Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    just rebook and try again after some practice no big deal.

my first time i did pretty well but the guy thought i didnt yield to a vehicle i thought was far eough away. i just rebooked and passed with flying colors

In my town, they have literally never passed anyone on the first try. Why you may ask? The 90 dollar fee the office gets for every test. If everyone has to take two? They get double the money!

Follow the money my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    In my town, they have literally never passed anyone on the first try. Why you may ask? The 90 dollar fee the office gets for every test. If everyone has to take two? They get double the money!

I don't like assuming conspiracies, but this doesn't seem too unlikely.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

most examinators are completetly frustrated dicks! im sorry but its true
    and ofc the money you have to pay to take the exam again.

i was lucky with my exam tbh.. i saw how they treated other people and gave no excuse :\

so unless you did something bad or obvious have NO DOUBTS. $$MONEY€€

10+ Year Old Account
    5 pages in, and I haven't read anything, but the thinking is:
    -If this kid isn't going to follow a simple rule in front of me, how is he going to drive when my eyes aren't on him?

Remember, you're driving a machine with the power to kill and injure people. You must treat it as such, and understand all the rules of the road. Granted, it seems very few people actually think that way. It helps keep me on the level when I drive.

I failed twice for stupid fucking reasons too, £120 down the drain. First time I failed to indicate turning right while in a right hand only lane about as i was turning into the test center to finish. The second time I didn't undertake a car that was pulling turning right into a petrol station and just waited behind it for about 15-20secs. 3rd time I passed I actually fucked up my reverse parking and was outside the white line and still passed I swear they must have a quota of people to fail so that they make more money retesting people.

The reason you failed, although because of your actions was because of your attitude.

You said yourself in the OP that "no-one cares about pedestrians trying to cross a busy road". Well, I'm certain the family would if you ran them down because you thought it was not worth waiting for them.

The laws are there for a reason, the instructor was 100% right to fail you. Learn from this and give more respect to those pedestrians, as with it you'd be driving instead of still being a pedestrian yourself :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    5 pages in, and I haven't read anything, but the thinking is:
    -If this kid isn't going to follow a simple rule in front of me, how is he going to drive when my eyes aren't on him?
    Better, since his driving won't be affected by stress?

Just kidding.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post

Are the tests privatized where do you live? As in, does some company profit from it? Where I'm from, the provincial government runs and administers the tests. There is no company that profits from it, and the people that work there have nothing to gain by failing. Actually, being a government branch, they run with minimal resources, and end up having a huge waiting list of kids getting tested. It's not that they will pass a kid just to alleviate the line up, but I'm just further illustrating that there is no gain from having people fail.

a) I believe driving tests are already too easy to pass with the number of idiots driving around.
    b) At your test, always always play it safe. You should have waited for the pedestrian even if he was still 10 meters away from the corner.
    c) Good luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    Are the tests privatized where do you live? As in, does some company profit from it? Where I'm from, the provincial government runs and administers the tests. There is no company that profits from it, and the people that work there have nothing to gain by failing. Actually, being a government branch, they run with minimal resources, and end up having a huge waiting list of kids getting tested. It's not that they will pass a kid just to alleviate the line up, but I'm just further illustrating that there is no gain from having people fail.
    Here in Austria (at least where I live), the driving school itself gets about 100€ per attempt.
    So, there definitely would be a reason to let people fail at least once.

I mean, the examiners don't work for the driving schools inherently, but still...they know each other quite well.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2012-01-21 at 09:34 PM.

Just as an FYI to some in this thread; driving test is radically different in the USA(and much less thorough) than it is in most of Europe. Remember this is an international forum. I was astounded how little was tested during my test in the US compared to the UK one.

And just for comparison's sake; vehicles have right of way on UK Pelican crossings when lights are green, pedestrians have priority on them at all other times and all the time on zebra crossings. Pedestrians do not have the right to cross in front of oncoming traffic when not at a crossing, but if they do so it is the vehicles responsibility to stop regardless(obviously). There is also no enforced jaywalking law here. Belgium may differ, I know the USA is quite different also.
    Last edited by Axi; 2012-01-21 at 09:38 PM.

