Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Where to improve DPS on Ultraxion

Hey, so As you can see from the logs I am doing around 36k dps.. The rogue is currently beating me by 5k dps.. I feel awful about this(Btw i am trying out fora new guild and that rogue was just testing out my dps in the LFR).. Anyone have any tips for me?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2...ne/?s=30&e=286

Your combustions are pretty weak... and you only have 26 ticks total over two combustions... First the lust was late, you should be lusting on pull or within 3ish seconds (5s is ideal, but for Ultrax you do it slightly early since healers should phase themselves so they get lust on back half).

Specifically where to improve:
    • Better ignites for combustions - 12.8k combustion on opening, 10.1k on second (in execute phase). First one should be 14k+ if not more, and execute should be the same if not higher, say 15k+. This alone would be a 600+ DPS increase.
    • You don't have an insignia and you're at 1526 haste - Tit'tak isn't always going to be up for your first combustion (thus why you only got 12 ticks during a lust), so get yourself to 1755 haste or so, so you only need 5 stacks to hit the 2005 threshold. Give you more consistancy.
    • Unglyph Mirror Image as fire, it's ~180 DPS loss iirc.
    • Hit cap, hit cap, hit cap. At the very least get closer if you can (You're using Lava Walker and you're not hit capped, I know you can reach it) - you missed a combustion broski!

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Your combustions are pretty weak... and you only have 26 ticks total over two combustions... First the lust was late, you should be lusting on pull or within 3ish seconds (5s is ideal, but for Ultrax you do it slightly early since healers should phase themselves so they get lust on back half).

• Better ignites for combustions - 12.8k combustion on opening, 10.1k on second (in execute phase). First one should be 14k+ if not more, and execute should be the same if not higher, say 15k+. This alone would be a 600+ DPS increase.
    • You don't have an insignia and you're at 1526 haste - Tit'tak isn't always going to be up for your first combustion (thus why you only got 12 ticks during a lust), so get yourself to 1755 haste or so, so you only need 5 stacks to hit the 2005 threshold. Give you more consistancy.
    • Hit cap, hit cap, hit cap. At the very least get closer if you can (You're using Lava Walker and you're not hit capped, I know you can reach it) - you missed a combustion broski!
    Hey, thanks for the tips! I am putting hit on my feet, that was a good idea..

And for the combustions.. I really don't know when to use them, I don't want to wait 30seconds for a good one, because it seems bad(use to playing arcane and use CDs all the time)... But, i guess I should just keep waiting for the big combustion?

But, I kind of disagree about the haste statement.. I would rather have the crit then being able to reach the extra tick for the first combustion
    Last edited by Brianmage; 2012-01-22 at 07:13 PM.

Your two gathering professions are also holding you back. You are missing out on a TON of intellect that you would get from crafting professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daninkai View Post
    Your two gathering professions are also holding you back. You are missing out on a TON of intellect that you would get from crafting professions.
    Please check out my armory .. I have LW and JC..

Then what the hell was I looking at when I posted that...

Quote Originally Posted by Daninkai View Post
    Then what the hell was I looking at when I posted that...
    His sig shows it.

Your combustions are pretty weak.

• Better ignites for combustions - 12.8k combustion on opening, 10.1k on second (in execute phase).
      First one should be 14k+ if not more, and execute should be the same if not higher, say 15k+.
      This alone would be a 600+ DPS increase.
    Okay the haste part is something understandable.

However I'm still confuse about the combustion part.
    12k is weak , it should be 14k or higher , I should aim for better ignite.

as "mmo-champion.com/threads/804052-Fire-4.3-Compendium"
    If I let my ignite tick I've successfully wasted 33% of its damage pool.
    So cast Combustion immediately after one or two large crits during lot of procs and CDs.

still I cannot reach that "Better ignites".
    Could you enlighten me how I obtain that "Better ignites"
    or I should just worshiping the GOD of RNG for more luck?

oh yeah, i never update my sig :l

Quote Originally Posted by Nazathal View Post
    Okay the haste part is something understandable.

However I'm still confuse about the combustion part.
    12k is weak , it should be 14k or higher , I should aim for better ignite.

as "mmo-champion.com/threads/804052-Fire-4.3-Compendium"
    If I let my ignite tick I've successfully wasted 33% of its damage pool.
    So cast Combustion immediately after one or two large crits during lot of procs and CDs.

still I cannot reach that "Better ignites".
    Could you enlighten me how I obtain that "Better ignites"
    or I should just worshiping the GOD of RNG for more luck?
    Combustion doesn't take the total remaining damage on DoT's, it takes it's Damage Per Second equivilent. So if you crit for say 60k, you'll have 24k in ignite damage; two seperate 12k ticks/2s - giving you a 6k/sec benefit to Combustion. However for combustions especially you want to roll your ignites if possible. Since it involves timing crits properly it is RNG based, but there are some things you can do (hardcasting pyros at times) aswell as having a DTR will help.

