Thread: vibroblades

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    ok, i was just trying to be a smartass, but since you're taking to an extremely literal sense.......its a video game you buffoons, lol *snip*
    Honestly, I think you are taking this conversation a tad bit too seriously. Nobody is saying the animations needs to be on par with professional choreography from a live-action movie. So take your own advice and "chill" a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You can't exactly compare a live action scene to a video game, games have technical limitations. You will never get what you want in a hotkey based game without sacfricing playablility. Lightsabers may be light but swings still observe the lay of physics. Strong blows are simply hard to block and something tells me the sabers in SWTOR don't exact disintegrate anything in one hit. Canonically, there are a bunch of lightsabers out there, anything that might get hit with a saber is reinforced. They aren't the one hit wonders your see in the movie.
    Aye, like I said, the animation will never be of the quality you see in a live-action choreography. However, you can bring all the attacks up to the standard that is already established in the game. Earlier I brought up attacks like Ravage and Vicious Slash. Compare those animations to that of Sundering Assault. That kind of quality is easily established. Even part of the ravage animation is really good, the first two cuts of it. It is only the last attack which is out of place. You can actually observe the animation and separate it into two sections; 1) where the blade rises, which clearly makes it look like the lightsaber is as heavy as a sledgehammer and the 2) where the lightsaber falls down and lands, again making the impression of a really heavy weapon, swung with full body weight behind it.

As to the laws of physics, they are the reason I don't like some of the game's animations and why I brought up the nature of the lightsabers, and why you would never swing it the way the characters in the game do. Unless your target somehow blocks the attack, the weapon would hit and pass right through the target, throwing you off balance and in worst case on your face, unless you pull it back. Either way, you will either be in a vulnerable and bad position right after the strike or you just wasted an enormous amount of energy into one swing. That's an incredibly inefficient way to do combat and something any sane martial artist would know not to do.

This is why I was making references to the movies, because you can clearly see a progression in the way lightsaber combat choreography evolves, starting from ep 4 to 6 and then leaping to ep 1 and finally to eps 2 and 3, where it now looks the way I had always imagined lightsaber combat works at a high level. Even looking at, deep, dark side character like darth maul, palpatine, count dooku, and anakin, who are clearly aggressive in their fighting styles, you will not see the kind of attacks that you see in this game, which essentially looks off balance and like your character was waving around with a land-drill.

Now ofc, for the uncounted time, I'm not saying the combat should look as cool as the movies. Many of the attacks look nice and believable. Just fixed the rest on that same level and I'd be content.

hmm, i wonder if thats why the coruscant commendation vibroblade never lit up (i was playing on a sage at that point... no melee lol) i guess im gonna have to experiment with this on my knight

and as to the ot discussion about the saber styles, the only thing that bugs me is the way each class holds their saber when not attacking. how hard could it be to change the running animation for a guardian/jugg for 2 diff stances (soresu/shien since everyone starts with shii-cho) i think a little thing like that would add a lot of depth to each specific character... but since guardians dont have rage, whats the explanation for their attacks looking like they're swinging a truck at mostly gang members?