Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Yes I have, and In all the ones i have played you Gather Levels/Perks/Gear. Role-playing games as a genre tend to have your character grow in power throughout.

Games with a Story but not Statistical/player Advancement are Generally Action or FPS.
    So Dungeons and Dragons, by most counts the father of RPGs, is not considered an RPG by you. Once you reach level 20 there you have basically the end of your power advancement. Unless you are in a Monty Hall campaign. Then, you are still playing for things based upon the story. You can gain political power in your world, kill the big baddies threatening the world. But in no way is the game based upon that you continue to upgrade your "gear".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    But in no way is the game based upon that you continue to upgrade your "gear".
    Even to the point that the second Dungeon Master Guide for 4th edition provides rules to do away with gear at all. (Well, at least magic gear, you'll still use a sword or a wand.)
    Resurrected Holy Priest

There are stat-less PnP RPGs as well. As I said, the Warcraft model is more uncommon in MMOs and certainly RPGs.

In a vulgar sense, people just took to calling hotkey MMOs with gear progression "WoW Clones". Very few are however. Typical unsophistication in the video game industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are stat-less PnP RPGs as well. As I said, the Warcraft model is more uncommon in MMOs and certainly RPGs.

In a vulgar sense, people just took to calling hotkey MMOs with gear progression "WoW Clones". Very few are however. Typical unsophistication in the video game industry.
    It seems like human nature to me, no? People will find any reason to hate something, especially if it's remotely close to what has a place in their heart. Take the Crusades as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshun View Post
    It seems like human nature to me, no? People will find any reason to hate something, especially if it's remotely close to what has a place in their heart. Take the Crusades as an example.
    Not the best comparison. The Crusades had lots of other motives besides intolerance.

But it is human nature to group things together, which is where the current misunderstanding comes from.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

A lvl 1 who goes in against a actual lvl 80 will still be at a big disadvantage as the lvl 1 will have a lot less spells than the actual lvl 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    A lvl 1 who goes in against a actual lvl 80 will still be at a big disadvantage as the lvl 1 will have a lot less spells than the actual lvl 80.
    Not really, just about swinging your weapons some times, and while you may be at an disadvantage the first few hours, you should be able to close the gap faily quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Not really, just about swinging your weapons some times, and while you may be at an disadvantage the first few hours, you should be able to close the gap faily quickly.
    How do you work that out? From a lvl 80 with every single spell he can use against a lvl 1 who only has access to his lvl 1 spells.

Deleted
    I believe all skills are available when you join a structured PvP match. So it's all about skill, not who has the most skills unlocked. Could use some confirmation though.

Deleted
    So you would rather have a boring game where you always have to chase the greener grass or a fun game where you can compete from the get-go?

Boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    I believe all skills are available when you join a structured PvP match. So it's all about skill, not who has the most skills unlocked. Could use some confirmation though.
    Yeah I was talking about world PvP sorry if i'm wrong my mistake.

This is true in structured pvp. Obviously someone starting out is going to have less experience than someone who has been pvp-ing for a while, but skill will close that gap like others have said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want my characters to look pretty/cool that's why I will be farming gear at level 80. :3c

There is no world PvP. Everyone is on the same faction.

Deleted
    There is no 'world PvP', they don't want you to grief when you see another player, they want you to be excited upon meeting another player. If you mean WvWvW I think they said that you join with your ''PvE'' gear/skills. Im not sure how it works with levels/side-kicking in WvWvW tbh. But I do know that gaining weapon skills goes extremely fast. Utility/Elite skills might be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    You cannot view this game like you view alot of MMO's out their. You have to play it as you would a Elderscrolls game. Take skyrim for example. If you just play it for the main story then you are going to miss out on all the other intricate pieces that make up the game. There is a reason for the flat leveling curve. They dont want the game to be about getting to the end. They want their game to be about the experiences and exploration throughout the game.

