Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jotad4 View Post
    Uh... if more than 70% of congress supported it, why wouldn't it have passed? Care to enlighten me?
    Normalcy Bias : it's never happened before so it can't happen.

Just wait til it does happen and all these "oh well its to stop pirates" people are going to eat their own socks... unless the main stream media tells them not to of course.

The funny thing is the sites that these boneheaded acts of legislation most threaten are ones such as Youtube.

I know why major media giants fear Youtube though; the fact that it's the future of entertainment. People are less inclined to go out to the movies when there is a lifetime worth of entertaining content on sites like Youtube (FREE OF CHARGE). The stars of the future are self published "nobodies" who can draw in millions of viewers and make an honest living off of advertising revenues without charging anybody a penny.

It's something that network television and Hollywood don't have a chance in hell of competing with in the years to come. Yes there will still be a place for big budget Hollywood flicks in the future, but it won't be as big. The feature film is quickly becoming the occasional novelty in a world ripe with free (yet profitable) amateur entertainment.

Advertisers are naturally all about "how many people are going to see this." and the various "Youtube partners" are quickly becoming the greatest medium for their works. Why roll the dice on whether somebody will change the station before your commercial comes on when 1 million views on an individual Youtube video means 1 million people saw your commercial.

Some TV Networks have caught on completely and also generate significant advertising revenue through online viewership, while others either don't offer the same (or are cockblocked from doing so by these international regulations) viewing experience online.

The age of big Hollywood and Cable TV Providers is fast coming to an end. Most Cable TV Providers were smart and got involved providing internet access long ago though. The fact is Hollywood and major record labels are losing money not because of piracy (because there is some validity to the argument that those people weren't going to spend that money in the first place) but because they aren't competing in an age where people have options, and the only way to compete is to offer people more bang for their buck.

I haven't been to a movie theatre in ages and I rarely purchase physical media anymore. I just entertain myself with Youtube and gaming until the movie I want to see airs at a second run cinema where I can see it for a mere couple of dollars. Why? It's just better value, the crowds aren't as big so I don't have to worry about annoying people detracting from the movie experience.

Look at a lot of the "big releases" coming up too and everything is just a remake of something else, or a "Special edition 3d re-release". Most people are smart enough that they don't feel inclined to spend hundreds of dollars on a single movie just to keep up with every "extra extra extra special edition 10 revision 3.11C".

The fact is that in the age of the internet the little guy rules the airwaves. In an age when you can connect to exactly what you want, only what you want and whenever you want Hollywood and big record labels pale in comparison to the endless diversity of amateur movies and music available for free at your finger tips.

They're too lazy to figure out how to capitalize on it and the end result is that they push for draconian legislation in an effort to beat their new-found adversary by "crying to mommy". A lot of Hollywood actors are naturally on board with these abhorrent laws too because this new age also means the end of the 100million dollar movie deal for A list actors; the only real place left for them in this day and age is joining Chuck Norris and William Shatner on the latest World of Warcraft commercial on youtube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna leave this here for all to read...

http://maddox.xmission.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    i thought the EU was heavily against internet censorship?

why do people keep proposing things like this, they will never fully be able to censor the internet, its a waste of time and money even trying

In Swedish when read aloud, 'SOPA' means 'Trash', and 'PIPA' means 'A Pipe'. - As pointed out by The Pirate Bay.

In the same manner, 'ACTA' means 'Watch Out'.

- Who names these bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post

What if you're not a citizen of the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i thought the EU was heavily against internet censorship?

why do people keep proposing things like this, they will never fully be able to censor the internet, its a waste of time and money even trying
    The branch concerned with internet and free speech etc is - hence why it was drafted in secret by a small group of not democratically elected officials

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh. Not again.

It'll end up getting declined as SOPA/PIPA did if enough people are against it, and as it seems people still got their pitchforks out so I'm not worrying too much.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Sigh. Not again.

It'll end up getting declined as SOPA/PIPA did if enough people are against it, and as it seems people still got their pitchforks out so I'm not worrying too much.
    and there will be a new one... and another one... and one after that... Its treating the symptom not the problem

SOPA and PCIPA were both brought to you by the same Lamar Smith(R-TX). Can we honestly just fire this fuckwit already?

The recording thing is pretty hilarious. Do you know how much data passes through the serves of an ISP on a daily basis ? The only thing that they could record is IP/port/data type.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-01-22 at 12:39 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...Why do they keep doing this? This is ridiculous.

the first one I'm a little confused on what about it is causing problems. though less medicine to poor countries is always bad.

the second one is so insane, it should be called the "Big Brother is Watching You" bill!! ffs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiveyoushi View Post
    /sigh...hands are still tired from all the typing I did over SOPA/PIPA. Read in the "theatlantic' article that the bill has 25 co-sponsors already, but I wasnt able to find names. Anyone know who they are? Might as well get to work again... When will this shit end :\

Found them:

Sheila Jackson-Lee [D-TX18]

*source: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1981
    sheila jackson-lee supports it? Heck, that's all i needed to know. It MUST be terrible - that "woman" is insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe 2012 is real, but the cause of death is a revolution against censoring the internet bills. IT HAS BEGUN!

I'm imagining a world where SOPA and the second bill of this list manage to pass...

they scan everything I've ever done on the internet and notice that I once posted something mean about the US government by criticizing these bills! I'M A TERRORIST!

2 days later SWAT members kick down my door and drag me off to indefinite prison without a trial.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-01-22 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    If something like this comes real.... Darknet will welcome everyone^^
    A Underground Web where you dont leave traces behind.

Ugh.
    Seriously, will the government just stop this BS?

Every time a bill get's shot down, they just make up another one as if we won't even notice.
    "SOPA not working? okay let's make PIPA!"
    "PIPA not working? okay let's make ACTA!"
    In a few weeks it'll be
    "ACTA not working? okay let's make *New bill that's the exact same thing*!"

(btw I hate no idea if those are the bills names or the groups against the bills)

Still not worried though. There's no way they can get enough support for this.

Some of the stuff they want done on this bill is impossible for a relatively large ISP.
    The can't record all of the data that passes through their equipment even for an hour. It's too much.
    All they could do is record IPs/ports/traffic type, and I'm pretty sure that this is already done.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-01-22 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post

Heh he makes a good point, all the lounging about on the street yelling that you are mad does absolutely nothing but make you lose out on things. Reminds me of this: