Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

RUMOUR: Xbox 720 will not support used games.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html

What do you think of this?

Baring in mind it may not be true of course, but hypothetically what if it turns out to be so?

As an xbox user for the last 6 or so years, I have to say if MS do this and Sony don't, I'll be turning to the PS4 next gen.

I don't see why Microsoft WOULDNT support it, I'm pretty sure they lose money by not doing it. They're not going to take the risk of losing customers to Sony either.

Keep in mind this is a rumor, try not to take it too seriously for now.

Deleted
    I'm not so sure that this is something that they would introduce, it would piss of a huge community. I know that, like you, if they did this I would not buy it at all. I feel that introducing this would probably blow a huge hole in their sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I guess I won't buy the next console from Microsoft (or Sony or Nintendo, if they get the same bright idea) -- simple as that.

I don't buy used games, but I won't condone nor support such myopic/anti-consumer behaviour either...

additionally: I don't think it'll happen anyway; it would effectively kill the rental business for that console in one fell swoop. Gamefly would not be happy, nor would gamers who like to borrow games from one another...
    Last edited by Scratches; 2012-01-26 at 01:53 AM.

I think it would cause a outrage from gamers.

The main reason companies like Microsoft would do it is because they do not see the profits when someone buys a used game from Gamespot.

Shops Lose money, Developers and suppliers gain money.
    No Second Hand games, less pirated games

I'm all for, you can easily buy straight from the supplier. The Developers and suppliers do not make money from second hand games, who are the ones who actually produce the game itself and deserve all credit.

I've gamed for 21 years, all the way back to my Mega Drive, and not once have I felt the need to buy a pirate game, or use hacks. I enjoy my gaming and the challenge it brings when playing SP or MP. If this cuts back what ruins my gaming? It gets my vote!
    Processor (CPU) - Intel Corei7 Six Core Processor i7-6850K (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
    Memory (RAM) - 32GB HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3200MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card (Dual) - 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR
    Storage Drives - 1440GB HyperXSAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR|530MB/sW)
    8TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5900RPM, 64MB CACHE

10+ Year Old Account
    If this proves to be true it is a huge shot in the foot by microsoft. Me, and A LOT of people worldwide like to lend their games to their friends or rent/buy used games. Even thought this channels a lot of possible revenue from MS to shops like gamespot who sell used games, it also helps sell more consoles, as there's people who only buy used games because they're more affordable, or like to enchange games with their friends when they complete them.

As an example, i own about 15 games for xbox360, the majority of them were bought when i had a part time job and had that fixed income to spend on games. But i have 4 friends who also have the console and we agreed never to buy the same game another of us already has (unless it is a game to be played online). By doing that i managed to play around 50 different games. Yeah, the companies aren't getting paid 4 times for the game, but we as consumers who cannot dish out hundreds of euros to play different games, get the upper hand.
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2012-01-26 at 01:59 AM.

Developers absolutely hate used games because it directly cuts into their profits. I don't usually buy used games, so I wouldn't really mind if this were the case. It would certainly help out the developers.

edit: As long as I can play my games on other consoles by logging into my account, that is.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolyphic View Post
    Shops Lose money, Developers and suppliers gain money.
    No Second Hand games, less pirated games

I'm all for, you can easily buy straight from the supplier. The Developers and suppliers do not make money from second hand games, who are the ones who actually produce the game itself and deserve all credit.

I've gamed for 21 years, all the way back to my Mega Drive, and not once have I felt the need to buy a pirate game, or use hacks. I enjoy my gaming and the challenge it brings when playing SP or MP. If this cuts back what ruins my gaming? It gets my vote!

While I agree with you I see other reasons this is bad. Say me and my friend both have an xbox720. I want to bring my game over to play at his house. Well with this I won't be able too.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    If this proves to be true it is a huge shot in the foot by microsoft. Me, and A LOT of people worldwide like to lend their games to their friends or rent/buy used games. Even thought this channels a lot of possible revenue from MS to shops like gamespot who sell used games, it also helps sell more consoles, as there's people who only buy used games because they're more affordable, or like to enchange games with their friends when they complete them.
    They don't make money though via console sales - they make there money with the licensing. So of course it is in their best interest to limit reselling of games.

If this happens it is the end of consoles, the shine they have over the PC is the 2nd hand value of limited edition games over the years, think NES/SNES for example.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    While I agree with you I see other reasons this is bad. Say me and my friend both have an xbox720, I want to bring my game over to play at his house. Well with this I won't be able too.
    If they attach the games to your Xbox Live account instead of your console, then you can play it anywhere you can log in. I'd expect them to go this route.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    They don't make money though via console sales - they make there money with the licensing. So of course it is in their best interest to limit reselling of games.
    If I remember right they actually lose money producing consoles.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartnet View Post
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217257p1.html

What do you think of this?

Baring in mind it may not be true of course, but hypothetically what if it turns out to be so?

As an xbox user for the last 6 or so years, I have to say if MS do this and Sony don't, I'll be turning to the PS4 next gen.
    Why, Becuase you cant save 4 dollars on a used game? Rarely anymore are used games vs new games worth the effort to get. Most of the time its really close to a 4 dollar difference. Most online games have the online pass now that only come with the new game that you have to buy if you rent the game or buy it used, not really different.

Anyways still a rumor and from ign so we all know how credible they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    That is true. I don't know the exact values for the 360, but for the ps3 i think at the date of its release, Sony lost 50 dollars (i think it was around that) for each console they sold.

But at the end of the day, if im forced to only play 1st hand games, and i cant share games with my friends, ill fully return to PC gaming, and a lot of other people will too, im positive.

Something tells me this rumor is false. It would essentially be corporate suicide. The amount of money they'd lose by cutting off so many customers from even using the system in the first place vastly outweighs the gains. I'd hope Microsoft is smart enough to know that.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-01-26 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Why, Becuase you cant save 4 dollars on a used game? Rarely anymore are used games vs new games worth the effort to get. Most of the time its really close to a 4 dollar difference. Most online games have the online pass now that only come with the new game that you have to buy if you rent the game or buy it used, not really different.

Anyways still a rumor and from ign so we all know how credible they are.
    I remember games like Fable 3, the last dragon ball game, and a couple more being in the used bin with a 20%+ discount on the same week of release, on a Game store here in my coutry.

This is incredibly dumb if true.

personally im still kind of stunned that physical disks are used for video games still

if this kills hardware im all for it

Deleted
    Haven't bought a used game for years, wouldn't care.