This is also why there is no gear progression. Gear progression trivializes the content the better the gear gets. Alot of players coming from a background where the gear has a huge impact on how you play will always feel challenged in guild wars 2 and thats a good thing. I dont know if you played WoW but when cataclysm launched i had a lot of trouble with the heroic dungeons when we first entered. And that was a fun experience, learning the fights and learning from mistakes, the fights were fun. But after raiding for a month those same dungeons lost their luster and became stale and old because they were not challenging anymore and were annoying to have to complete. I didnt feel engaged in the combat and fights were over in a minute or so.

The incentive for getting gear at level 80 will all be about how the gear looks more than how the gear improves my damage. What keeps you playing this game is the same thing that keeps you playing games like Skyrim which is the open dynamic world that is constantly changing where around every corner theirs undiscovered dungeons and in every town their is someone that needs help, and there are organizations sending you out on epic quests.

If you cant play a game for the experience then what are you playing it for? I play for the story btw =)

I love you

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 09:28 PM ----------

There is no 'world PvP', they don't want you to grief when you see another player, they want you to be excited upon meeting another player. If you mean WvWvW I think they said that you join with your ''PvE'' gear/skills. Im not sure how it works with levels/side-kicking in WvWvW tbh. But I do know that gaining weapon skills goes extremely fast. Utility/Elite skills might be more difficult.
    Players will be sidekicked to 80 but have their current gear and skills.

My beef is WvWvW happens once every 2 weeks. Not everyone can be on that day because of work and or other things. Its like the fishing contest in wow, I never get to participate because of work.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-01-22 at 09:30 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

A way to look at the GW gear system is that you always have the best gear by default, imagine this.

When a new wow release goes live, you farm the blue honor gear and wait for the first season, you then have the best gear you can have.
    After 1 week of season 1 you will have the best gear you managed to get
    After 2 week of season 1 you will have the best gear you managed to get
    After 3 week of season 1 you will have the best gear you managed to get
    After 4 week of season 1 you will have the best gear you managed to get

Basicly there will always be a cap on how much gear you can get each week and depending on how good you are this will always be the best you can be.
    You will be better geared than some, and be worse geared than some, and still meet both in arenas, rbgs and bgs.

After x amount of weeks you will have full pvp gear, and will not get new gear for 2-3 months, then you are either way better, or way worse than other people, and when fighting in arena, you will meet people who outgear you and people you stomp on because they got worse gear, is this fun? Is that balanced? Wouldent it be better if everyone was equaly geared and it all was decided on skill?

Now imagine in guildwars you will always have the best gear you can have aswell, just that you dont have to replace it all the time.
    Insted you can focus on the looks, also focus on the pvp achivements and stuff like that just as you would in wow, without struggling to find rbg groups, reach caps, and be locked to doing booring and repetetive daily quests and farming the same content week after week.

Is this really that bad? Does anyone get my logic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    My beef is WvWvW happens once every 2 weeks. Not everyone can be on that day because of work and or other things. Its like the fishing contest in wow, I never get to participate because of work.
    My understanding was that a new game started every 2 weeks, but that each game lasted the full two weeks, such that a battle was pretty much always going on, and could be joined at any time for any length of time you wish.

From the Mass info thread:

"This is a game mode where 3 servers are pit against each other in a FFA across 4 persistent maps in a place off the world map called The Mists. This is joinable by anyone at any time, 24/7. Each battle lasts 2 weeks and the winner of the 3 servers then gets matched up with 2 other equally matched servers."

Correct me if I'm wrong, someone who has a primary source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I love you

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 09:28 PM ----------

Players will be sidekicked to 80 but have their current gear and skills.

the battles are constantly going, the fights LAST for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks a winner is declared and the world line ups are changed and a new 2 week long battle begins
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    There is no world PvP. Everyone is on the same faction.
    Im talking about the PvP that has servers fighting for control over a 2 week period. Essentially this is GW2 *world* PvP.