Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    you can see evolution of the lighsaber from a heavy, two-hand, samurai sword-like weapon to a lighter, agile, one-hand, katana-like blade.
    So you're comparing... the same thing to the same thing?, you must be confused.

Atleast specify what the hell you're talking about, like daito -> katana evolution
    Last edited by KevyB; 2012-01-21 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    This is pretty much what happens. The Jedi tend to keep their sabers charged pretty low iirc. Sith like the blood though.
    Would this not be the other way around? High intensity cauterizing the wound and low intensity keeping it bleeding?

10+ Year Old Account
    How is a lightsaber controlled with the force..? Doesn't General Grievous use four lightsabers without problem?
    Not all force users are jedi/sith. I believe grievous was a jedi hunter, and he had an actual living brain on a robot body (as mentioned on clone wars). But correct me if im wrong.
    That doesnt make a lot of sense if you consider that they claimed he couldnt use the force at all (which i believe its bullshit to make him hate the jedi even more).
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2012-01-21 at 04:30 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    If you watch closely through episodes IV-VI you can see evolution of the lighsaber from a heavy, two-hand, samurai sword-like weapon to a lighter, agile, one-hand, katana-like blade. That could have been a function of Luke's increasing proficiency though, since it was katana-like in episodes I-III.
    That has more to do with the fact that a lightsaber has elements of both heavy swords and smaller fencing rapiers.

Fencing rapiers are very light weight, not very durable, long, and lethal with a good solid poke or two between layers of armor. You keep your enemy at bay less by parrying/deflecting his attacks with your own weapon (for fear of breaking your own weapon), and more by dodging, threatening lethality with your own weapon, and creating/keeping distance (not over committing).

Heavy swords are heavy unweildy, very durable, not as (most real life swords) long as rapiers, and slightly less lethal because you can't as easily piece between layers of armor. You keep your enemy at bay by parrying/deflecting his own heavy sword with your sword or armor and because of its (and your armors) weight/less penetration is harder to threaten with single lethal blows and create/keep distance.

A lightsaber is both light weight, long and lethal as a rapier and as durable as heavy swords.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-21 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faderaven View Post
    Yes, Lightsabers are an elegant weapon from a more civilized time. Dismemberment must be tidy.
    Well we certainly don't want to mess up the carpet in our ships now do we.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason Jango's head didnt spurt out blood everywhere is because kids watch it...

If they actually made the movie realistic, it would have to be rated at least MA or R (aussie max ratings, not sure about everywhere else) and they would have been pretty gory, especially the latest ones where lightsabers are always killing people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    The reason Jango's head didnt spurt out blood everywhere is because kids watch it...

If they actually made the movie realistic, it would have to be rated at least MA or R (aussie max ratings, not sure about everywhere else) and they would have been pretty gory, especially the latest ones where lightsabers are always killing people
    This ^ 10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    How is a lightsaber controlled with the force..? Doesn't General Grievous use four lightsabers without problem?
    Without sounding too much like a nerd, Grievous was experiemented on using the blood of Master Sifo-Dyas (the guy that ordered the clone troopers, his story was supposed to be told in ep3 but they cut it out)
    So I guess his body has lots of midichlorians (-.-') dunnolol

Does a lightsaber always instantly cauterize the wound?
    Asking this is kind of like asking if a samurai sword always dismembers. Technically the answer is yes but sometimes the sword might get caught on bone and other tissues making you take a second whack at it. XD

Also if it does instantly cauterize how did Han open up the Tauntan
    Cauterization and cutting are completely separate.

10+ Year Old Account
    For all we know, different lightsaber power crystals give different kinds of heat, so say, one that powered Windu's could have been far hotter than someone elses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

How do you control the length of a light saber? It seems like the energy would continue on forever...

Quote Originally Posted by williammark View Post
    How do you control the length of a light saber? It seems like the energy would continue on forever...
    That is one of the properties of the specific fictional crystals used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    For all we know, different lightsaber power crystals give different kinds of heat, so say, one that powered Windu's could have been far hotter than someone elses.
    This. I would imagine that whats inside the lightsaber can modify it to either cauterize the wound or completely tear up the tissue. In kotor as I recall when putting crystals inside lightsabers some crystals would say that they vibrate violently while others simply pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    Given the variance in power crystals from the KOTOR games (Ionic based ones that do extra damage to droids, Electrical (not to be confused with Ion!), Burning, and hell, even one that did Cold damage!), this could lead to ALOT of differing lightsaber wound effects.

I just wish they turned color crystals into strictly graphical things, and brought in power crystals to replace them, that gave different effects ALONG with a stat bonus. That would be cool.

How do you control the length of a lightsaber? It seems like the energy would continue on forever...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqeez View Post
    Without sounding too much like a nerd, Grievous was experiemented on using the blood of Master Sifo-Dyas (the guy that ordered the clone troopers, his story was supposed to be told in ep3 but they cut it out)
    So I guess his body has lots of midichlorians (-.-') dunnolol
    Yes but many MANY other none Force users have used lightsabres...

Quote Originally Posted by williammark View Post
    How do you control the length of a lightsaber? It seems like the energy would continue on forever...
    Someone answered you above.

and to the OP. thanks for asking this question, kinda wondered, but just assumed it depended on how fast the slice was, intensity of the blade it's self and how large the blood supply is to that area.

and the question about the stab wound missing all vital organs and possibility to heal up. I think it would probably heal as a large scar throughout the body, but perhaps one could place some sort of metal tube to keep it from closing up :O
    "Mitt Romney is a lot like the band Nickelback. They sell a lot of records but I don’t know anybody that has one."

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Who knows, they don't exist.
    The lore exsists so it shoul.d be within the bounds of what we can find out

I'm assuming no. Mainly because the movies that we watched were PG or PG13, and it would have a big impact on its sucess if it was limited to an R rated movie.

It's the exact same reason why in the TOR cinimatics that people's limbs don't get cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    A lightsaber is controlled with the force. So if someone chooses to not cauterize then it probably won't.
    This is a common misconception.

Basic use of the Force doesn't determine how a lightsaber works (blade length, heat, precise application, etc). That's all determined by the lightsaber's construction (which, in fairness, involves a force ritual to make sure everything's bound properly, but that's a one time thing). Lightsabers require use of the force because they're so unwieldy - all the weight is in the handle, which also has gyroscopic pieces to throw that weight from side to side, front to back, within the handle.

Engaging in melee combat also means necessarily limiting your field of vision and, in most cases, any form of cover. Your only way to protect yourself against a blaster bolt is to use your sword to block or deflect it; the Force helps you do that by allowing you to anticipate and counter attacks. It also helps augment your speed, strength, and endurance, making you a more effective fighter but also causing a "power creep" that is the difference between what might otherwise be an equal match between a Jedi Knight and a Sith Lord.

The Force is integral to lightsaber combat. That doesn't mean the Force gives you absolute control over lightsaber combat (unless you're someone like Yoda, Luke, Satele, Vader, or Caedus, and even then, only sometimes).