Deleted

Graphics Card upgrade advice?

ATM my computer is starting to struggle with 25man groups normally in AoE phases(zon'ozz when everybody is grouped is one of them). its getting to the point sometimes where its becoming jerky and difficult to play. I've tried turning down the graphics for 25man but it doesnt seem to improve the performance that much

I have now http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...00_gtx_us.html

its been a pretty good card but since I've had it I've noticed it really struggles when shadows and sunshafts are turned on. normally these are on low. with swtor it also gets very hot, I have to take the side panel off to keep it cool.

was looking at some benchmarking sites to look at the best ones for the kind of price range I want and these where some of the ones I was looking at

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...685oc-1gd.html

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...nov-560oc.html

what I really wanna know is whether you think its worth upgrading from what I have, or should I wait a bit longer? and If I did which card would be best for roughly £100-£150.
    maybe should consider upgrading my memory more with the 64bit client coming?

spec atm is:-

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

my mobo: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870-C45.html#?div=Detail

I think my board supports DDR3 memory, these are DDR5, would this effect the performance at all?

any helpfull advice would be great.
    Last edited by mmocc038b4e990; 2012-01-20 at 05:39 PM.

I would go for GTX 560Ti, but i can tell you that i have way better rig than your and during ultraxion or any aoe have encounter my fps going down and im gettin some kind of lag. WoW engine seems old and it doesn't scale well with rig upgrades.

Deleted
    You can get a 6870 for that money, which is better than both cards you linked.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...687a-zhfc.html (for example)

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Typically, if you turn down graphics and it does not improve your performance, then you can rule out it being a graphics issue, and is likely a processing one. If you've narrowed it down to being in 25 man aoe situations, you may want to look at your addons, namely dps meters, as the likely culprit.

Also, the type of memory on the card does not have anything to do with what your board supports, the VRAM will be GDDR5 for graphics memory, your board supports DDR3 RAM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Typically, if you turn down graphics and it does not improve your performance, then you can rule out it being a graphics issue, and is likely a processing one. If you've narrowed it down to being in 25 man aoe situations, you may want to look at your addons, namely dps meters, as the likely culprit.

Also, the type of memory on the card does not have anything to do with what your board supports, the VRAM will be GDDR5 for graphics memory, your board supports DDR3 RAM.
    it is a bit of an improvement but its still a bit jerky with them lower. I leave the spell effects up because normally I can't see clouds and stuff to avoid if its down too low.
    with the dps meters I have turned off recount sync and turned off all of the blizzard combat logs, in most 25man encounters it seems to work fine its just mainly when the group is heavily grouped up and using alot of AoE healing etc, so Im fairly confident its not the logs anyway.
    I don't know much about DDR, thanks for tips :P

thanks for suggestions so far anyways, i'll have a good look at the 6870

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidou View Post
    it is a bit of an improvement but its still a bit jerky with them lower. I leave the spell effects up because normally I can't see clouds and stuff to avoid if its down too low.
    with the dps meters I have turned off recount sync and turned off all of the blizzard combat logs, in most 25man encounters it seems to work fine its just mainly when the group is heavily grouped up and using alot of AoE healing etc, so Im fairly confident its not the logs anyway.
    I don't know much about DDR, thanks for tips :P

thanks for suggestions so far anyways, i'll have a good look at the 6870
    What resolution are you running?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    What resolution are you running?
    running 1680x1050 atm, is the highest my monitor can go