Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If sexual attraction was removed completely as well as just the act of sex, then i think males and females would still just hang out; you can have an interest in the other person outside of sexual attraction, even if it's the opposite sex.

I like the question, however. Because i think the majority of male/female interaction, even if not by intention, is subconsciously driven by sexual attraction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always got along with women quite well, I find that they have much better social skills when not gossiping :P

when i hang out with my male friends the conversation is much less likely to go in interesting directions. I also am not into watching sports ( playing is a diff story, i love playing sports ^_^ ) so that does isolate me from the topics of many of my male friends ( but understanding what someone is saying isn't quite as useful if you don't know who they're talking about :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyssia View Post
    I've always got along with women quite well, I find that they have much better social skills when not gossiping :P

when i hang out with my male friends the conversation is much less likely to go in interesting directions. I also am not into watching sports ( playing is a diff story, i love playing sports ^_^ ) so that does isolate me from the topics of many of my male friends ( but understanding what someone is saying isn't quite as useful if you don't know who they're talking about :P
    So your male friends like sports, you don't. That's a matter of taste not gender, I've no interest in sports but would talk your ears off on anything remotely related to literature or sociology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    So your male friends like sports, you don't. That's a matter of taste not gender, I've no interest in sports but would talk your ears off on anything remotely related to literature or sociology.
    in my case it would imply that my male friends are less intellectually stimulating than their female cohorts :P
    which would be anecdotal evidence leading me to believe that women are more interesting ( even when sex is off the table :P )

so in short I guess my answer is absolutely to whether i think i'd hang out with women in a word where sex didn't exist :P

on a side note, have you guys seen the invention of lying? it's quite ... different.
    Last edited by Elyssia; 2012-01-27 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Idk maybe a couple of times to attempt to understand them but after turning 9 I really don't get women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I guess I have three close female friends. One I have zero attraction towards, one is married and thus is off the table for all intents and purposes, and one I'd hook up with if I were single. I have no problem having close female friends that I have no attraction to. I don't necessarily prefer male or female company in general.

Deleted
    I have plenty of female friends I'm not attracted to. Once I think of them as friends, the thought of anything more feels wrong. My previous best friend is a queer female and we never had any attraction to each other, despite both liking women.
    Men is out of the question of course.
    Not sure if I apply to this situation specifically

as a straight male, sex isn't a desirable possibility with 100% of my male friends. I'm friends with all of them anyway. There is nothing about being a male or female that would suggest you couldn't be friends with people of a certain gender. It's down to the specific individual, rather than his or her gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

Deleted
    Ofc people would, most of my friends have been women since childhood.

My best friend is currently a woman. Coming from a hetro male here. Why would sex even come into the equation unless you are a twisted person?

Two year old necro

If I can be attracted to both sexes, does that mean i can't have friends? :/

If looking at my closest friends, both sexes, some very much attractive.. Kinda closet BI and all my male friends are straight, so it doesn't even cross my mind to have anything with them. Same goes for female friends, even though i have been with some previously when younger. I don't look at them sexually now though.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    My best friend is currently a woman. Coming from a hetro male here. Why would sex even come into the equation unless you are a twisted person?
    It wouldn't have to, obviously, but if you're that deeply attached to a person, and they happen to be of a gender you romantically tend towards, then I can't imagine the sexual chemistry would never simmer every now and then. I've always been skeptical about the whole "best friends" thing with the opposite sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

I already do interact mostly with males as friends, even though sex is completely off the table (I'm happily married). Never was much of a girls' girl, so found more perks and interest in friendship with men.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like video games and watching some sports, so that tends to lead to me being friends with more males than I probably would otherwise.

The problem with this question is that it varies from person to person. Some people may find themselves more easily attached than others. For example, I admit I would not be able to hold down a platonic sexual relationship. However, I know others who are able to do it just fine. It really depends on how your brain chemistry is wired and how we are socially developed; no two people are the same.

Well.... yes, most relationships arent done with the prospect of sex, if they are then its already a tad dishonest and the expectation of sex when the other has none is what leads to the current whinny "friendzone" kind of crap.
    Plenty of female friends, majority never had a thought of having sex with, even if they are fairly good looking... the most normal occurrence is to see them as that, a friend.
    That said i did end up having relationships with a couple of previous friends, but it was something that evolved over time and when i first met i would have never imagined it would happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Was having this argument with a woman I'm seeing and thought I'd bring it to you good people of the internet. Would males / females interact for pleasure (being just friends) if sex were completely out of the equation? This doesn't just mean the physical act of sex but all male / female attraction a purely platonic relationship. Imagine the whole attraction side was off the table, would you talk to, hang out with, be friends with members of the opposite sex for pleasure?
    Yes, though the friendship would be unlikely to be initiated unless the initial spark was there for at least one of the parties involved. I'm very close friends with a girl right now, for example, that I haven't had an attraction to in more than a year, but I was initially attracted to her.

I have a lot of female acquaintances I get together with occasionally that I was never attracted to, but not close friends.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Was having this argument with a woman I'm seeing and thought I'd bring it to you good people of the internet. Would males / females interact for pleasure (being just friends) if sex were completely out of the equation? This doesn't just mean the physical act of sex but all male / female attraction a purely platonic relationship. Imagine the whole attraction side was off the table, would you talk to, hang out with, be friends with members of the opposite sex for pleasure?

I say this because my opinion was that if there was no sex there is no way in hell I would interact with women. We're two separate creatures and see the world in completely different ways I would prefer to just hang out with guys who are like minded and of similar temper. This of course sent her into a minor tantrum of 'I thought we were friends, all you want is sex'... while I don't think that's true maybe there's a little truth to it. If not for animal attraction I wouldn't want anything to do with her or other females. Don't get me wrong, we have fun, I like to hang out with her but it's a hell of a lot more fun hanging out with my boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_lh5fR4DMA

DO NOT GET FIXATED ON THE ACTUAL ACT OF SEX, there are no right and wrong answers just a question that is good to ask yourself and please be honest with yourself.

I suppose I would in theory, but it has yet to actually happen. No girls I meet are similar enough to me to strike a close but platonic friendship. And if I found her attractive on top of it, it would never be a normal friendship.

Deleted
    Most of my friends are women and some of them are attractive. I had a short fling with one of them but that doesn't mean I intend or expect that to happen when starting the friendship with others. I don't get on very well with other guys so I don't find them more fun to hang out with, so generally I find myself preferring friendships with women too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never had a single female friend I didn't end up having sex with while I was currently single too.

Once you're married or in a committed relationship and you're friends with another couple that's fine. Though it'd be really weird if my friend's wife called me up to go do something (go out to eat or go to a bar and watch a Yankees game or something) without her husband (my buddy) and my wife. In fact I'm pretty sure my wife would put the kibash on that pretty quickly (not that I'd even agree in the first place).
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect