WoW and recording video

I suspect this is probably a problem with my computer, rather than one of the programs. When I first got my computer I was able to record video in wow on all ultra settings perfectly fine. I would go into BGs record on full screen with sound and still have 50-60fps, including AV at the start. However, recently it drops my fps to 5-6. No idea why. Here are my specs.

Intel i5 2500k @4.4Ghz
    8GB DDR3 RAM @1600Mhz
    EVGA GTX460 SE
    Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB HDD

1) Are you recording to the same hdd wow is on?
    2) Have you got the latest version of fraps
    3) Have you tried recording at a lower set fps e.g 30, but having the frame rate unlocked (Any higher is partially useless if you're uploading it to YouTube)

Yes. I only have 1 HDD.
    I've got X-Fire, not fraps.
    I am recording at 30fps now and was then.

I would normally point at the hdd as the problem but since you were using only 1 before I'm not so sure.

Pc wise if your fps is fine without recording it should be similar while recording or at least is the case with fraps as long as you don't get hdd bottlenecked. I don't really have any experience with X-fire maybe someone else will have some more ideas.

guess your hdd is getting kinda full. look how much space you have left, in some cases that's the problem.

another guess is that xfire got updated and the update messed something up within its video-recording-code. if that's the case you will simply have to go with an other recording software.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    guess your hdd is getting kinda full. look how much space you have left, in some cases that's the problem.

another guess is that xfire got updated and the update messed something up within its video-recording-code. if that's the case you will simply have to go with an other recording software.
    I have 393GB left as after recording, I simply move the files so I don't fill up my HDD, that or upload them to youtube and then delete them on my HDD. I don't think I updated, as the last one was over a month ago.

Where would I go to download an older version? I can't find their directory for the files.
    Last edited by Eon Drache; 2012-01-20 at 03:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is your WoW set to DirectX 11 mode? If so, Xfire is still incompatible with it. Personally, I use Ustream for live streaming ever since the DX11 issues with Xfire and fraps for local capture. I believe Ustream has a local capture mode, as well.

[edit: I take that back. Apparently, I haven't been following Xfire in the past few months. They added experimental support in v1.140, back in October. I'd still swap back to DX9 (if you're on DX11 in WoW) and see if you still have the performance degradation.]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2012-01-20 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Is your WoW set to DirectX 11 mode? If so, Xfire is still incompatible with it. Personally, I use Ustream for live streaming ever since the DX11 issues with Xfire and fraps for local capture. I believe Ustream has a local capture mode, as well.

[edit: I take that back. Apparently, I haven't been following Xfire in the past few months. They added experimental support in v1.140, back in October. I'd still swap back to DX9 (if you're on DX11 in WoW) and see if you still have the performance degradation.]
    Playing with DX9. I downloaded Fraps just to see if it was xfire or wow that was doing badly, and fraps recorded with 135 fps. I posted on X-fire forums to see if I could maybe get some help there.