Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Would you trade your current life?

Imagine you could hook yourself up to a machine which allows you to enter a realm which you have previously programed youself. You could be anything. A mage, rockstar, movie star, Son Goku. Whatever. Everything, absolutely everything would be possible.

Your real self would be kept alive by the machine itself. Your real body wouldn't feel pain, never get sick and the only way of dying would be due to old age. On the one hand, nobody could ever enter your dream as it's a closed system, but on the other hand, you would be forced to break every communication with the "real world".

Waking up would be impossible. Once you have entered the dream, you cannot escape anymore and you lose all knowlegde about the outer world. You would not be aware of the fact that this is only a dream. This way, you would feel no sorrow for leaving all your friends and family behind.

But again, within the dream your possibilities are unlimitied. Everything you programed beforehand is a rule that will be obeyed. (ofc, for the sake of simpleness, a lot of things are pre-programed...)

Well, to be 100% honest... I would do it. The benefits of such a new life are just too great and if I look into my own future, I don't think that I will be able to do 100% of the stuff I've always wanted to do. Enter space? Nope. Be able to fly freely? Nope. Be the wealthiest person alive? Nope. Have some important influence on the daily life of others worldwide? Nope. Have Megan Fox as your wife? Nope.

Too bad such a machine will not be invented in my lifetime... I should go and plant a lemon tree

10+ Year Old Account
    These types of ideas and discussions usually dont end well. It usually derails into escapist/realist debates and flamefests nonstop on what should be done in the proper case of defining true "existence" there will be many for and against this type of idea, since it blurs the line between what is real, and what can/will/become real if someone were to undergo such a process.

that being said, i believe we live this life for a purpose, however damned this world may be, I feel there is a reason behind it other than the machinations of mankind.

And no, you are not allowed to disprove me, as it is stated opinion, anything you claim as a fact is irrelevant because you yourself cannot prove it nor support such claims at all. Basic Psychology, there is no such thing as definitive proof.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    you must be like the dumbest person in germany, and that's saying something. it aint easy to achieve that in a country full of drooling imbeciles with an iq of a water plant.

you sir take the cake! there ya go! something to be proud of, finally!

User infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-01-20 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Creating a perfect world for yourself only sounds almost as close to hell as I can imagine in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    These types of ideas and discussions usually dont end well. It usually derails into escapist/realist debates and flamefests nonstop on what should be done in the proper case of defining true "existence" there will be many for and against this type of idea, since it blurs the line between what is real, and what can/will/become real if someone were to undergo such a process.

that being said, i believe we live this life for a purpose, however damned this world may be, I feel there is a reason behind it other than the machinations of mankind.

And no, you are not allowed to disprove me, as it is stated opinion, anything you claim as a fact is irrelevant because you yourself cannot prove it nor support such claims at all. Basic Psychology, there is no such thing as definitive proof.
    Let's hope it doesn't and no, I would have never tried to disprove you. You cannot disprove an opinion... (I always hated it when teachers started to grade my opinion in an exam)

Quote Originally Posted by Carazy View Post
    Creating a perfect world for yourself only sounds almost as close to hell as I can imagine in the long run.
    You are not the only one who would be able to do so. Every person in this world would be given the chance to create his own realm.
    For me, it is much more of a hell to be forced to live the life others (read: politicans) force onto me.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-01-20 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would and it would be great. Normal life sucks and every day is the same no matter who you are and what you do. All life is a circle - make money, spend money, repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Let's hope it doesn't and no, I would have never tried to disprove you. You cannot disprove an opinion... (I always hated it when teachers started to grade my opinion in an exam)
    I wasn't necessarily talking directly to you OP, but to the people who will try and chime in on this thread and try to bring religion into it. It annoys me when people try to force their opinion on what exists and doesn't when they have no support or claims to back up their statements.

And as I said, there is no such thing as Facts or Proof, there is only support for or against a theory.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't go into that machine, I want to live my life.

Deleted
    Wouldn't do it. None of it would be real so it would be void of any meaning.

I'd totally reroll as Son Goku.

Id totally go as Goku, never make a child... Never to have anyone stronger than me. Then I start my rape adventure, it´s like a Pokémon & Dragonball theme.

In all seriousnes tho. Yes, I would do that, real life sucks when you have gravity and shit like that.

Deleted
    No.

If I wanted to change my life, I would do it. Which I did already.

Quited smoking after 15 years with 20 fags a day.
    Started losing weight - Went from 115 kg to 91 in 2 months.
    Raised my grades at my study from B- to A.

Still playing WoW. If I wanted to quit, I would do it.

But well. Being a Pokémon would hurt for a day

Oh god yes, please, where do I sign ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, unless my girlfriend decides to break up with me.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Wouldn't do it. None of it would be real so it would be void of any meaning.
    But isn't the OP's point that you would think it's real, so you wouldn't know the difference, once you entered the (Matrix) new world.

Intriguing idea, and one that might come to fruition sooner than we think.

Nope, being someone else would most likely change those around me and I am happy with the people I have currently surrounded myself with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But isn't the OP's point that you would think it's real, so you wouldn't know the difference, once you entered the (Matrix) new world.
    Thinking it's real doesn't make it real....

Deleted
    The day you can live virtually is the day the world ends.

Some people have made smart quotes like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell yes i would, i would not even hesitate. The world we live in now i find it just boring and pointless. At least in my dream i could mean something and won't have to deal with idiots that waste space in our world.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Hell yes i would, i would not even hesitate. The world we live in now i find it just boring and pointless. At least in my dream i could mean something and won't have to deal with idiots that waste space in our world.
    Ironically, those idiots you left behind for your dream world would be the only ones left to prevent your life support from failing.

Living in a dream is one thing, leaving your living essence and body to rot without being able to do anything about it is another