needed.

Now that I think about it I might be able to share some insight after all.

While I was young I was afraid of the dark. My family has a kennel and when I was given my own dog to have in my
    room I stopped being scared. Solution to all fear: Get a dog. Preferrably a small, cuddly one that can sleep next to you. But big ones can also be kind

They are man's best friend for a reason!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisken View Post
    I still have the fear of little girls like that. I've tried to cure myself of it by watching the scary clips over and over to desensitize myself. I've tried watching the movies that make fun of the scary ones. I've tried looking up the people that played the little girls to humanize them. I've tried imagining them coming after me but falling over. I've even gone so far as to create an imaginary guardian in my head that fends off my fears.

Good luck, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one freaked out like this.

/hugs
    Thank you for your post, I've imagined them falling over too, but everytime it happened their face just popped back on my head.
    Same with watching the clips over and over again.

Now that I think about it, I used to have nightmares of different kinds, one of them was that girl from the ring, I was in my own room so my parents couldn't hear me moving around and small noises, I ended up banging my head into the radiator that night, leaving a scar in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    Now that I think about it I might be able to share some insight after all.

While I was young I was afraid of the dark. My family has a kennel and when I was given my own dog to have in my
    room I stopped being scared. Solution to all fear: Get a dog. Preferrably a small, cuddly one that can sleep next to you. But big ones can also be kind

They are man's best friend for a reason!
    I used to have one, but he never wanted to be in my room. When I brought him in he always started walking into the living room.

Also the fact that someone who was visiting our country was living next door, she didn't tell the people she lived with she could get some kind of seizure randomly and ended up drowning when she took a bath.

Whenever I'm in my room and I close my eyes, sometimes when I'm gaming I can feel there's a person in the corner of my room, it's a girl in a white dress. I tried putting a TV where she is, but it only made me feel like she's at the door now.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-01-22 at 12:29 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I just avoid watching horror movies and prevent anyone in my family owning the kind of dolls who's eyes seem to follow you

you know the kind.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-01-22 at 05:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I just avoid watching horror movies and prevent anyone in my family owning the kind of dolls who's eyes seem to follow you
    Me too.

Got a creepy-ish story about that though. My brother and his friend went to a school that the friend was going to enroll in. They stayed a couple days down there, and for whatever reason, they bought a Furby. This was around the time they were just getting popular. Well, wherever they were sleeping, the put the Furby on top of the TV, so it was facing the beds. In the middle of the night, one of them woke up, and the Furby's eyes were open and seemed to be staring at it. If you've ever seen a Furby, it's not the most enjoyable sight to see in the dark. Creepy.