10+ Year Old Account

Smuggler/IA question

heya all

so i was thinking about makeing a smuggler or a IA alt but dont know anything about them =/ so could any1 explain the basics off them, and wich advanced class is "best" for dmg/PvP and/or wich spec in those that would be best for lvling =)

thx <3
    so now when its 2 months later, has anything changed for the smuggler and IA? my IA is sniper so im wondering how a smuggler squaldrel would be or if i should go "sniper" (gunslinger) on him aswell
    Last edited by Draknalor186; 2012-04-23 at 11:17 AM.

Scoundrel

Scoundrel is a melee class with one healing and two dps specs. Key feature is a proc named 'Upper hand. It enables the use of certain abilities that define the class and is consumed on their usage. It also stacks to 2, adds a percentage of healing and damage when active. In all specs you are to maintain an uptime of a 30 second buff that can be used when 'Upper hand' procced and that restores energy. Also utilises stealth. Has a vanish-like ability, a group stealth ability and ability that raises the level of stealth for a short period of time (very-very useful while leveling).

Healing is druid-like with one single target hot that stacks two times and one multi target hot. There's also a castable heal that talented procs 'Upper hand'. There are two heals that use this proc - one is castable and one is instant for no energy. There's also a dispell that heals for decent amounts when talented (not sure if bug) and a channeling low-healing spell that restores energy. All in all I feel the spec is pretty balanced and decent. Maybe somewhat lacks in PVP.

Two other dps I am not that familiar with. One is more about bleeds and one adds another melee attack, but also uses bleed as a damage buff. Tried the second one in PVP. Was fun, much like rogue pre-resilience doing lots of damage on opener but falling behind when caught offguard.

I've leveled in healing spec with a tanking companion. Soloed lots of champion mobs and heroic quests along the way. After 40 it felt like I could do better in a full dps spec though.

Havent' played in 1.1

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    heya all

so i was thinking about makeing a smuggler or a IA alt but dont know anything about them =/ so could any1 explain the basics off them, and wich advanced class is "best" for dmg/PvP and/or wich spec in those that would be best for lvling =)

thx <3

If you are asking what to spec of the month is. No one knows yet.

honestly you are better off playing yourself and finding what class suits you. Not asking OTHER people what suits them.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Playing a marksman sniper (IA) at level 32, just finished act 1 Not really got that much experience obviously since I'm not even 50 but figured I could share my leveling/pvp experiences.

As sniper and especially marksman it's a lot about being in cover, if you can keep people away and stay in cover as much as possible then you pwn stuff up. I personally find it really enjoyable, both when questing and in PvP, you have nice burst and can quite efficiently snatch some killing blows There's quite a bit of knockbacks, roots, blinds, stuns etc to make use of on a not too long CD. Lining up explosive probe with ambush+instant snipe/followthrough/takedown can make you smile

Not sure what you're playing atm but if you haven't got a healer and that interests you at all I'd probably roll with operative though and have the ability to do something else than deeps -.-

Operative IA. For the most part it's a rogue. But it has a healing tree so you can get into more groups.

My experience is with the Imperial Agent, though the Smuggler is exactly the same just on the Republic side.

My only toon is a level 50 Operative. You can go subtlety or assassin rouge with the concealment and lethality trees respectively. The medic tree works somewhat like a resto druid. All Operatives have stealth so you save mucho time by just sneaking by enemies while questing.

The other advanced class is the Sniper which is one of two pure DPS classes. I didn't choose this advanced class because I like being able to fill more than one role. However, snipers are in somewhat high demand in PvP alongside sorcs, because there are only three ranged DPS advanced classes.

I'd say the best for leveling would be a concealment Operative as you can sneak through quests a lot easier. I haven't heard anything about snipers doing crazy AOE damage at early levels, so I'll say Operative is easier (I could be wrong).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played a smuggler in beta and loved it. I went Gunslinger.i would have gone live with it but it was too close to launch and didn't want to repeat stuff so so. IA is the same mechanic wise but the story is more spy drama while the smuggler is more sarcasm and has a big Han Solo kind of feel to it.
    You really can't go wrong with either

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Cover mechanic isn't for everyone. If you give it a try, you should know by level 15 whether it's a deal breaker or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you go sniper/gunslinger. I suggest the "bomb" tree for leveling. It's good damage and massive survivability.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

so now when its 2 months later, has anything changed for the smuggler and IA? my IA is sniper so im wondering how a smuggler squaldrel would be or if i should go "sniper" (gunslinger) on him aswell
    Gunslinger and Sniper will always be the same as each other, mechanics wise. The storyline will be different, but a gunslinger will player EXACTLY the same as your sniper. Same damage, same moves, same abilities, different names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Gunslinger and Sniper will always be the same as each other, mechanics wise. The storyline will be different, but a gunslinger will player EXACTLY the same as your sniper. Same damage, same moves, same abilities, different names.
    well my trooper is commando and my BH is merc so thats the exact same thing, so thats why i was wondering, if both IA and smuggler should be same spec or if i should try the other one for the smuggler

well my trooper is commando and my BH is merc so thats the exact same thing, so thats why i was wondering, if both IA and smuggler should be same spec or if i should try the other one for the smuggler
    If the spec works for you, go for it. I'm planning my Smuggler to be the same as my Agent, and my Trooper to be the same as my BH, simply due to the fun I have playing them.

It's up to you. Do you want to basically play the exact same toon with a different storyline, or do you want to do something different?

Me, if I roll a new toon, I don't want it to be exactly the same as my prior one, so I do something different. Since I leveled my assassin as madness, when I roll a shadow, I'll play kinetics or infiltration, since if I want to play the other spec, I can just play my other toon.

I personally have a Sniper and a GS, because both classes are badass