When I took my driver license, (the big final driving test), I actually almost drove over a bicyclist!!
    And i Still passed.

But the thing with the bicyclist, he came over the part where people can walk/cross the road (pedestrian crossway?) VERY fast, from out of nowhere almost.
    Bicyclist are supposed to go off heir bikes and walk over when cars are crossing, this guy did not, he didn't even care about the traffic crossing. O_o.
    Even the guy who was giving me this exam didn't see him before he was in front of the car, I saw him first luckily, so I manage to hit the brakes just before my exam teacher could brake on his pedals.
    We both gasped, and drove on, not much else we could do about it since the bicyclist was long gone right after. :P

At the end, he told me I had good speed adjustments, especially before pedestrian crossover/walks-tingies.
    I was driving a bit to slow on the speedway (not much really), I "excused" it because of the car, I'm not familiar with driving this car.
    And he told me that despite the incident with the (stupid) bicyclist, I passed the test. Because I did things correctly and I reacted correctly on reflex.
    ( Since even the exam guy didn't see that damn bicyclist, I got "credit" for reacting before he did. )

So I was very happy about it of course, but if he would have failed me, I would understand and not be upset really.

In the case of OP, depends on how far away/close the pedestrian was, but your exam guy knows his job (I hope) and judges things according to safety for both the driver and pedestrians.
    Sucks to fail because of such a "small" thing, but this is actually a big important thing.
    The lifes of any people are important, I've seen both idiot drivers who put other cars at danger, and pedestrians who also walk/run like retards crossing the road in traffic. :P In either case I question on how the driver actually got his license to begin with. :P (Or sometimes even if the pedestrians should have a licence to walk or not, haha.) Bicyclist in traffic is another story, most of them have a death wish IMO. :P

So I think the driver license should be more strict/harder to get actually, or maybe harder to keep?
    (To ensure that we get less idiots in traffic.)

I passed my driving test on the first go. I stopped at red lights, drove at or below the speed limit, and didn't attempt to run over any pedestrians.

Follow in my footsteps, and you too shall achieve greatness!

(Side note: If you're an Aussie - Don't book between 8-10 am and 2-4pm, and avoid having to face the insta-fail 40 zones.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    He was right. Pedestrians always have the right away.

That, to me, is a lot more important than not using a turn signal or doing a rolling stop.

Well it's your decision but if your not worried about getting hit at a 3way stop because you decided to cost into the stopsign instead of hitting your breaks and using your turn signal, that is your choice.

However it would also put you at fault for the incident meaning you get to pay the repairs/doctor bills of the other party as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I failed my test for "driving too slow"

It was so stupid. It was a two way one lane street. A truck stopped in front of me to unload and a car was coming down the other lane. My idiot instructor says "you should have made a lane change"

Dumbass. There was a CAR IN THE OTHER LANE. Of course I had to stop.
    Putin khuliyo

I'll just say it took me 3 tries to pass my exam. Just learn from it and move on. You'll get it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by passetto View Post
    i don't know who you think you are but if i was crossing the road and you flew by me id probably take your licence plate down and call the cops. when you get a knock on the door from the police arresting you, you will ask your self why. and then you'll see my face and know that you get what you deserve..
    You can't just call the cops and tell them someone violated a minor traffic law, your own word wouldn't be enough to ticket someone let alone arrest them.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's impossible to say without having been there. Any time you cross a place where pedestrians walk, you need to be aware of the surroundings (which you of course always should be) and make judgement calls whether you should stop or drive.

It sounds to like you might have driven a bit aggressively at that spot, but I might be completely off. Like I said, impossible to say without having been there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StormiNL View Post
    1 small misstake shouldn't make you fail, its just realy BS why can't they do like 5 misstakes and you failed..
    Haven't had driving lessons yet but....

Wild guess: they don't want people to die. Just wild guess though.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-01-22 at 02:24 PM.