How else do you think 40k+ ignites are possible on Ultraxion, rareish yes, but I've done over a million damage with a single combustion on Ultraxion before (42k ticks iirc)

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.

Deleted
    I see that some people here is suggesting you to take 14k+ ignite for combustions... im like OMG CAT atm :3

Go for the 18k+ ignites i say, get to 1755 haste!

You have 4 set so 1 min cd combustion yes yes all good, pre pot so you can get the 18k ignite in first 10 secs easily. I noticed that you have t13 gloves :3 i hate them no crit the ones from spine are better (got 397 t13 hands but i use the LFR 390 hands from spine, they got more int too! and that crit --> critorgasm)

But if you dont have the t13 legs then dont go for the gloves just yet as you would loose the set bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Ipawnu View Post
    But, I kind of disagree about the haste statement.. I would rather have the crit then being able to reach the extra tick for the first combustion
    You can disagree if you want but your DPS will go up if you hit the combustion haste plateau.
    Disagreeing means you will not improve your DPS on Ultraxion by as much as you could!
    This is maths I'm afraid, there are far fewer subjective obtions.

Deleted
    Heilige i've seen in several post and places something about ignite rolling and the such and i haver never been able to understand it! I was wondering if u could make a comprehensive post or maybe a guide explaining how to increase the goddam ignite damage because i have never seen more than 22k on combustionhelper, today i got a 30k one dunno how i did it!

if u could do that i would owe you so much...

While ignite only displays as one DoT effect, behind the scenes the game keeps track of how many times ignite was procced and the damage "rolls", so it is actually effectively keeping track of one DoT for every time that you crit so it is only ever 40% of the damage of your crits rather than a constantly increasing total.

If you crit again before the two seconds that have to pass before the first ignite tick, the timer is reset back to 0 and ignite will not tick but the damage is stored, if you keep doing this over and over again (through obscene luck) then the ignite will tick for an extreme amount of damage when you finally allow it to tick, although this damage will then fall off as normal. This is the key part here, getting two or more crits less than two seconds apart drives the damage of the next tick higher and higher by not allowing the DoT to actually deal any damage.

This still only delivers 40% of the total damage of all the crits you did, so doesn't increase your overall damage in any way on its own because it is simply storing the damage to be applied in one go rather than over a period of time, but as Combustion uses the current DPS of ignite then using Combustion at such a time will mean that it will do massive amounts of damage. This is the secret to making the very high combustion damage amounts you may have seen on world of logs.

I'm saying that it is Just ilLogical, if I get 1755haste, I will still need 5 stacks for extra tick, 5stacks Is 20seconds to achieve (roughly), and my prepot will runout by then, so please explain the math to me.. Btw I am not trying to be arrogant , I would just like to know where your coming from..
    Last edited by Brianmage; 2012-01-23 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    While ignite only displays as one DoT effect, behind the scenes the game keeps track of how many times ignite was procced and the damage "rolls", so it is actually effectively keeping track of one DoT for every time that you crit so it is only ever 40% of the damage of your crits rather than a constantly increasing total.

If you crit again before the two seconds that have to pass before the first ignite tick, the timer is reset back to 0 and ignite will not tick but the damage is stored, if you keep doing this over and over again (through obscene luck) then the ignite will tick for an extreme amount of damage when you finally allow it to tick, although this damage will then fall off as normal. This is the key part here, getting two or more crits less than two seconds apart drives the damage of the next tick higher and higher by not allowing the DoT to actually deal any damage.

This still only delivers 40% of the total damage of all the crits you did, so doesn't increase your overall damage in any way on its own because it is simply storing the damage to be applied in one go rather than over a period of time, but as Combustion uses the current DPS of ignite then using Combustion at such a time will mean that it will do massive amounts of damage. This is the secret to making the very high combustion damage amounts you may have seen on world of logs.
    You can't push ignite back like that, it will tick every 2 seconds even if you keep critting.

You can ignore going into the regular realm, since it was LFR and all.

Um, how so?
    Loevty, Level 85 Troll Mage | Khazuals 2004-2011

How so what? Mirror Image being a DPS loss for fire? It's been a pretty well known fact that it's DPS Neutral for Frost, DPS gain for Arcane, and a DPS loss for Fire.

As far as combustions, take a look - he has 2 that hit and 1 that missed.

Never knew that, Gues ill unglyphed my mirror image then.

By the way, When is the right time to combust What I mean is at what rate?
    I usualy get 10-15k ignite but I see pyro crits that goes 20k-30k (40-59k on buff modified bosses like madness)
    Is it ok to use it at 10k-15k ignite? Its a dps loss waiting too long on combustion since its cd is short with 4 piece T13 but im having a doubt about using it at low ignite.

I use Combustion helper. Thats where I get the numbers. 1505 haste and I got 4 piece T13. I have the 2 BiS trink for Fire mage
    Last edited by Tomia; 2012-01-24 at 07:32 AM.